SUNDAY 27 NOVEMBER 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Never On Sunday: DANTE IS NOT ONLY SEVERE d. Jacinto Esteva & Joaquim Jordà, 1967 + Intro by Ehsan Khoshbakht at Close-Up (27 NOV 20:15).
“The ‘manifesto’ movie of the ‘Barcelona School’ [is a] crazily freewheeling, pre-post-modern affair in which a wife tells her husband various jokes, stories and non-sequiturs, most of which are then ‘illustrated’ via dramatisations, stills and pre-pop-video sequences (owing as much to Godard as Buñuel.) The husband is played by none other than Pasolini’s Christ, Enrique Irazoqui, the picture looks terrific, and the anything-goes flow of ideas and images is more often arresting than not – quite remarkable that such a loosey-goosey affair should have been made under Franco’s dictatorship (but typical of Barcelona’s anti-establishment traditions). By far the best sequence is the extended pre-credits opening, in which various trendy young folk (everyone in the film is beautiful or the next best thing) sit around listening to jukebox music in an open air cafe: looks like it was shot and cut yesterday. Remainder never quite matches the insouciant, rebellious charm of this prologue, but at 78 minutes Dante certainly doesn’t outstay its welcome.” – Neil Young
- CRIMES OF THE FUTURE d. David Cronenberg, 2022 presented by Deeper Into Movies at MOTH Club (27 NOV 19:30).
- Never On Sunday: DANTE IS NOT ONLY SEVERE d. Jacinto Esteva & Joaquim Jordà, 1967 + Intro by Ehsan Khoshbakht at Close-Up (27 NOV 20:15).
- THE DRAUGHTSMAN’S CONTRACT d. Peter Greenaway, 1982 at Phoenix Cinema (27 NOV 13:30).
- DÙTHCHAS aka Home d. Andy Mackinnon + Q&A with the director at The Lexi Cinema (27 NOV 13:00).
- Culture Shock: EDWARD SCISSORHANDS d. Tim Burton, 1990 at Picturehouse Greenwich (27 NOV 16:30).
- FRANK d. Lenny Abrahamson, 2014 + Q&A with Jon Ronson, presented by The 90 Minutes or Less Film Festival podcast at Picturehouse Hackney (27 NOV 16:00).
- LOUIS ARMSTRONG’S BLACK & BLUES d. Sacha Jenkins, 2022 + Intro/discussion with Charmaine Simpson, presented by Black History Studies at The Lexi Cinema (27 NOV 16:00).
- SALAAM BOMBAY! d. Mira Nair, 1988 + 2-Course lunch at India Club Lounge-Bar (27 NOV 12:00).
- Theatrum Mundi presents: A Multi-storied City #3 short film programme at The Garden Cinema (27 NOV 16:00).
- WEST 11 d. Michael Winner, 1963 + Intro/panel at Electric Cinemas Portobello (27 NOV 14:00).
- WHERE THE DEVIL CAN’T GO HIMSELF, HE SENDS A WOMAN d. Heatcliff Janusz Iwanowski, 2021 + Intro by Michael Brooke at Watermans (27 NOV 13:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- MISERY 35mm d. Rob Reiner, 1990 (27 NOV 20:30).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER 3D d. Ryan Coogler, 2022 (until 01 DEC).
- BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER 2D d. Ryan Coogler, 2022 (until 01 DEC).
ANNIVERSARY SEASON at Everyman Belsize Park
- MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET d. George Seaton, 1947 (27 NOV 14:00).
BFI’S 100 BBC TV GAMECHANGERS at BFI Southbank
- The Wednesday Play: IN TWO MINDS + WHERE THE BUFFALO ROAM d. Ken Loach, 1967 + Gareth Davies, 1966 (27 NOV 14:30).
- GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME + THE REAL MCCOY (2 Episodes) + Panel with cast members Sanjeev Bhaskar & Meera Syal, & producer Anil Gupta, chaired by writer & broadcaster Samira Ahmed (27 NOV 18:20).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up
- CRIES & WHISPERS d. Ingmar Bergman, 1973 (27 NOV 18:30).
