THURSDAY 09 JUNE 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Animation Brüt short film programme at Close-Up (09 JUN 20:15).
“Animation Brüt is a rejection of conventional storytelling and image making. It embraces the gestural, the fervent, and the fevered dreamers of sequential imagery. Animation has limits, Animation Brüt embraces them and licks the wrapping for more flavour. Featuring CGI lacerations, hammered steel stop motion, and queer yearnings fuzzed out on magnetic tape. Curated by Sam Gurry, Animation Brüt is a night of experimental animation, presenting 12 films by creators outside its traditional paradigm who seek to break down its boundaries from the inside.” (Close-Up)
- ALL MY FRIENDS HATE ME d. Andrew Gaynord, 2021 + Q&A with Tom Palmer & Tom Stourton at BFI Southbank (09 JUN 20:40).
- Animation Brüt short film programme at Close-Up (09 JUN 20:15).
- BLADE RUNNER: THE FINAL CUT d. Ridley Scott, 1982 at Chiswick Cinema (09 JUN 19:30).
- BOYCOTT d. Julia Bacha, 2021 + Q&A with the director, director of Palestine Solidarity Campaign Ben Jamal & President of the US/Middle East Project Daniel Levy at Bertha DocHouse (09 JUN 18:30).
- DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA d. Simon Curtis, 2022 at The David Lean (09 JUN 14:30 & 19:30).
- THE HOLY MOUNTAIN d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1973 at The Prince Charles (09 JUN 17:55).
- IL BUCO d. Michelangelo Frammartino, 2021 + Q&A with the director at ICA (09 JUN 18:20).
- We Stand with Ukraine: PARTHENON aka Partenonas d. Mantas Kvedaravicius, 2019 in tribute to Mantas Kvedaravicius at Ciné Lumière (09 JUN 18:30).
- THE SQUARE d. Ruben Östlund, 2017 at Genesis Cinema (09 JUN 17:45).
- Tom Cruise Cocktail Masterclass with Bobby + COCKTAIL d. Roger Donaldson, 1988 at Genesis Cinema Bar Paragon (09 JUN 19:00).
- WHAT WE SHARED d. Kamila Kuc + Q&A with the director at The Whitechapel Gallery (09 JUN 19:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- ARMAGEDDON 35mm d. Michael Bay, 1998 (09 JUN 20:35).
007 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- GOLDENEYE d. Martin Campbell, 1995 (09 JUN 15:00 – 4K).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER d. Charles Laughton, 1955 (09 JUN 12:45).
CELEBRATING ANNA MAGNANI at The Garden Cinema
- THE FUGITIVE KIND d. Sidney Lumet, 1960 (09 JUN 18:00).
COLLECTIVE MOBILISATION at ICA
- JACK’S RIDE aka No táxi do Jack d. Susana Nobre, 2021 (09 JUN 20:45).
LONG-ASS MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- ARMAGEDDON 35mmd. Michael Bay, 1998 (09 JUN 20:35 – 150mins).
OF SIN & SALVATION: THE CINEMA OF ROBERT BRESSON at BFI Southbank
- UNE FEMME DOUCE aka A Gentle Creature d. Robert Bresson, 1970 (09 JUN 20:40).
- Re-releases: PICKPOCKET d. Robert Bresson, 1959 (03 JUN to 30 JUN various).
RETURN OF THE OUTSIDER: THE FILMS OF MIKE HODGES at BFI Southbank
- Re-releases: GET CARTER 4K Restoration d. Mike Hodges, 1971 (until 09 JUN).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (09 JUN 21:00).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- PURPLE RAIN (09 JUN 21:15).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- BOOKSMART (09 JUN 21:15).
THE CAMERA IS OURS: BRITAIN’S WOMEN DOCUMENTARY MAKERS d. Marion Grierson, Ruby Grierson, Brigid ‘Budge’ Cooper, Kay Mander & Sarah Erulkar, 1935-67:
- Various venues, inc: ICA
LUCHADORAS d. Paola Calvo & Patrick Jasim, 2021:
- Various venues, inc: Bertha DocHouse
- Also 03 to 09 JUN (various dates/times): DASHCAM d. Rob Savage, 2021 at: The Prince Charles // ELIZABETH: A PORTRAIT IN PART(S) d. Roger Michell, 2022 + Recorded Q&A at: Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios // LANCASTER d. David Fairhead & Anthony Palmer, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / Olympic Studios / Regent Street Cinema // MEN d. Alex Garland, 2022 at: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema // OLGA d. Elie Grappe, 2022 at: Riverside Studios // PICKPOCKET d. Robert Bresson, 1959 at: BFI / Ciné Lumière / ICA.
- Bohemia Media presents REBEL DYKES at The Apple Tree (03 JUL 2022)
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE PSYCHO SEQUELS at The Cinema Museum (24 JUL 2022)
- Create Hong Kong & Focus Hong Kong present Making Waves – Navigators of Hong Kong Cinema (08 to 10 JUL 2022)
- Crap Film Club presents TAMMY AND THE T-REX at The Old Queens Head (14 JUL 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.