SUNDAY 27 MARCH 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Never On A Sunday: THE RUNNER d. Amir Naderi, 1984 UK premiere of the restored version + Intro by Ehsan Khoshbakht at Close-Up (27 MAR 20:15):
“Amir Naderi’s autobiographical masterpiece about Amiro, an orphaned teenager trying to better his life by learning to read, was the first post-revolutionary Iranian film to be seen internationally and mark the beginning of a steady wave of great films to emerge from that country in the 80s and 90s. Breathtakingly edited by Iranian New Wave pioneer, director and writer Bahram Beyzaie, the film remains both open – as its Persian Gulf landscapes – and abstract, as its protagonist’s struggle to understand and conquer a world full of hostility and indifference.” – Ehsan Khoshbakht
- THE GODFATHER PART II d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1974 at Riverside Studios (27 MAR 14:40).
- THE GODFATHER PART II d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1974 at Genesis Cinema (27 MAR 19:00 / 30 MAR 19:30 / 31 MAR 19:30).
- Jackass TV Marathon presented by Deeper Into Movies at Signature Brew Blackhorse Road (27 MAR 13:00 – FREE!).
- LA KERMESSE HÉROIQUE aka Carnival in Flanders d. Jacques Feyder, 1935 + Intro by Jon Davies presented by French Sundae at The Cinema Museum (27 MAR 14:30).
- LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN 16mm d. Max Ophüls, 1949 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (27 MAR 14:00).
- Mothers’ Day: DIRTY DANCING d. Emilio, 1987 at Olympic Studios (27 MAR 16:10).
- Mothers’ Day: LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig, 2019 at Everyman Cinemas (27 MAR various).
- Mothers’ Day: MAMMA MIA! d. Phyllida Lloyd, 2008 at Olympic Studios (27 MAR 13:30).
- NOSFERATU: 100TH Anniversary d. F. W. Murnau, 1922 at Curzon Bloomsbury (27 MAR 15:00).
- Ukraine Fundraiser: OLGA d. Elie Grappe, 2021 at ArtHouse Crouch End (27 MAR 18:00).
- PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN d. Emarald Fennell, 2020 at Whirled Cinema (27 MAR 17:00).
- Never On A Sunday: THE RUNNER d. Amir Naderi, 1984 UK premiere of the restored version + Intro by Ehsan Khoshbakht at Close-Up (27 MAR 20:15).
- Shortcuts Short Film Showcase presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (27 MAR 19:30).
- SOUTH: SIR ERNEST SHACKLETON’S GLORIOUS EPIC OF THE ANTARCTIC d. Frank Hurley, 1919 at Picturehouse Cinemas (25 to 31 MAR various).
- SOUTH: SIR ERNEST SHACKLETON’S GLORIOUS EPIC OF THE ANTARCTIC d. Frank Hurley, 1919 at Phoenix Cinema (27 MAR 15:00).
- SOUTH: SIR ERNEST SHACKLETON’S GLORIOUS EPIC OF THE ANTARCTIC d. Frank Hurley, 1919 at Riverside Studios (27 MAR 14:00 / 30 MAR 12:30).
- THE TINDERBOX d. Gillian Mosely, 2020 + Q&A with the director at JW3 (27 MAR 15:50);
- TRAINING DAY d. Antoine Fuqua, 2001 raising funds for JE Delve in tribute to Jamal Edwards MBE at ActOne Cinema (27 MAR 16:15).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 04 APR various); MOTHER aka Madeo 35mm d. Bong Joon-ho, 2009 (27 MAR 12:05); A CLOCKWORK ORANGE 35mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 (27 MAR 17:30).
1982 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BLADE RUNNER: THE FINAL CUT d. Ridley Scott, 1982 (27 MAR 17:05 4K).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): ALINE, THE VOICE OF LOVE d. Valérie Lemercier, 2020 (27 MAR 19:10); PARIS 13TH DISTRICT aka Les Olympiades d. Jacques Audiard, 2021 (until 31 MAR various).
