SUNDAY: What’s on in London today [29/01/23]
SUNDAY 29 JANUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
THE UNKNOWN d. Tod Browning, 1927 + Live musical accompaniment by Stephen Horne & Martin Pyne, presented by LIMF at Barbican (29 JAN 15:00).
“The famously versatile Lon Chaney (“The Man of a Thousand Faces”) is Alonzo the Armless Wonder, who uses his feet to perform a circus knife-throwing act. But Alonzo keeps dark secrets: he is not the amputee he pretends to be, and is in fact a killer on the run from the police. With enormous cunning, he keeps his true identity, and his arms, hidden from the world. To act on his infatuation with the circus’ beautiful bare-back rider Nanon (Joan Crawford) would be to give himself away: so, what to do?”
“THE UNKNOWN builds to a Grand Guignol finale that is truly breath-taking in its intensity.” (LIMF)
- ANTONIA’S LINE d. Marleen Gorris, 1995 presented by Babel Film club at Babel Art House (29 JAN 19:00).
- BRINGING UP BABY 16mm d. Howard Hawks, 1938 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (29 JAN 14:15).
- CESÀRIA ÉVORA d. Ana Sofia Fonseca, 2022 at Bertha DocHouse (29 JAN 16:00).
- DISTANT JOURNEY d. Alfred Radok, 1948 in collaboration with the Czech Centre London to mark the International Holocaust Remembrance Day at Picturehouse Cinemas (29 JAN various).
- IF I HAD FOUR CAMELS d. Chris Marker, 1966 + Intro by Ehsan Khoshbakht, presented by Never On Sunday at Close-Up (29 JAN 20:15).
- THE LAST TREE d. Shola Amoo, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (29 JAN 17:00).
- THE MARK OF ZORRO d. Fred Niblo, 1920 + Live accompaniment by Donald MacKenzie on Wurlitzer at The Musical Museum (29 JAN 14:30).
- OLIMPIA’S WAY d. Corrado Ceron, 2023 + Q&A with the director, presented by CinemaItaliaUK at Riverside Studios (29 JAN 17:30).
- REDS d. Warren Beatty, 1981 at Riverside Studios (29 JAN 13:45 / 30 JAN 13:30).
- THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION d. Frank Darabont, 1994 presented by Film Tottenham at Blighty Tottenham N15 (29 JAN 18:00).
- THE UNKNOWN d. Tod Browning, 1927 + Live musical accompaniment by Stephen Horne & Martin Pyne, presented by LIMF at Barbican (29 JAN 15:00).
- The Tufnell Park Film Club Winter Film Quiz! at The Lord Palmerston (29 JAN 19:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- BEAU TRAVAIL 35mm d. Claire Denis, 1999 (29 JAN 18:15).
- TRAINSPOTTING 35mm d. Danny Boyle, 1996 (29 JAN 20:30).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 02 FEB).
- BABYLON d. Damien Chazelle, 2023 (29 JAN 19:45).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Talks & Events: THE BAD SLEEP WELL 35mm aka Warui Yatsu hoho Yoku Nemuru d. Akira Kurosawa, 1960 + Intro by season curator Ian Haydn Smith (29 JAN 14:30); HIGH & LOW 35mm aka Tengoku to Jigoku d. Akira Kurosawa, 1963 + Intro by season curator Ian Haydn Smith (29 JAN 18:00).
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (until 02 FEB).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles (Not listed elsewhere!)
- SUPERMAN d. Richard Donner, 1978 (29 JAN 15:05).
AU CONTRAIRE: JEAN-LUC GODARD at Close-Up
- LE PETIT SOLDAT d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1963 (29 JAN 16:00).
BAR TRASH: TRASH OR TREASURE? at Rule Zero & Genesis Cinema
- LIFEFORCE d. Tobe Hooper, 1985 + Intro, intermission, brunch & prize giveaways at Rule Zero’s Sub Zero (29 JAN 11:00+)
- Presented by Token Homo.
CELEBRATING JACK NICHOLSON at The Garden Cinema
- THE SHINING d. Stanley Kubrick, 1980 (29 JAN 16:45).
CHAZELLE SEASON at Genesis Cinema
- BABYLON d. Damien Chazelle, 2023 (until 02 FEB).
DISNEY MATINEES at The Prince Charles
- SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS d. William Cottrell, David Hand & Wilfred Jackson, 1937 (29 JAN 13:00).
MARK JENKIN’S THE CINEMATIC DNA OF ENYS MEN at BFI Southbank
- Talks & Events: Film Sounds: A conversation between Mark Jenkin and Peter Strickland (29 JAN 13:00); BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO + WIND ds. Peter Strickland, 2012 + Bill Scott, 1999 + Intro by Mark Jenkin & Peter Strickland (29 JAN 15:30).
- Releases: ENYS MEN d. Mark Jenkins, 2022 (until 02 FEB).
SCI-FI SELECTIONS at The Prince Charles
- EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE d. The Daniels, 2022 (29 JAN 12:30 – 4K).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 75= IMITATION OF LIFE d. Douglas Sirk, 1959 (29 JAN 12:30).
- 95= THE GENERAL d. Buster Keaton & Clyde Bruckman, 1926 (29 JAN 15:10).
- 67= ANDREI RUBLEV d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1966 (29 JAN 17:20).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- BEAU TRAVAIL 35mm d. Claire Denis, 1999 (29 JAN 18:15).
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (29 JAN 18:25).
THROWBACK SEASON at Everyman Cinemas
- BLADE RUNNER: FINAL CUT d. Ridley Scott, 1982 (29 JAN various).
TRINTIGNANT: THE NON-CONFORMIST at Ciné Lumière
- THREE COLOURS: RED aka Trois couleurs: Rouge d. Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1994 (29 JAN 14:00).
WOMEN SHAPING THE WORLD at Ciné Lumière
- SIMONE VEIL, A WOMAN OF THE CENTURY aka Simone, le voyage du siècle d. Olivier Dahan, 2022 (29 JAN 16:10).
YASUJIRŌ OZU: NORIKO TRILOGY at Close-Up Film Centre
- TOKYO STORY d. Yasujiro Ozu, 1953 (29 JAN 17:45).
- London Short Film Festival (20 to 29 JAN).
ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED dir Laura Poitras, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / The Castle Cinema / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / Genesis Cinema / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema
THE FABELMANS dir Steven Spielberg, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / JW3 / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Riverside Studios
Also 27 JAN to 02 FEB (various dates/times):
- JANUARY d. Andrey Paounov, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- SKINAMARINK d. Kyle Edward Ball, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- Pushkin House presents WITNESSING HISTORY: FILMS BY SERGEI LOZNITSA at venues across London (02 to 10 JUN 2023)
- Exploding Cinema presents a night of short films at The Cinema Museum (10 JUN 2023).
- Saraband presents Queer Reflections on Horror + JENNIFER’S BODY at Rio Cinema (08 JUN 2023).
- Tibet Film Festival presents BALLOON in honour of Pema Tseden at Genesis Cinema (19 JUN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.