SUNDAY 24 OCTOBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
A Masterclass with Dirk Schaefer presented by Sonic Cinema at IKLECTIK (24 OCT 11:00 – 14:00) followed by The Films of Peter Tscherkassky 35mm + Intro by Stanley Schtinter presented by Sonic Cinema at Cafe Oto (24 OCT 19:30).
- “Celebrating the release of Dirk Schaefer: Peter Tscherkassky, All the Soundtracks (2005–2021) by purge.xxx, Sonic Cinema presents Peter Tscherkassky and Dirk Schaefer’s four collaborations to date: TRAIN AGAIN (2021); THE EXQUISITE CORPUS (2015); COMING ATTRACTIONS (2010); INSTRUCTIONS FOR A LIGHT AND SOUND MACHINE (2005); as well as Tscherkassky’s classic of avant-garde cinema, OUTER SPACE (1999). Dirk Schaefer will give a unique masterclass on his practice and methodologies at IKLECTIK prior to the screening at Cafe Oto.”
- 2040 d. Damon Gameau, 2019 at Bertha DocHouse (24 OCT 14:00).
- A Masterclass with Dirk Schaefer presented by Sonic Cinema at IKLECTIK (24 OCT 11:00 – 14:00) followed by The Films of Peter Tscherkassky 35mm + Intro by Stanley Schtinter presented by Sonic Cinema at Cafe Oto (24 OCT 19:30).
- A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET d. Wes Craven, 1984 at The Prince Charles (24 OCT 20:30).
- BLADE 4k Restoration Premiere d. Stephen Norrington, 1998 + Intro by We Are Parable at Genesis Cinema (24 OCT 20:00).
- CHINATOWN 4k d. Roman Polanski, 1974 at BFI (24 OCT 11:50).
- The Edgar Wright Survival Guide screening & quiz night at Genesis Cinema bar paragon (24 OCT 18:00 – FREE!).
- EDUCATION d. Steve McQueen, 2020 at BFI (24 OCT 18:10).
- EPISODE 3 – ‘ENJOY POVERTY’d. Renzo Martens, 2009 at ICA (24 OCT 12:30).
- EYES WITHOUT A FACE 35mm aka Les Yeux sans visage d. Georges Franju, 1960 at The Prince Charles (24 OCT 16:00).
- HAPPY-GO-LUCKY 35mm d. Mike Leigh, 2008 + Q&A with the director, Alexis Zegerman and Kate O’Flynn at BFI (24 OCT 14:50).
- HEAT 4k d. Michael Mann, 1995 at BFI (24 OCT 14:30).
- HUMANITY & PAPER BALLOONS 35mm aka Ninjô kami fûsen d. Sadao Yamanaka, 1937 at BFI (24 OCT 15:00).
- LÉON MORIN, PRÊTRE d. Jean-Pierre Melville, 1961 at Ciné Lumière (24 OCT 17:00).
- LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS [Director’s Cut] d. Frank Oz, 1986 at The Prince Charles (24 OCT 13:00).
- THE LOST BOYS 35mm d. Joel Schumacher, 1987 at The Prince Charles (24 OCT 18:05).
- THE LOST RECORD d. Alexandra Cabral & Ian Svenonius, 2021 + Intro by the directors presented by Deeper Into Movies at MOTH Club (24 OCT 19:30).
- MEANTIME d. Mike Leigh, 1983 + Q&A with the director, Marion Bailey & Phil Daniels at BFI (24 OCT 18:00).
- MISERY 16mm d. Rob Reiner, 1990 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (24 OCT 19:30).
- MOONLIGHT d. Barry Jenkins, 2016 + Intro presented by Black Femme Film at Picturehouse Finsbury Park (24 OCT 17:30).
- NOSFERATU d. F.W. Murnau, 1922 + Wurlitzer accompaniment by Donald MacKenzie at The Musical Museum (24 OCT 15:00 – A Bloody Mary or non-alcoholic alternative included in the ticket).
- OUR NEIGHBOUR, MISS YAE 35mm aka Tonari no Yae-chan d. Yasujirô Shimazu, 1934 at BFI (24 OCT 12:40).
- THE OUTSIDERS (4K RESTORATION) d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1983 + Recorded intro by the director at Riverside Studios (24 OCT 14:00).
- PIERROT LE FOU d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1965 at Close-Up (24 OCT 20:15).
- RATTLESNAKES d. Julius Amedume, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (24 OCT 17:00).
- SEVEN DAYS… SEVEN NIGHTS d. Peter Brook, 1960 at Close-Up (24 OCT 18:15).
- Screen Epiphany: Adjoa Andoh introduces MANDABI d. Ousmane Sembène, 1968 at BFI Southbank (24 OCT 18:30).
- THE SERVANT d. Joseph Losey, 1963 at Electric Cinemas Portobello (24 OCT 13:30).
- SHIP OF FOOLS d. Stanley Kramer, 1965 at Ciné Lumière (24 OCT 14:00).
- THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS d. Jonathan Demme, 1991 at The Exhibit (24 OCT 20:00).
- WHITE CUBE d. Renzo Martens, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse (24 OCT 16:00).
- Brazil Indigenous Film Festival (22 to 24 OCT).
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (28 OCT to 14 NOV).
- London East Asia Film Festival (21 to 31 OCT).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 OCT to 20 NOV).
- Raindance Film Festival (27 OCT to 06 NOV).
- Sci-Fi-London 21 (19 to 24 OCT).
- Short Com Film Festival (28 OCT 20:30).
DUNE d. Denis Villeneuve, 2021.
- Various venues, inc: Barbican / BFI IMAX / The Castle / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Kino Digital / The Lexi / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Regent Street Cinema / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
SCREAM 35mm d. Wes Craven, 1996.
- Also (22 to 28 OCT various dates/times): PLAYLIST d. Nine Antico, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas // SMOG TOWN d. Meng Han, 2019 at: Bertha DocHouse // WHITE CUBE d. Renzo Martens, 2020 at: ICA.
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
- Tony Paley presents his “greatest films of all time” at Close-Up Film Centre (from 03 FEB 2023).
- Irish Film London presents the St Brigid’s Day Film Festival at Rio Cinema, Riverside Studios & online (03 to 05 FEB 2023).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.