THURSDAY 08 JULY 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
Raw Vision at Barbican Cinema (08 JUL 18:30) / Part of Splash, Scratch, Dunk! Films Made by Hand.
- “Dive into a world of colour with this programme of films made by scratching into, painting on, or affixing things to the surface of the filmstrip. These films are made entirely without recourse to photography: the abstract imagery on show is derived exclusively from the artists’ interventions on the surface of the celluloid itself. We begin and end with Len Lye, a pioneer of handmade cinema, and a touchstone for the handmade moving image-artists who followed.” (Barbican)
- Please note: this programme contains flashing light and is not suitable for people with certain types of epilepsy.
- ANDREI RUBLEV 35MM d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1966 at The Prince Charles (08 JUL 13:40).
- AS TEARS GO BY 4K aka Wong Gok ka moon d. Wong Kar Wai, 1988 at ICA (08 JUL 13:40).
- BURNING AN ILLUSION 35MM d. Menelik Shabazz, 1981 + Short: BUT YOU’RE NOT BLACK d. Danielle Ayow, 2019 presented by T A P E Collective at BFI Southbank (08 JUL 17:45).
- CASABLANCA 35MM d. Michael Curtiz, 1942 at The Prince Charles (08 JUL 15:25).
- DAYS OF BEING WILD 4K aka Ah Fei jing juen d. Wong Kar Wai, 1990 at ICA (08 JUL 18:30).
- DAYS OF BEING WILD 4K aka Ah Fei jing juen d. Wong Kar Wai, 1990 + Recorded Intro by season programmer Ann Lee at BFI Southbank (08 JUL 20:50).
- EVIL DEAD II d. Sam Raimi, 1987 at The Prince Charles (08 JUL 11:40).
- FULL MOON IN PARIS 35MM aka Les nuits de la pleine lune d. Éric Rohmer, 1984 at The Prince Charles (08 JUL 18:00).
- HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY d. John Ford, 1941 at BFI Southbank (08 JUL 14:15).
- LET’S TALK d. Marianne Khoury, 2019 + Q&A with the director at ICA (08 JUL 18:30) / Part of SAFAR Film Festival.
- L’UNE CHANTE, L’AUTRE PAS d. Agnès Varda, 1977 at The Prince Charles (08 JUL 12:40).
- Now What Film Night + Q&A short film programme at Catford Mews (08 JUL 18:30).
- OTHER, LIKE ME – THE ORAL HISTORY OF COUM & THROBBING GRISTLE d. Marcus Werner Hed, 2020 + Q&A with the director at Rio Cinema (08 JUL 20:45) / Part of Doc’n Roll Festival.
- PERSIANS LESSONS d. Vadim Perelman, 2020 at JW3 (08 JUL 15:00).
- Raw Vision at Barbican Cinema (08 JUL 18:30) / Today’s featured attraction!
- SAMJIN COMPANY ENGLISH CLASS d. Jong-Pil Lee, 2020 at Everyman Screen On The Green (08 JUL 18:00) / Part of London Korean Film Festival Teaser Screenings.
- SUPERNOVA d. Harry Macqueen, 2020 + Recorded Q&A with the director at Riverside Studios (08 JUL 20:15).
- THE TERMINATOR 35MM d. James Cameron, 1984 at The Prince Charles (08 JUL 17:30).
- TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY d. James Cameron, 1991 at The Prince Charles (08 JUL 20:00).
- ULTRAVIOLENCE d. Ken Fero, 2020 at BFI Southbank (08 JUL 18:15).
- YOU WILL DIE AT 20 d. Amjad Abu Alala, 2019 at ICA (08 JUL 21:15) / Part of SAFAR Film Festival.
- CALL ME BY YOUR NAME d. Luca Guadagnino, 2017 at Bar Elba SE1 (08 JUL 21:30).
- FERRIS BUELLER’S DAY OFF d. John Hughes, 1986 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (08 JUL 21:15).
- KNIVES OUT d. Rian Johnson, 2019 at The Luna Cinema at Old Royal Naval College (08 JUL 21:15).
- THE LOST BOYS d. Joel Schumacher, 1987 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (08 JUL 21:15).
- Bagri Foundation London Indian Film Festival (17 JUN to 04 JUL).
- Doc’n Roll Festival – Summer Screenings (JUN & JUL).
- London Korean Film Festival – Teaser Screenings (JUL).
- Queer East – Pride Season (JUN to JUL).
- SAFAR Film Festival: Generational Encounters in Arab Cinema (01 to 06 JUL).
- Sohome Horror Fest Pride 2021 (02 to 04 JUL online).
ANOTHER ROUND d. Thomas Vinterberg, 2021
- Daily, inc: Archlight Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / The Castle / Catford Mews / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / ICA / The Lexi / Olympic Studios / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
LADY BOSS: THE JACKIE COLLINS STORY d. Laurie Fairrie, 2021
- Daily, inc: Curzon Cinemas
- Also (other films/venues may be available!): DON’T GO GENTLE: A FILM ABOUT IDLES d. Mark Archer, 2020 at Picturehouse Cinemas (daily 02 to 08 JUL various times).
- Musical Sunday presents HAIRSPRAY (2007) at The Cinema Museum (07 NOV 2021).
- Sonic Cinema presents A Masterclass with Dirk Schaefer at IKLECTIK (24 OCT 2021).
- The ultimate SCREAM GUIDE to the best horror films in London this Halloween!
- Twisted Folk, a season of folk horror films at Catford Mews (02 OCT to 10 NOV 2021).
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.