SUNDAY 20 NOVEMBER 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE GHOST OF RICHARD HARRIS d. Adrian Sibley, 2022 + Q&A with the director, raising funds for Hackney Foodbank at Rio Cinema (20 NOV 15:15).
“Richard Harris was one of the most remarkable actors of his generation. In a career spanning five decades, performances on stage and screen brought him acclaim and numerous awards. He was also a singer with five chart-topping albums. He wrote and published poetry and for the tabloid press he was a notorious hellraiser. Adrian Sibley’s fascinating documentary offers a revealing insight into both his private life and public career.”
“Each of his three sons – Jared, Jamie and Damian – brings their own perspective to bear as they summon the ghost of their late father to the screen. Unseen family footage, contributions from the likes of Vanessa Redgrave and Russell Crowe, and extracts from 15 years of audio interviews with journalist Joe Jackson reveal the complex and, at times, contradictory character of a legend.”
The screening will be followed by a live Q&A discussion with the film’s director Adrian Sibley and Rio Executive Director Oliver Meek. The profits from this screening will be donated to Hackney Foodbank.
- A NEW OLD PLAY d. Qiu Jiongjiong, 2021 + Intro by Judy Harris, presented by Plus One Films & Filming East Festival at The Garden Cinema (20 NOV 14:20).
- BIG VS SMALL d. Minna Dufton, 2022 at Catford Mews (20 NOV 15:55 / 23 NOV 18:15).
- THE BLUES BROTHERS [Extended Version] d. John Landis, 1980 at The Prince Charles (20 NOV 20:15 – 4K).
- COMPARTMENT NO. 6 aka Hytti nro 6 d. Juho Kuosmanen, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (20 NOV 17:00).
- DESCENDANT d. Margaret Brown, 2022 + Q&A with Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson at The Ritzy (20 NOV 12:00).
- THE DRAUGHTSMAN’S CONTRACT d. Peter Greenaway, 1982 at Riverside Studios (20 NOV 14:00 / 21 NOV 12:10).
- THE GHOST OF RICHARD HARRIS d. Adrian Sibley, 2022 + Q&A with the director, raising funds for Hackney Foodbank at Rio Cinema (20 NOV 15:15).
- THE GODFATHER 16mm d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1972 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (20 NOV 14:45).
- KANAVAL: A PEOPLE’S HISTORY OF HAITI IN SIX CHAPTERS d. Leah Gordon & Eddie Hutton Mills, 2022 + Q&A with the directors at Curzon Soho (20 NOV 15:00).
- KNIVES OUT d. Rian Johnson, 2019 at The Prince Charles (20 NOV 15:20).
- THE OIL MACHINE d. Emma Davie, 2022 + Virtual Q&A with the director at ICA (20 NOV 18:30).
- WALTER RODNEY: ‘WHAT THEY DON’T WANT YOU TO KNOW’ d. Daniyal Harris-Vajda & Arlen Harris, 2022 + Q&A with the director, presented by Black History Walks at Phoenix Cinema (20 NOV 12:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- THREE COLOURS: WHITE 35mm d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1994 (20 NOV 15:35).
- GUMMO 35mm d. Harmony Korine, 1997 (20 NOV 18:00).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER 3D d. Ryan Coogler, 2022 (until 24 NOV).
- BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER 2D d. Ryan Coogler, 2022 (until 24 NOV).
AU CONTRAIRE: JEAN-LUC GODARD at Close-Up
- CONTEMPT d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1963 (20 NOV 20:15).
BFI’S 100 BBC TV GAMECHANGERS at BFI Southbank
- Theatre 625: TALKING TO A STRANGER PART 1: ANYTIME YOU’RE READY I’LL SPARKLE d. Christopher Morahan, 1966 (20 NOV 15:30).
DARDENNES at Picturehouse Cinemas
- TWO DAYS, ONE NIGHT aka Deux jours, une nuit d. Jean-Pierre Dardenne & Luc Dardenne, 2014 (from 20 NOV).