CELEBRATING MARLON BRANDO at The Garden Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE GODFATHER d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1972 (27 MAR 17:15); THE WILD ONEd. László Benedek, 1953 (27 MAR 21:00).
DENIS VILLENEUVE: IN REVERSE at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BLADE RUNNER 2049 4K d. Denis Villeneuve, 2017 (27 MAR 19:45).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT REVISITED at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE MAN WHO LOVED WOMEN aka L’Homme qui aimait les femmes d. François Truffaut, 1977 (27 MAR 14:00).
INGMAR BERGMAN SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): PERSONA d. Ingmar Bergman, 1966 (27 MAR 15:00).
MARA MATTUSCHKA: DIFFERENT FACES OF AN ANTI-DIVA at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for full listings): DIFFERENT FACES OF AN ANTI-DIVA d. Elisabeth M. Klocker, 2013 (27 MAR 18:30).
ONE AND DONE at Genesis Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): ROPE d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1948 (27 MAR 16:35).
OSCAR BEST PICTURE WINNERS at Everyman Belsize Park
- Includes (check venue for listings): IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT d. Norman Jewison, 1967 (27 MAR 14:00).
OSCAR NOMINEES at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): PARALLEL MOTHERS d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2021 (25 to 31 MAR); LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 04 APR various).
OSCAR® WEEK at Barbican
- Includes (check venue for full listings): ENCANTO d. Jared Bush & Byron Howard, 2021 (27 MAR 11:15); WEST SIDE STORY d. Steven Spielberg, 2021 (27 MAR 16:00); DRIVE MY CAR d. Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021 (27 MAR 19:10).
- Includes (check venue for full listings): FAD’JAL d. Safi Faye, 1979 (27 MAR 15:00).
RADICAL FILMS / RADICAL FORMS at The Yellow
- Includes (check venue for listings): Film Collectives Panel(27 MAR 11:00 – FREE!); A FEELING GREATER THAN LOVE d. Mary Jirmanus Saba, 2017 (27 MAR 12:30 – FREE!); Union & Direct Action Workshop (27 MAR 14:45 – FREE!); THE HOUR OF LIBERATION HAS ARRIVED d. Heiny Srour, 1974 (27 MAR 17:45 – FREE!); Panel – The Past and Future of Militant Cinema (27 MAR 19:00 – FREE!).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): SPIRITED AWAY d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2001 (from 26 MAR).
- The Banff Mountain Film Festival (14 to 25 MAR).
- BFI Flare (16 to 27 MAR).
- Essay Film Festival (19 MAR to 23 APR).
- Hong Kong Film Festival (19 to 27 MAR).
- Human Rights Watch Film Festival (17 to 25 MAR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 03 APR).
Ukraine Fundraiser: CHERNOBYL: THE LOST TAPES d. James Jones, 2022:
- Various venues, inc: Bertha DocHouse
THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD aka Verdens verste menneske d. Joachim Trier, 2021:
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / Genesis Cinema / ICA / The Lexi Cinema /Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix
- Also 25 to 31 MAR (various dates/times): CHOPPER: 20th Anniversary d. Andrew Dominik, 2000 at: Genesis Cinemas / Prince Charles Cinema // ESCAPE FROM MOGADISHU d. Seung-wan Ryu, 2021: Curzon Cinemas // SIN LA HABANA d. Kaveh Nabatian, 2021 at: JW3 // VALLEY OF SOULS aka Tantas almas d. Nicolás Rincón Gille, 2019 at: ICA // XUETA ISLAND d. Ofer Laszewicki, Dani Rotstein & Felipe Wolokita, 2021 at: JW3 (from 29 MAR).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
- Tony Paley presents his “greatest films of all time” at Close-Up Film Centre (from 03 FEB 2023).
- Irish Film London presents the St Brigid’s Day Film Festival at Rio Cinema, Riverside Studios & online (03 to 05 FEB 2023).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.