SUNDAY 31 JULY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE AFTERLIGHT 35mm d. Charlie Shackleton, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Genesis Cinema (31 JUL 17:30).
“Fragments of hundreds of films from around the world bring together an ensemble cast of actors with one thing in common: each is no longer alive. Together, they contend with a fragile existence lived solely through these traces of their work.
THE AFTERLIGHT itself exists as a single 35mm film print. Further eroding every time it screens, the film is a living document of its life in circulation. Eventually it will disappear entirely.“
- THE AFTERLIGHT 35mm d. Charlie Shackleton, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Genesis Cinema (31 JUL 17:30).
- THE AMERICAN FRIEND at ArtHouse Crouch End (31 JUL 17:45).
- THE HISTORY OF CIVIL WAR d. Dziga Vertov, 1921 + Q&A with film historian Nikolai Izvolov (via Zoom) hosted by filmmaker & critic Alex Barrett at Bertha DocHouse (31 JUL 15:30).
- HUD 16mm d. Martin Ritt, 1963 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (31 JUL 14:00).
- THE NORTHMAN d. Robert Eggers, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (31 JUL 17:00).
- PASSION d. Maja Borg, 2021 + Short: ISHTAR d. Mia Georgis, 2021 presented by Birds’ Eye View #Queerious at Rio Cinema (31 JUL 15:45).
- SMALL TIME OBSESSION d. Piotr Szkopiak, 2000 + Q&A with the director at ActOne Cinema (31 JUL 15:30).
- TRI d. Aleksandar Petrović, 1965 + Intro by Ehsan Khoshbakht, presented by Never On Sunday at Close-Up (31 JUL 20:15).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- ALIEN [Director’s Cut] d. Ridley Scott, 1979 (31 JUL 15:20).
ANNIVERSARY SEASON at Everyman Belsize Park
- CABARET d. Bob Fosse, (31 JUL 14:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: POWER! at BFI Southbank
- PANDORA’S BOX aka Die Büchse der Pandora d. GW Pabst, 1928 + Live piano accompaniment (31 JUL 15:20).
CELEBRATING FILM NOIR at The Garden Cinema
- PORT OF SHADOWS d. Marcel Carné, 1938 (31 JUL 17:00).
CELEBRATING MARLENE DIETRICH at The Garden Cinema
- THE BLUE ANGEL d. Josef Von Sternberg, 1930 (31 JUL 14:50).
- DISHONORED d. Josef von Sternberg, 1931 (31 JUL 19:00).
CINEMA RESTORED at Barbican
- MAANGAMIZI: THE ANCIENT ONE d. Ron Mulvihill & Martin Mhando, 2001 (31 JUL 14:30).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up
- BARRY LYNDON d. Stanley Kubrick, 1975 (31 JUL 16:45).
EYE RITUALS at ICA
- CELINE AND JULIE GO BOATING 35mm d. Jacques Rivette, 1976 presented by Zodiac Film Club x London Short Film Festival (31 JULY 18:15).
GLENDA JACKSON at BFI Southbank
- THE RAINBOW d. Ken Russell, 1989 (31 JUL 13:00).
- ELIZABETH R Episodes 4-6 d. various, 1971 (31 JUL 14:30).
IN THE BLACK FANTASTIC at BFI Southbank
- ATLANTICS aka Atlantique d. Mati Diop, 2019 (31 JUL 15:40).
MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles
- SCREAM MARATHON 5 films, 1 ticket! (31 JUL 12:15 – Some 35mm).
SATYAJIT RAY: THE LANGUAGE OF FILM at BFI Southbank
- The big city: THE STRANGER 35mm aka Agantuk d. Satyajit Ray, 1991 (31 JUL 18:20).
- Docmentaries: Documentaries Programme 1 (31 JUL 12:00 – Some 35mm).
- Re-release: THE BIG CITY aka Mahanagar d. Satyajit Ray, 1963 (from 22 JUL to 04 AUG).
WIM WENDERS at Curzon Cinemas
- Check venue for details.
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (31 JUL 18:00).
- DUKEFEST (31 JUL to 03 AUG).
- The London Action Festival (28 to 31 JUL).
- Movey Night – East London Break Film Festival (30 JUL – Donations).
- Refocusing the Lens: From the Centre to the Margins (30 JUL to 03 AUG).
THE LUNA CINEMA at Westminster Abbey
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY (31 JUL 21:00).
OUTDOOR CINEMA at The Cinema In The Arches
- STAND BY ME (31 JUL 19:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- LIGHTYEAR (31 JUL 21:00).
- Also 29 JUL to 04 AUG (various dates/times): CALL ME BY YOUR NAME d. Luca Guadagnino, 2017 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE + BONUS FOOTAGE d. Daniels, 2022 at: Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / // JOYRIDE d. Emer Reynolds, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinema / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas // LOOKING FOR VENERA d. Norika Sefa, 2021 at: ICA.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.