FRAMES OF MIND: THE FILMS OF PETER GREENAWAY at BFI Southbank
- 8 1/2 WOMEN 35mm d. Peter Greenaway, 1999 (20 NOV 12:50).
- PROSPERO’S BOOKS 35mm d. Peter Greenaway, 1991 (20 NOV 18:00).
- Re-releases: THE DRAUGHTSMAN’S CONTRACT d. Peter Greenaway, 1982 Remastered (until 24 NOV).
HOLLYWOOD ON HOLLYWOOD at The Garden Cinema
- WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? d. Robert Aldrich, 1962 (20 NOV 14:15).
IMITATIONS OF LIFE: DECONSTRUCTING ‘CAMP’ IN CLASSIC HOLLYWOOD at The Cinema Museum
- BEYOND THE FOREST 35mm+ QUEEN BEE 16mm ds. King Vidor, 1949 + Ranald MacDougall, 1955 + Intro/discussion in partnership with Women & Cocaine (20 NOV 16:00).
IN DREAMS ARE MONSTERS at BFI Southbank
- Beast: JENNIFER’s BODY 35mm d. Karyn Kusama, 2009 (20 NOV 15:15).
- Vampire: CRONOS d. Guillermo del Toro, 1993 (20 NOV 18:30).
(IN)VISIBLE CITIES at Close-Up
- VIEW FROM ABOVE + EL SEMBRADOR DE ESTRELLAS + TERRANOVA d. Hiwa K, 2017 + Lois Patiño, 2022 + Alejandro Pérez Serrano & Alejandro Alonso Estrella, 2021 (20 NOV 18:00).
- Curated by Massimo Iannetti in partnership with NFTS.
KRZYSZTOF KIESLOWSKI’S THREE COLOURS TRILOGY at The Prince Charles
- THREE COLOURS: WHITE 35mm d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1994 (20 NOV 15:35).
THROWBACK at Everyman Cinemas
- MOULIN ROUGE! d. Baz Luhrmann, 2001 (20 NOV various).
TRINTIGNANT: THE NON-CONFORMIST at Ciné Lumière
- MA NUIT CHEZ MAUD aka My Night with Maud d. Eric Rohmer, 1968 (20 NOV 14:00).
UNGENTLE SCREENING SERIES at Studio Voltaire
- THE SERVANT d. Joseph Losey, 1963 (20 NOV 14:00).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (20 NOV 18:15).
- Earls Court International Film Festival (11 to 18 NOV).
- EFG London Jazz Festival: Jazz On Screen (12 to 20 NOV).
- French Film Festival (02 NOV to 15 DEC).
- Irish Film Festival London (16 to 20 NOV).
- London Migration Film Festival (24 to 30 NOV).
- London Palestine Film Festival (11 to 24 NOV).
- London Tibet Film Festival (22 to 23 NOV).
- Made In Prague (07 to 29 NOV).
- Romanian Film Festival London (24 to 28 NOV).
- Sofia Cinema Showcase (13 to 27 NOV).
- Soho Horror Film Festival (17 to 20 NOV online).
- Spectacle for Later – Computational Cinema Festival (18 to 20 NOV).
- UK Film Festival London (23 to 26 NOV / online 23 to 27 NOV).
- UK Jewish Film Festival (10 to 20 NOV / online 21 to 27 NOV).
Also 18 to 24 NOV (various venues / dates / times):
- BARDO, FALSE CHRONICLE OF A HANDFUL OF TRUTHS aka Bardo, falsa crónica de unas cuantas verdades d. Alejandro G. Iñárritu, 2022 at: Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- CLARA SOLA d. Nathalie Álvarez, 2022 at: Curzon Cinemas / ICA.
- PINK FLAMINGOS d. John Waters, 1972 at: Rio Cinema.
- RISE aka En Corps d. Cédric Klapisch, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière.
- SANSÓN AND ME d. Rodrigo Reyes, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- SR. d. Chris Smith, 2022 at: Curzon Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Previews: BONES AND ALL d. Luca Guadagnino, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinemas.
- Previews: GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY d. Rian Johnson, 2022 at: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Olympic Studios / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema.
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.