THE FILMS OF DAVID LYNCH at The Prince Charles
- LOST HIGHWAY 4K d. David Lynch, 1997 (27 NOV 10:20).
FRAMES OF MIND: THE FILMS OF PETER GREENAWAY at BFI Southbank
- A ZED & TWO NOUGHTS d. Peter Greenaway, 1985 (27 NOV 12:15).
- DROWNING BY NUMBERS 4K d. Peter Greenaway, 1988 (27 NOV 18:00).
- Re-releases: THE DRAUGHTSMAN’S CONTRACT d. Peter Greenaway, 1982 Remastered (27 NOV 12:00).
IN DREAMS ARE MONSTERS at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings):
- Zombie: PONTYPOOL d. Bruce McDonald, 2008 (27 NOV 12:20).
- Beast: FRANKENSTEIN d. James Whale, 1931 (27 NOV 13:00); POSSESSION 4K Restoration d. Andrzej Zuławski, 1981 (27 NOV 15:30); GOOD MANNERS aka As Boas Maneiras d. Juliana Rojas & Marco Dutra, 2017 (27 NOV 18:10).
MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY – EXTENDED EDITIONS 4K (27 NOV 10:00).
- TODOS MIENTEN + ROSALINDA d. Matías Piñeiro, 2009 + 2010 (27 NOV 16:30).
- Curated by Daniel Turner in partnership with NFTS.
TRINTIGNANT: THE NON-CONFORMIST at Ciné Lumière
- A MAN AND A WOMAN aka Un homme et une femme d. Claude Lelouch, 1966 (27 NOV 14:00).
- THE BEST YEARS OF A LIFE aka Les Plus Belles années d’une vie d. Claude Lelouch, 2019 (27 NOV 16:10).
UNGENTLE SCREENING SERIES at Studio Voltaire
- ROBINSON IN SPACE d. Patrick Kieller, 1997 (27 NOV 14:00).
WOMEN’S RIGHTS NOW at Ciné Lumière
- SIMONE VEIL, A WOMAN OF THE CENTURY aka Simone, le voyage du siècle d. Olivier Dahan, 2022 (27 NOV 18:00).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (27 NOV 15:30).
- British Urban Film Festival (26 NOV to 03 DEC).
- French Film Festival (02 NOV to 15 DEC).
- London International Animation Festival (25 NOV to 04 DEC).
- London Migration Film Festival (24 to 30 NOV).
- London Surf Film Festival (25 NOV to 02 DEC).
- Made In Prague (07 to 29 NOV).
- Romanian Film Festival London (24 to 28 NOV).
- Sofia Cinema Showcase (13 to 27 NOV).
- UK Film Festival London (23 to 26 NOV / online 23 to 27 NOV).
- UK Jewish Film Festival (10 to 20 NOV / online 21 to 27 NOV).
Also 25 NOV to 01 DEC (various venues / dates / times):
- BLUE ISLAND d. Chan Tze Woon, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- CASQUE D’OR aka Golden Helmet 4K Restoration d. Jacques Becker, 1952 at: Ciné Lumière / The Garden Cinema / ICA / Riverside Studios.
- GOODBYE, DON GLEES! aka Gubbai, Don Gurîzu! d. Atsuko Ishizuka, 2021 at: Picturehouse Cinemas.
- GUILLERMO DEL TORO’S PINOCCHIO d. Guillermo Del Toro & Mark Gustafson, 2022 at: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / Rio Cinema.
- LAST FLIGHT HOME d. Ondi Timoner, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / Genesis Cinema.
- NANNY d. Nikyatu Jusu, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière.
- ROALD DAHL’S MATILDA THE MUSICAL d. Matthew Warchus, 2022 at: Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema/ / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- UTAMA d. Alejandro Loayza Grisi, 2022 at: The Garden Cinema / ICA / Watermans.
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.