SUNDAY 19 JUNE 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Bombay Mix: AFTER HOURS d. Martin Scorsese, 1985 + JAGTE RAHO d. Amit Mitra & Sombhu Mitra, 1956 presented by SUPAKINO at Rio Cinema (19 JUN 12:30 + 15:00).
AFTER HOURS: “Martin Scorsese’s cult 80s neo-noir nightmare AFTER HOURS is set in a single night in New York City. Griffin Dunne meets Rosanna Arquette in a café after work triggering a series of increasingly absurd encounters and dangerous situations. Chased by an angry mob, the guy just wants to get home. Will he get there in one piece?”
JAGTE RAHO: “Raj Kapoor produced and starred in this award-winning noir nightmare from the 50s set in a single night. Raj Kapoor plays a country peasant in the big city who inadvertently sees all the seedy and corrupt goings-on in an apartment block. Chased by an angry mob, the guy just wants a drink of water. Will he get it without being caught?”
Host Ranjit S. Ruprai and guest Dr. Kulraj Phullar will be exploring the connections between After Hours & Jagte Raho, both films in this double bill, before the screenings.
- Bombay Mix: AFTER HOURS d. Martin Scorsese, 1985 + JAGTE RAHO d. Amit Mitra & Sombhu Mitra, 1956 presented by SUPAKINO at Rio Cinema (19 JUN 12:30 + 15:00).
- CYRANO d. Joe Wright, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (19 JUN 17:00).
- THE HARDER THEY COME d. Perry Henzell, 1972 presented by The Brixton Project in celebration of Windrush at Pop Brixton (19 JUN 18:30 – FREE!).
- LICORICE PIZZA d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 presented by Deeper Into Movies at MOTH Club (19 JUN 19:30).
- LISTEN d. Ana Rocha de Sousa, 2020 + Q&A with the writers/producers of the film at Genesis Cinema (19 JUN 16:30).
- MR LANDSBERGIS d. Sergei Loznitsa, 2021 + Zoom Q&A with the director at Bertha DocHouse (19 JUN 13:30).
- PRINCESS OF THE ROW d. Van Maximilian Carlson, 2019 presented by Bohemia Media at The Apple Tree EC1R (19 JUN 17:00).
- SCARFACE d. Howard Hawks & Richard Rosson, 1932 at Riverside Studios (19 JUN 14:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- YENTL 35mm d. Barbra Streisand, 1983 (19 JUN 14:25).
- TOUCH OF EVIL 35mm d. Orson Welles, 1958 (19 JUN 17:25).
- ENTER THE DRAGON [Uncut] d. Robert Clouse, 1973 (19 JUN 18:15).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- INTERSTELLAR 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (19 JUN 20:00).
1982 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- THE DARK CRYSTAL d. Jim Henson & Frank Oz, 1982 (19 JUN 12:10 – 4K).
BARBRA STREISAND STRAND [A STREIS-STRAND, IF YOU WILL] at The Prince Charles
- YENTL 35mm d. Barbra Streisand, 1983 (19 JUN 14:25).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AFTER BRESSON… at BFI Southbank
- CERTAIN WOMEN d. Kelly Reichardt, 2016 (19 JUN 13:10).
CELEBRATING ANNA MAGNANI at The Garden Cinema
- ROME, OPEN CITY d. Roberto Rossellini, 1945 (19 JUN 17:00).
CELEBRATING FILM NOIR at The Garden Cinema
- OUT OF THE PAST d. Jacques Tourneur, 1947 (19 JUN 15:00).
- DOUBLE INDEMNITY d. Billy Wilder, 1944 (19 JUN 19:05).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up
- THE WHITE RIBBON d. Michael Haneke, 2009 (19 JUN 17:45).
- MEMORIA d. Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2021 (19 JUN 20:15).
JUDY GARLAND: A STAR IS REBORN at BFI Southbank
- A STAR IS BORN d. George Cukor, 1954 (19 JUN 14:40).
- JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG d. Stanley Kramer, 1961 (19 JUN 17:20).
LONG-ASS MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- INTERSTELLAR 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (19 JUN 20:00 – 168mins).
MORRICONE at Picturehouse Cinemas
- THE THING d. John Carpenter, 1982 (19 JUN various).
OF SIN & SALVATION: THE CINEMA OF ROBERT BRESSON at BFI Southbank
- THE DEVIL, PROBABLY aka Le Diable probablement Restoration d. Robert Bresson, 1977 (19 JUN 18:10).
- Re-releases: PICKPOCKET d. Robert Bresson, 1959 (03 JUN to 30 JUN various).
THE WAVE: ITALIAN WOMEN FILMMAKERS at Ciné Lumière
- SWORN VIRGIN aka Vergine Giurata d. Laura Bispuri, 2015 + Short: TOILETS (19 JUN 17:00).
- DUCK IN ORANGE SAUCE aka L’anatra all’Arancia d. Luciano Salce, 1975 + Intro by Prof. Richard Dyer (19 JUN 14:00).
WORLD CINEMA E-PASSPORT at Everyman Belsize Park
- THE HANDMAIDEN d. Park Chan-wook, 2016 (19 JUN 14:00).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (19 JUN 20:35).
- Barnes Film Festival (16 to 22 JUN).
- London Bengali Film Festival (21 to 26 JUN).
- London Indian Film Festival (23 JUN to 05 JUL).
- Malarkey Film Festival: Gap The Mind (23 JUN).
- Oska Bright Film Festival 2022: Queer Freedom (23 JUN).
- RAFT Festival (10 JUN to 08 JUL).
- The Wave: Italian Women Filmmakers (15 to 19 JUN).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- THE UNBEARABLE WEIGHT OF MASSIVE TALENT open captions (19 JUN 21:15).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- LIAR LIAR (19 JUN 21:30).
- Also 17 to 23 JUN (various dates/times): A SONG FOR CESAR d. Abel Sanchez & Andres Alegria, 2020 at: Bertha DocHouse // CHA CHA REAL SMOOTH dir Cooper Raiff, 2022 at: Barbican / Everyman Cinemas // DESTERRO d. Maria Clara Escobar, 2020 at: ICA // LISTEN d. Ana Rocha De Sousa, 2022 at: Peckhamplex // THE LOST GIRLS d. Livia De Paolis, 2022 at: Everyman Cinemas // PLEASURE dir Ninja Thyberg, 2021 (some with recorded Q&A) at: Barbican / ICA // SAMP d. Flavia Mastrella & Antonio Rezza, 2020 at: ICA // SHADOW FLOWERS d. Seung-jun Yi, 2019 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Bohemia Media presents REBEL DYKES at The Apple Tree (03 JUL 2022)
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE PSYCHO SEQUELS at The Cinema Museum (24 JUL 2022)
- Create Hong Kong & Focus Hong Kong present Making Waves – Navigators of Hong Kong Cinema (08 to 10 JUL 2022)
- Crap Film Club presents TAMMY AND THE T-REX at The Old Queens Head (14 JUL 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.