THURSDAY 15 JULY 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
WOMEN PIONEERS OF SILENT CINEMA + Intro by Bryony Dixon & Live Accompaniment by John Sweeney at Ciné Lumière (15 JUL 18:20) / Part of WOMEN PIONEERS OF FRENCH CINEMA.
- “Discover the films of Alice Guy-Blaché, the first person to have directed a fiction film, together with other works that show how the torch was picked up and carried by other women directors working in the early decades of cinema.”
- 2046 4K d. Wong Kar Wai, 2004 at BFI Southbank (15 JUL 20:20).
- BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN aka Bronenosets Potemkin d. Sergei Eisenstein, 1925 at BFI Southbank (15 JUL 18:00).
- THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE d. Dario Argento, 1970 4K Restoration at Genesis Cinema (15 JUL 21:00).
- BLUE VELVET 35MM d. David Lynch, 1986 at The Prince Charles (15 JUL 17:45).
- DEMON SLAYER THE MOVIE: MUGEN TRAIN d. Haruo Sotozaki, 2020 at The Prince Charles (15 JUL 20:45).
- DRIFTING d. Jun Li, 2021 at BFI Southbank (15 JUL 17:50) / Opening night of Chinese Visual Festival.
- THE HAND [Director’s Cut] d. Wong Kar Wai, 2004 at ICA (15 JUL 17:00).
- HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH 35MM d. John Cameron Mitchell, 2011 at The Prince Charles (daily 09 to 15 JUL not 12 JUL various).
- KANSAS CITY 35MM d. Robert Altman, 1996 at BFI Southbank (15 JUL 17:40).
- LA HAINE d. Mathieu Kassovitz, 1995 at Picturehouse Cinemas (15 JUL various).
- LOST & BEAUTIFUL aka Bella e perduta d. Pietro Marcello, 2015 at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 JUL 14:15).
- LOST & BEAUTIFUL aka Bella e perduta d. Pietro Marcello, 2015 at ICA (15 JUL 20:30).
- SOLARIS d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972 at The Prince Charles (15 JUL 11:45).
- THREE COLOURS: BLUE 35MM d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1993 at The Prince Charles (15 JUL 15:50).
- TOVE d. Zaida Bergroth, 2020 + Recorded Intro by the director & actor Alma Pöysti presented by Birds’ Eye View #ReclaimTheFrame at Barbican (15 JUL 14:30).
- Troubling the Image at Barbican Cinema (15 JUL 18:30).
- WITHNAIL & I d. Bruce Robinson, 1987 at The Prince Charles (15 JUL 20:20).
- WOMEN PIONEERS OF SILENT CINEMA + Intro by Bryony Dixon & Live Accompaniment by John Sweeney (15 JUL 18:20).
- THE BODYGUARD d. Mick Jackson, 1992 at The Luna Cinema at Marble Hill (15 JUL 21:15).
- CASABLANCA d. Michael Curtiz, 1942 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (15 JUL 21:10).
- DEADPOOL d. Tim Miller, 2016 at Bar Elba SE1 (15 JUL 21:00).
- TRUE ROMANCE d. Tony Scott, 1993 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (15 JUL 21:15).
- Chinese Visual Festival (15 to 25 JUL).
- Doc’n Roll Festival – Summer Screenings (JUN & JUL).
- Kendal Mountain Festival UK Tour (15 JUL).
- Queer East – Pride Season (JUN to JUL).
- SAFAR Film Festival: Generational Encounters in Arab Cinema (01 to 17 JUL).
- Also (other venues may be available!): OEDORA d. Judith Abensour, 2021 at ICA // THE LETTER d. Maia Lekow & Christopher King, 2019 at Bertha DocHouse // MOSLEY: IT’S COMPLICATED d. Michael Shevloff, 2020 at The Prince Charles // NASHVILLE d. Robert Altman, 1975 at Catford Mews // THE SURROGATE d. Jeremy Hersh, 2020 at Barbican / Picturehouse Cinemas // TRAINSPOTTING d. Danny Boyle, 1996 at Catford Mews // THE TRUFFLE HUNTERS Michael Dweck & Gregory Kershaw, 2020 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / Curzon Cinemas / Olympic Studios.
- Oliver Dickens presents two films by Kira Muratova to raise funds for Ukraine at Rio Cinema & Ciné Lumière (07 & 14 JUN 2022).
- Lost Vampires presents BILLY THE KID AND THE GREEN BAIZE VAMPIRE 35mm + Q&A with Phil Daniels at The Prince Charles (27 JUN 2022).
- Science Fiction Theatre returns with three sci-fi classics this summer at The Castle Cinema (10 JUN to 12 AUG 2022).
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE FLY at The Castle Cinema (24 JUN 2022).
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.