THURSDAY 07 APRIL 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
LA GRANDE ILLUSION d. Jean Renoir, 1937 + Intro by Sue Harris (07 APR 18:30) / Part of THE GOLDEN AGE OF FRENCH CINEMA at The Garden Cinema:
“During WWI, two French officers are captured. Captain De Boeldieu is an aristocrat while Lieutenant Marechal was a mechanic in civilian life. They meet other prisoners from various backgrounds, and are eventually transferred to a fortress commanded by the aristocrat Van Rauffenstein. De Boeldieu strikes up a friendship with him but Marechal and his fellow inmates still want to escape. One of the very first prison escape movies, LA GRANDE ILLUSION is hailed as one of the greatest films ever made.” (The Garden Cinema)
- CYRANO d. Joe Wright, 2021 at The David Lean (07 APR 14:30 & 19:30 / 12 APR 19:30).
- MilkTea MixTape: Short Film Showcase at The Garden Cinema (07 APR 20:00).
- Not Another London Film Screening short film programme at Ridley Road Social Club E8 (07 APR 19:00).
- SMALL BODY aka Piccolo corpo d. Laura Samani, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Genesis Cinema (07 APR 18:15).
- VERTIGO d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1958 presented by Hitchcock Film Club at Fontaine’s (07 APR 20:00 – FREE!).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): OUT OF THE BLUE 35mm d. Dennis Hopper, 1980 (07 APR 18:05).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE MASTER 70mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012 (07 APR 20:30).
007 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN d. Guy Hamilton, 1974 (07 APR 15:10 4K).
ANIME at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE ANTHEM OF THE HEART aka Kokoro ga Sakebitagatterunda d. Tatsuyuki Nagai, 2015 (07 APR 20:30).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BELLE aka Ryû to sobakasu no hime d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2021 (07 APR 12:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LOURDES 35mm d. Jessica Hausner, 2009 (07 APR 18:10); LÉON MORIN, PRÊTRE 4K aka Léon Morin, Priest d. Jean-Pierre Melville, 1961 (07 APR 20:40).
DENIS VILLENEUVE: IN REVERSE at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): DUNE d. Denis Villeneuve, 2021 (07 APR 15:30).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for full listings): 8½ d. Federico Fellini, 1963 (07 APR 20:00).
THE GOLDEN AGE OF FRENCH CINEMAat The Garden Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LA GRANDE ILLUSION d. Jean Renoir, 1937 + Intro by Sue Harris (07 APR 18:30).
JOACHIM TRIER’S OSLO TRILOGY at ICA
- Includes (check venue for full listings): REPRISE d. Joachim Trier, 2006 (07 APR 20:45); THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD d. Joachim Trier, 2022 (until 07 APR).
JOACHIM TRIER’S OSLO TRILOGY at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): OSLO, AUGUST 31ST d. Joachim Trier, 2011 (07 APR 21:00).
LIV ULLMANN: FACE TO FACE at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE PASSION OF ANNA aka En Passion d. Ingmar Bergman, 1969 (07 APR 18:15). Re-release: CRIES & WHISPERS aka Viskningar och rop d. Ingmar Bergman, 1972 (01 to 14 APR).
ONE AND DONE at Genesis Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE WOLF HOUSE d. Cristobal León & Joaquín Cociña, 2018 (07 APR 21:00).
- Essay Film Festival (19 MAR to 23 APR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 03 APR).
- London Independent Film Festival (01 to 10 APR).
- The People’s Film Festival (02 to 09 APR).
- South Social Film Festival – Nordic Focus (02 APR).
- Spanish Spring Weekend (01 to 03 APR).
- Also 01 to 07 APR (various dates/times): LA FAMILLE BELIER dir. Eric Lartigau, 2014 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // THE NOVICE dir. Laura Hadaway, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas // ONE OF THESE DAYS dir. Bastian Günther, 2020 at: Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas // REVOLUTION OF OUR TIMES dir. Kiwi Chow, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas // TRUE THINGS dir. Harry Wootliff, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios // XUETA ISLAND dir. Ofer Laszewicki, Dani Rotstein & Felipe Wolokita, 2021 at: JW3.
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.