SUNDAY 27 FEBRUARY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Queer Horror Nights: FRANKENSTEINd. James Whale, 1931 + Intro & Bar Social co-hosted by Token Homo & Last Frame Club at The Castle Cinema (27 FEB 17:00).
“Queer Horror Nights is a new film club devoted to screening queer, cult and classic horror cinema in London. We start in LGBT History Month with “The Daddy of all monster movies”, James Whale’s 1931 film, FRANKENSTEIN. One of the most subversive horror films of all time, Whale’s macabre masterpiece was brutally censored for almost 50 years and only partially restored in 1985, reviving its revolutionary message. We are proud to present this powerful “allegory of social exclusion” and “the first great American horror film” as the first of our Queer Horror Nights and the launch of our Q-RATED! season.”
- THE BLACK COP d. Cherish Oteka, 2021 + Q&A with the director presented by We Are Parable & Aya Films at Rich Mix (27 FEB 17:30).
- BURDEN OF DREAMS 16mm d. Les Blank, 1982 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (27 FEB 13:30).
- CODA d. Siân Heder, 2021 at Barbican (27 FEB 17:50).
- The Cyclist Film Show archive film programme at Phoenix Cinema (27 FEB 13:00).
- FRANKENSTEIN d. James Whale, 1931 presented by Queer Horror Nights at The Castle Cinema (27 FEB 17:00).
- F@CK THIS JOB d. Vera Krichevskaya, 2022 + Q&A with the director & Natalia Sindeeva (Founder of Dozhd TV) at Picturehouse Ritzy + Finsbury Park (27 FEB 15:00 + 18:00).
- THE GREAT DICTATOR d. Charles Chaplin, 1940 at Ciné Lumière (27 FEB 19:50).
- HAPPINESS d. Todd Solondz, 1998 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (27 FEB 19:30).
- KONIEC ŚWIATA CZYLI KOGEL MOGEL 4 d. Anna Wieczur-Bluszcz, 2022 at Watermans (27 FEB 16:00).
- PANDORA & THE FLYING DUTCHMAN d. Albert Lewin, 1951 at Riverside Studios (27 FEB 14:00).
- PETROV’S FLU d. Kirill Serebrennikov, 2021 + Recorded Q&A with the director at Genesis Cinema (27 FEB 14:00).
- SOMEWHERE IN HACKNEY archive film programme + Q&A with Selina Robertson & guests presented by Club Des Femmes and Hackney Archives at The Rio Cinema (27 FEB 15:30).
- SOUTH d. Frank Hurley, 1919 at Olympic Studios (27 FEB 11:00).
- TOPSY-TURVY d. Mike Leigh, 1999 + Intro by musical theatre historian. Jim Stebbings presented by Highgate Film Society at Highgate Literary & Scientific Institution (27 FEB 14:00).
- Never On A Sunday: VIDA EN SOMBRAS d. Llorenç Llobet Gràcia, 1948 + Intro by Ehsan Khoshbakht at Close-Up (27 FEB 20:15).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE POWER OF THE DOG 35mm d. Jane Campion, 2021 (27 FEB 14:45); HEAT 35mm d. Michael Mann, 1995 (27 FEB 19:45).
1982 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE DARK CRYSTAL 4K d. Jim Henson & Frank Oz, 1982 (27 FEB 15:00).
THE ABC OF ASTA NIELSEN at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): TOWARDS THE LIGHT 35mm aka Mod Lyset + ASTA NIELSEN d. Holger-Madsen, 1919 + d. Asta Nielsen, 1968 + Live piano accompaniment by Cyrus Gabrysch (27 FEB 15:50).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: LGBT HISTORY MONTH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE HANDMAIDEN aka Ah-ga-ssi d. Park Chan-wook, 2016 (27 FEB 17:50).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH d. Joel Coen, 2021 (27 FEB 12:15); BELFAST d. Kenneth Branagh, 2021 (27 FEB 17:40).
DENIS VILLENEUVE: IN REVERSE at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): DUNE d. Denis Villeneuve, 2021 (27 FEB 20:00).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE TURIN HORSE d. Béla Tarr, 2011 (27 FEB 17:30).
FASHION & CINEMA: THE ALLURE OF THE REBEL at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BULLITT d. Peter Yates, 1968 + Intro by Fashion & Cinema Director Joana Granero (27 FEB 17:00).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT: FOR THE LOVE OF FILMS at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): The Hitchcock Truffaut: THE BRIDE WORE BLACK aka La Mariée était en noir d. François Truffaut, 1968 (27 FEB 12:10); FINALLY SUNDAY! aka Vivement dimanche! d. François Truffaut, 1983 (27 FEB 15:00). The Literary Truffaut: FAHRENHEIT 451 d. François Truffaut, 1966 (27 FEB 18:40).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT REVISITED at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE LAST METRO aka Le dernier métro d. François Truffaut, 1980 (27 FEB 14:00); JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 (27 FEB 17:35).
INGMAR BERGMAN SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): WILD STRAWBERRIES d. Ingmar Bergman, 1957 (27 FEB 17:25).
- Includes (check venue for listings): THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH d. Joel Coen, 2021 (27 FEB 12:15); THE POWER OF THE DOG 35mm d. Jane Campion, 2021 (27 FEB 14:45); BELFAST d. Kenneth Branagh, 2021 (27 FEB 17:40); DUNE d. Denis Villeneuve, 2021 (27 FEB 20:00).
REWARDING DOCS at Bertha DocHouse
- Includes (check venue for full listings): ASCENSION d. Jessica Kingdon, 2020 (until 01 MAR various); COW d. Andrea Arnold, 2021 (27 FEB 18:30).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES d. Isao Takahata, 1988 (from 26 FEB); NAUSICAÄ OF THE VALLEY OF THE WIND d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1984 (from 26 FEB).
STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): PRINCESS MONONOKE d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1997 (27 FEB 12:00).
- Cinema Made in Italy (03 to 07 MAR).
- Glasgow Film Festival (02 to 13 MAR).
- Kendal Mountain Film Festival Tour (03 MAR).
- Also 25 FEB to 03 MAR (various dates/times): A STARRY SKY ABOVE THE ROMAN GHETTO d. Giulio Base, 2020 at: JW3 (from 02 MAR) // STUDIO 666 d. BJ McDonnell, 2022 at: Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas // VIVOS d. Ai Weiwei, 2019 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Oliver Dickens presents two films by Kira Muratova to raise funds for Ukraine at Rio Cinema & Ciné Lumière (07 & 14 JUN 2022).
- Lost Vampires presents BILLY THE KID AND THE GREEN BAIZE VAMPIRE 35mm + Q&A with Phil Daniels at The Prince Charles (27 JUN 2022).
- Science Fiction Theatre returns with three sci-fi classics this summer at The Castle Cinema (10 JUN to 12 AUG 2022).
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE FLY at The Castle Cinema (24 JUN 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.