THURSDAY 02 DECEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
DICK JOHNSON IS DEAD d. Kirsten Johnson, 2020 + Q&A with the director at ICA (02 DEC 18:10).
- “Toggling between observational documentary and fictional fantasy, Johnson peels back layers of moviemaking as she and her eighty-something father face his death by enacting it in countless ways – with her father playing himself throughout. Dick’s growing dementia makes their quest even more of a challenge, but it doesn’t deter the pair’s commitment to explore the unlikely ways in which we might know and love one another all the way to the end. Innovative, joyous and heartbreaking all at once, DICK JOHNSON IS DEAD is a cinematic love letter unlike any other.”
- Whirled Docs – ALL THINGS MUST PASS: THE RISE & FALL OF TOWER RECORDS d. Colin Hanks, 2015 at Whirled Cinema (02 DEC 20:00).
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 at The Prince Charles (02 DEC 21:00).
- DICK JOHNSON IS DEAD d. Kirsten Johnson, 2020 + Q&A with the director at ICA (02 DEC 18:10).
- FUNERAL PARADE OF ROSES aka Bara no sôretsu d. Toshio Matsumoto, 1969 + Recorded intro by Professor Mitsuyo Wada-Marciano at BFI Southbank (02 DEC 18:00 – Joint ticket with The Shifting Spaces of Modern Japanese Cinema).
- HERE FOR LIFE d. Andrea Luka Zimmerman & Adrian Jackson, 2019 at The Whitechapel Gallery (02 DEC 19:00).
- INTERPRETATION OF REALITY: GEORG STEFAN TROLLER d. Ruth Rieser, 2021 at Austrian Cultural Forum (02 DEC 19:00 – FREE!).
- IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE 35mm d. Frank Capra, 1946 at The Prince Charles (01 to 24 DEC various).
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 at The Prince Charles (02 DEC 15:35).
- NEVER GONNA SNOW AGAIN d. Małgorzata Szumowska & Michał Englert, 2020 at The David Lean (02 DEC 14:30 & 19:30).
- REBECCA d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1940 presented by Hitchcock Film Club at Fontaine’s (02 DEC 20:00 – FREE!).
- REMEMBER THE NIGHT d. Mitchell Leisen, 1940 at BFI Southbank (02 DEC 14:30).
- THE ROOM d. Tommy Wiseau, 2003 at The Prince Charles (02 DEC 20:30).
- ROOM AT THE TOP 35mm d. Jack Clayton, 1959 + Intro by BFI Curator Josephine Botting at BFI Southbank (02 DEC 18:10).
- The Shifting Spaces of Modern Japanese Cinema panel discussion at BFI Southbank (02 DEC 20:40 – Joint ticket with FUNERAL PARADE OF ROSES).
- THE SILENT PARTNER d. Daryl Duke, 1978 at BFI Southbank (02 DEC 18:30).
- SUMMER WARS aka Samâ uôzu d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2009 + Pre-screening Gayming Panel + Post-Screening Game Tournament + DJs presented by Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest, London Gaymers & Gayming Magazine at The Two Brewers (02 DEC 19:30).
- TOKYO GODFATHERS d. Kon Satoshi, 2004 at The Prince Charles (02 DEC 18:15 – SUB).
- THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK 35mm d. George Miller, 1987 at BFI Southbank (02 DEC 20:45).
- Frames Of Representation (25 NOV to 04 DEC).
- French Film Festival (03 NOV to 15 DEC).
- London Baltic Film Festival (27 to 28 NOV).
- London International Animation Festival (26 NOV to 05 DEC).
- London Migration Film Festival (25 NOV to 01 DEC).
- London Palestine Film Festival (19 NOV to 03 DEC).
- London Surf Film Festival (02 to 04 DEC).
- Made In Prague Festival (07 NOV to 10 DEC).
- Russian Film Week (28 NOV to 05 DEC).
- Soho Horror Film Festival (26 to 28 NOV).
- Ukranian Film Festival (22 NOV to 06 DEC).
THE FIRST WAVE d. Matthew Heineman, 2021.
- Various venues, inc: Peckhamplex
HOUSE OF GUCCI d. Ridley Scott, 2021.
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Cinema in the Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / JW3 / Kino Bermondsey / Olympic Cinema / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
Also (26 NOV to 02 DEC various dates/times):
- 14 PEAKS: NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE d. Torquil Jones, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- BAD LUCK BANGING OR LOONY PORN d. Radu Jude, 2021 at: Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Rio Cinema.
- FALLEN ANGELS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1995 at: The Prince Charles.
- JFK REVISITED: THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS d. Oliver Stone, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- LAPWING d. Philip Stevens, 2020 at: Rio Cinema.
- PIRATES d. Reggie Yates, 2021 at: Catford Mews / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Rich Mix.
- THE SUMMIT OF THE GODS d. Patrick Imbert, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- THE UNFORGIVABLE d. Nora Fingscheidt, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- Kennington Bioscope presents A SOUL IN TORMENT from 35mm at The Cinema Museum (02 FEB 2022).
- Kung Fu Cinema presents late-nite Kung Fu at Genesis Cinema (04 & 11 FEB 2022).
- Musical Sunday presents GYPSY at The Cinema Museum (23 JAN 2022).
- Japan Foundation presents WHAT LIES BENEATH at ICA (04 to 13 FEB 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.