THURSDAY 11 AUGUST 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
LUMINOUS PROCURESS (Restored Version) dir Steven Arnold, 1971 + Introduction by Mehelli Modi, founder of Second Run at ICA (11 AUG 20:45).
“Steven Arnold was one of America’s most original visual artists – a ‘queer mystic’ whose art, and life, knew no boundaries in his adopted home town of San Francisco. Luminous Procuress, his only feature, was fêted by Salvador Dalí and Andy Warhol, yet was feared lost for years after its low-profile release in 1971. It’s now been found and restored to all its sensuous glory, and this vivid new restoration receives its UK premiere at the ICA.”
“Luminous Procuress is the missing link between Flaming Creatures and Thundercrack!, an anarchic vision of a sexual utopia where gender is abstract and liberation is absolute. As The Procuress (Pandora) leads two wide-eyed young men through a wonderland of ill repute, female and male interchange and fuse, and pretty much anything goes. It’s a vivid and valuable document of LGBTQ+ history – and it’s never looked better than today.”
“The screening will be introduced by Mehelli Modi, founder of Second Run, which releases this new restoration.” (ICA)
- ALICE IN WONDERLAND d. Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson & Hamilton Luske, 1951 at BFI Southbank (11 AUG 13:30).
- BLIND AMBITION d. Warwick Ross & Rob Coe, 2021 + Recorded Q&A at various venues, inc: Bertha DocHouse (11 AUG 18:20); Everyman Cinemas (11 AUG various); Genesis Cinema (11 AUG 18:15); Picturehouse Cinemas (11 AUG various); Riverside Studios (11 AUG 19:45).
- LUMINOUS PROCURESS (Restored Version) d. Steven Arnold, 1971 + Introduction by Mehelli Modi, founder of Second Run at ICA (11 AUG 20:45).
- ABORTION HELPLINE, THIS IS LISA d. Barbara Attie, Janet Goldwater & Mike Attie, 2019 + Q&A with co-director Mike Attie & guests presented online by Bertha DocHouse (11 AUG 19:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- THE CONFORMIST 35mm aka IL Conformista d. Bernardo Bertolucci, 1970 (11 AUG 18:15).
- FIRE IN THE SKY 35mm d. Robert Lieberman, 1993 (11 AUG 18:30).
- ALIEN [Director’s Cut] 35mm d. Ridley Scott, 1979 (11 AUG 21:00).
A JORDAN PEELE TAKE OVER x BLACK INK CINEMA at Genesis Cinema
- GET OUT d. Jordan Peele, 2017 (11 AUG 20:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: POWER! at BFI Southbank
- NOTORIOUS d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946 (11 AUG 18:10).
- RAGING BULL d. Martin Scorsese, 1980 (11 AUG 20:30).
- PERSONA d. Ingmar Bergman, 1966 (11 AUG 21:00).
CELEBRATING FILM NOIR at The Garden Cinema
- HÔTEL DU NORD d. Marcel Carné, 1938 (11 AUG 18:00).
CELEBRATING PENÉLOPE CRUZ at The Garden Cinema
- JAMÓN JAMÓN d. Bigas Luna, 1993 (11 AUG 20:00).
COLLECTIVE MOBILISATION at ICA
- SUZANNE DAVEAU d. Luisa Homem, 2019 (05 to 11 AUG various).
THE FILMS OF BOB FOSSE at The Prince Charles:
- ALL THAT JAZZ 35mm d. Bob Fosse, 1979 (11 AUG 20:45 – 4K).
FROM JAMAICA TO THE WORLD: REGGAE ON FILM at BFI Southbank
- Re-release: THE HARDER THEY COME d. Perry Henzell, 1972 (05 to 18 AUG).
INDIANA JONES IN 4K at The Prince Charles
- RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK 4K d. Steven Spielberg, 1981 (11 AUG 12:30).
POST-HORROR SUMMER NIGHTS at Barbican
- HEREDITARY d. Ari Aster, 2018 (11 AUG 18:20).
RAINER WERNER FASSBINDER at The Prince Charles
- EFFI BRIEST d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1974 (11 AUG 15:15).
SATYAJIT RAY: THE LANGUAGE OF FILM at BFI Southbank
- Travel stories: KAPURUSH + MAHAPURUSH aka The Coward + The Holy Man d. Satyajit Ray, 1965 (11 AUG 18:00).
WIM WENDERS at Curzon Cinemas
- Check venue for details.
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (11 AUG 16:10).
OUTDOOR CINEMA at The Cinema In The Arches
- KING RICHARD (11 AUG 19:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE (11 AUG 20:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- THE LOST CITY (11 AUG 20:30).
SUZANNE DAVEAU dir Luisa Homem, 2019
- Exclusively at: ICA
- Also 05 to 11 AUG (various dates/times): BURNING AN ILLUSION d. Menelik Shabazz, 1981 at: Picturehouse Cinemas (various) // FEATHERS d. Omar El Zohairy, 2021 at: ICA // MAISIE d. Lee Cooper, 2021 at: ICA / Peckhamplex // NIGHTCLUBBING: THE BIRTH OF PUNK ROCK IN NYC + SID: THE FINAL CURTAIN d. Danny Garcia, 2022 at: Rio Cinema // ROMAN HOLIDAY d. William Wyler, 1953 at Picturehouse Cinemas (various).
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- BIG BOYS DON’T CRY + Q&A raising funds for NAPAC at Everyman Borough Yards (03 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.