SUNDAY 20 MARCH 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
REBECCA 35mm d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1940 presented by The Vito Project LGBTQ+ Film Club at The Cinema Museum (20 MAR 18:00) / Part of Re-Opening The Celluloid Closet.
“The season season kicks off with a screening of Alfred Hitchcock’s 1940 multi–Oscar Winning classic REBECCA (1940), which is being shown on a rare 35mm print! Based on Daphne du Maurier’s novel, this popular classic tells the story of a young woman (Joan Fontaine) who marries the debonair widower Maxim De Winter (Laurence Olivier) only to find out that she must live in the shadow of his former wife, Rebecca, who died mysteriously several years earlier. Not only does the young wife have to come to grips with the terrible secret of her handsome, cold husband, she must also deal with the jealous housekeeper Mrs. Danvers (Judith Anderson), whose obsession with the late Rebecca provides some of cinema’s most notorious depictions of suppressed queer desire. Despite many remakes for film and TV, this arguably remains the most hauntingly unforgettable return to Mandalay.” (The Vito Project)
- CATHY COME HOME d. Ken Loach, 1966 + Q&A with Jon Glackin, (Streets Kitchen founder) & Andrea Gilbert (Labour Homelessness Campaign) at ArtHouse Crouch End (20 MAR 10:00 – FREE!/Donations requested).
- ENCOUNTERS: Ukrainian Fundraiser Programme at ActOne Cinema (20 MAR 15:45).
- THE GODFATHER: 50TH ANNIVERSARY SCREENING d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1972 at Olympic Studios (20 MAR 19:20).
- IDRISH (ইদ্রিস) d. Adam Lewis Jacob, 2021 + The artist in conversation with Muhammad Idrish, Claude Nouk & Jemma Desai at LUX (20 MAR 2022 // Film: 14:00-17:00 / Panel: 15:00).
- John Akomfrah presented by We Are Parable at Rio Cinema (20 MAR 15:30).
- LAST NIGHT IN SOHO d. Edgar Wright, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (20 MAR 17:00).
- London Short Film Festival: Award Winners: Catford Mews (20 MAR 13:15); Rio Cinema (20 MAR 13:30).
- NOSFERATU d. F.W. Murnau, 1922 at Rio Cinema (20 MAR 12:45 & 18:15).
- Ukraine Fundraiser: OLGA d. Elie Grappe, 2022 at: Catford Mews(20 MAR 15:45 / 22 MAR 12:45 / 24 MAR 21:00); The Lexi Cinema (20 MAR 15:00); Picturehouse Cinemas (20 MAR various).
- OXIDE GHOSTS: THE BRASS EYE TAPES + Q&A with director Michael Cumming at The Gate (20 MAR 17:00).
- REBECCA 35mm d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1940 presented by The Vito Project LGBTQ+ Film Club at The Cinema Museum (20 MAR 18:00) / Part of Re-Opening The Celluloid Closet.
- THREE FLOORS d. Nanni Moretti, 2021 presented by CinemaItaliaUK at Riverside Studios (20 MAR 15:00).
- THE WAGES OF FEAR 16mm d. Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1953 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (20 MAR 14:00 / 24 MAR 19:30).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 04 APR various); PAN’S LABYRINTH 35mm aka El Laberinto del Fauno d. Guillermo del Toro, 2006 (20 MAR 18:05).
1982 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL d. Steven Spielberg, 1982 (20 MAR 15:30).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 (20 MAR 20:45).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): PARIS 13TH DISTRICT aka Les Olympiades d. Jacques Audiard, 2021 (18 to 31 MAR various).
CLOSE UP ON WONG KAR WAI at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for full listings): CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (20 MAR 20:15).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT REVISITED at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): FAHRENHEIT 451 d. François Truffaut, 1966 (20 MAR 14:00).
GENERATION AFRICA at Bertha DocHouse
- Includes (check venue for full listings): ZINDER d. Aïcha Macky, 2021 (20 MAR 16:00); MAKONGO d. Elvis Sabin Ngaibino, 2020 (19 MAR 16:00 / 20 MAR 18:00).
MARA MATTUSCHKA: DIFFERENT FACES OF AN ANTI-DIVA at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LEGAL ERRORIST / RUNNING SUSHI / BURNING PALACE d. Mara Mattuschka & Chris Haring, 2005-2009 (20 MAR 18:45).
- Includes (check venue for listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 04 APR various).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): ONLY YESTERDAY d. Isao Takahata, 1991 (from 19 MAR); WHISPER OF THE HEART d. Yoshifumi Kondô, 1995 (from 19 MAR); HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2004 (from 19 MAR).
THE TWISTED TALES OF GUILLERMO DEL TORO at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): PAN’S LABYRINTH 35mm aka El Laberinto del Fauno d. Guillermo del Toro, 2006 (20 MAR 18:05).
- The Banff Mountain Film Festival (14 to 25 MAR).
- BFI Flare (16 to 27 MAR).
- Essay Film Festival (19 MAR to 23 APR).
- Hong Kong Film Festival (19 to 27 MAR).
- Human Rights Watch Film Festival (17 to 25 MAR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 03 APR).
- London Short Film Festival: Award Winners (19 & 20 MAR).
- Mois de la Francophonie (MAR).
- Oska Bright Film Festival (19 & 21 MAR).
- Also 18 to 24 MAR (various dates/times): EUROPA d. Haider Rashid, 2021 at: ICA // HIVE aka Zgjoi d. Blerta Basholi, 2021 at: ActOne Cinema / Barbican / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas // LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 at: ICA / Prince Charles Cinema // RIVER d. Jennifer Peedom, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Picturehouse Cinemas // SIN LA HABANA d. Kaveh Nabatian, 2021 at: JW3 (from 20 MAR) // THREE FLOORS d. Nanni Moretti, 2021 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / JW3 // X d. Ti West, 2022 at: Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Bohemia Media presents REBEL DYKES at The Apple Tree (03 JUL 2022)
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE PSYCHO SEQUELS at The Cinema Museum (24 JUL 2022)
- Create Hong Kong & Focus Hong Kong present Making Waves – Navigators of Hong Kong Cinema (08 to 10 JUL 2022)
- Crap Film Club presents TAMMY AND THE T-REX at The Old Queens Head (14 JUL 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.