THURSDAY 09 SEPTEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
WATERMELON MAN + Short: CINQ CENT BALLES d. Melvin Van Peebles, 1970 + 1961 at Barbican Cinema (09 SEP 18:10).
- “Best known for SWEET SWEETBACK’S BAADASSSSS SONG, Van Peebles career has always been informed by a strong commitment to the spirit of independent cinema and despite being a studio picture, his distinct approach is apparent throughout. WATERMELON MAN tells the story of a bigoted white American man (expertly played by stand-up comic Godfrey Cambridge, donning whiteface for the role) who wakes up to discover to his horror, that he has turned into a Black man. The film takes this fantastical concept and manages to infuse both a sense of empathy for the predicament of the central character alongside functioning as a social critique of US race relations and Black radicalism.”
- Barbican cinema curator Matthew Barrington has posted these screen notes about the film.
- AMERICAN GRAFFITI 35mm d. George Lucas, 1973 at The Prince Charles (09 SEP 15:15).
- A Story, a Battle and An Excuse presented by The London Community Video Archive at Genesis Cinema (09 SEP 18:40).
- A WONDERFUL CLOUD d. Eugene Kotlyarenko, 2015 + Q&A with the director presented by Jellied Reels at The Castle Cinema (09 SEP 21:00).
- BEAVIS AND BUTT-HEAD DO AMERICA 35mm d. Mike Judge & Mike DeSeve, 1996 at The Prince Charles (09 SEP 17:50).
- BURNING AN ILLUSION d. Menelik Shabazz, 1981 + Q&A at Lexi Cinema (09 SEP 19:45).
- CALL NORTHSIDE 777 4k d. Henry Hathaway, 1948 at BFI (09 SEP 14:30).
- CRY OF THE CITY d. Robert Siodmak, 1948 at BFI (09 SEP 18:10).
- INHERENT VICE 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2014 at The Prince Charles (09 SEP 20:35).
- KABUL, CITY IN THE WIND d. Aboozar Amini, 2018 at ICA (09 SEP 16:25).
- THE LOST LEONARDO d. Andreas Koefoed, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Barbican (09 SEP 18:10).
- MEETING THE BEATLES IN INDIA d. Paul Saltzman, 2020 at Olympic Studios (09 SEP 19:40).
- REAR WINDOW d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1954 at BFI (09 SEP 20:45).
- RENATE SAMI 1 short film programme at Goethe-Institut (09 SEP 18:30).
- SHOWGIRLS LIVE! featuring SHOWGIRLS d. Paul Verhoeven, 1995 + live performances presented by Baby Lame at Rio Cinema (09 SEP 20:00).
- WATERMELON MAN + Short: CINQ CENT BALLES d. Melvin Van Peebles, 1970 + 1961 at Barbican Cinema (09 SEP 18:10).
- THE NOTEBOOK d. Nick Cassavetes, 2004 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (09 SEP 20:00).
- NOTTING HILL d. Roger Michell, 1999 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (09 SEP 20:00).
- CASA Festival (01 to 29 SEP).
- Crystal Palace International Film Festval (09 SEP to 02 OCT).
- Open City Documentary Festival (08 to 14 SEP in venues / 13 to 23 SEP online).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (09 to 19 SEP).
- Sci-Fi-London 48hr Film Challenge (04 to 06 SEP).
ANNETTE d. Leos Carax, 2021.
- Also (03 to 09 SEP various dates/times): THE CHAMPION OF AUSCHWITZ d. Maciej Barczewski, 2020 at: JW3 / Picturehouse Cinemas // DAVID BYRNE’S AMERICAN UTOPIA d. Spike Lee, 2020 at: The Prince Charles // EPICENTRO d. Hubert Sauper, 2020 at: Bertha DocHouse // JANINE JANSEN: FALLING FOR STRADIVARI d. Gerald Fox, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // JAZZ ON A SUMMER’S DAY d. Aram Avakian & Bert Stern, 1959 at: Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas // WILDFIRE d. Cathy Brady, 2020 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / BFI / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Rio Cinema.
- THE LIGHT OF DAY + Discussion with Anne Bean & Alex Eisenberg at LUX (03 OCT 2021).
- Lost Vampires season at ICA & The Prince Charles Cinema (25 SEP to 20 OCT 2021)
- Double Wonderful presents GREENER GRASS at Venue MOT Unit 18 (05 OCT 2021)
- Not Like Us? Female misfits on screen at Genesis Cinema & online (20 to 26 SEP 2021)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.