THURSDAY 01 SEPTEMBER 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
BOTH SIDES OF THE BLADE aka Avec amour et acharnement d. Claire Denis, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Curzon Bloomsbury (01 SEP 18:00).
“Claire Denis’ piercing exploration of married life features a trio of powerful performances by Juliette Binoche, Vincent Lindon and Grégoire Colin.”
“Sara (Binoche) and Jean (Lindon) have been together for ten years. Happy in their relationship, the couple first met when Sara was living with François (Colin), Jean’s best friend. Now, years after she last saw him, Sara catches a glimpse of François on the street. He doesn’t see her, but shortly after the encounter, he reconnects with Jean. Slowly, François’s presence starts to threaten the stability of the couple’s world.”
“One of contemporary French cinema’s most provocative filmmakers, whose work includes Beau Travail (1999), White Material (2009) and Trouble Every Day (2001), Both Sides of the Blade sees Denis working again with her Let the Sunshine In (2017) co-writer Christine Angot. But where that film adopted a playful approach to personal relationships, the existential threat posed by François in this one sees the drama unfold in a more intense emotional register, powerfully conveyed by Binoche, Lindon and Colin.”
- Whirled Docs – 27: GONE TOO SOON d. Simon Napier-Bell, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (01 SEP 20:00).
- BOTH SIDES OF THE BLADE aka Avec amour et acharnement d. Claire Denis, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Curzon Bloomsbury (01 SEP 18:00).
- THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI d. David Lean, 1957 presented by Screenplay By at The Cinema Museum (01 SEP 19:00).
- THE COTTON CLUB d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1984 presented by Ruby Fontaine’s Film Club at Fontaine’s (01 SEP 20:30 – FREE!).
- THE GOLD MACHINE d. Grant Gee, 2022 + Q&A with the director & writer Iain Sinclair at Curzon Soho (01 SEP 18:20).
- NOTRE DAME ON FIRE d. Jean-Jacques Annaud, 2022 at The David Lean (01 SEP 14:30 & 19:30).
- SORCERER d. William Friedkin, 1977 at BFI Southbank (01 SEP 18:00).
- TOP GUN: DOUBLE BILL at Curzon Cinemas (01 SEP various).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- PREDATOR 35mm d. John McTiernan, 1987 (01 SEP 12:30).
- TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY 35mm d. James Cameron, 1991 (01 SEP 15:00).
- THE MATRIX 35mm d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 (01 SEP 20:35).
BADASS B-MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- TAMMY AND THE T-REX [Gore Cut] d. Stewart Raffill, 1994 (01 SEP 18:15).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FATEFUL MOMENTS IN TIME! at BFI Southbank
- LIFT TO THE SCAFFOLD d. Louis Malle, 1958 (01 SEP 18:30).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- THE CRANES ARE FLYING d. Mikhail Kalatozov, 1957 (01 SEP 18:00).
CELEBRATING PENÉLOPE CRUZ at The Garden Cinema
- EVERYBODY KNOWS d. Asghar Farhadi, 2018 (01 SEP 20:00).
CLASSIC DISNEY SEASON at Everyman Cinemas
- THE LITTLE MERMAID d. Ron Clements & John Musker, 1989 (01 SEP various).
THE KOKER TRILOGY at Close-Up
- WHERE IS THE FRIEND’S HOUSE? d. Abbas Kiarostami, 1987 (01 SEP 20:15).
LONG-ASS MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- RRR d. S. S. Rajamouli, 2022 (01 SEP 14:30 – 180mins).
- YI YI d. Edward Yang, 2000 (01 SEP 20:20 – 173mins).
- AN ENGINEER’S ASSISTANT + ON THE ROAD: A DOCUMENT 35mm d. Tsuchimoto Noriaki, 1963 + 1964 (01 SEP 18:45).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (01 SEP 12:15).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU (01 SEP 20:00).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- WEST SIDE STORY 2021 (01 SEP 20:00).
BOB SPIT: WE DO NOT LIKE PEOPLE dir. Cesar Cabral, 2019
- Exclusively at: ICA
OFFICIAL COMPETITION aka Competencia Oficial dir. Mariano Cohn & Gastón Duprat, 2021
- Also 26 AUG to 01 SEP (various dates/times): AKILLA’S ESCAPE d. Charles Officer, 2022 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // EM VÀ TRỊNH d. Phan Gia Nhat Linh, 2022 at: Catford Mews / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema // HER WAY aka Une Femme du monde d. Cécile Ducrocq, 2021 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA // THE INVITATION d. Jessica M. Thompson, 2022 at: Genesis Cinema // MR. MALCOLM’S LIST d. Emma Holly Jones, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.