THURSDAY 15 DECEMBER 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
BEING THERE 16mm d. Hal Ashby, 1979 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (15 DEC 19:30).
“After the death of his employer forces him out of the only home he’s ever known, a simpleminded, sheltered gardener becomes an unlikely trusted advisor to a powerful tycoon and an insider in Washington politics.”
Ciné-Real is one of the only film clubs in the UK to exclusively play films from original 16mm prints. They are a non-profit organisation which aims to unite film makers and enthusiasts in their appreciation of classic film.
- THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN d. Martin McDonagh, 2022 at The David Lean (15 DEC 14:30 HOH & 19:30).
- BEING THERE 16mm d. Hal Ashby, 1979 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (15 DEC 19:30).
- BELL, BOOK & CANDLE d. Richard Quine, 1958 presented by Lobotomy Room Film Club at Fontaine’s (15 DEC 20:00 – FREE!).
- BLACK CHRISTMAS d. Bob Clark, 1974 + Intro/Salon with Nick Walker, presented by Cult Classic Collective at Genesis Cinema (15 DEC 18:30).
- Keep It Cult: CLUELESS d. Amy Heckerling, 1995 at Catford Mews (15 DEC 19:00).
- GREMLINS d. Joe Dante, 1984 + Xmas movie quiz presented by Pulp Film Club at Whirled Cinema (15 DEC 19:30).
- HAPPY TOGETHER d. Wong Kar-wai, 1997 at The Garden Cinema (15 DEC 16:00).
- LION VS THE LITTLE PEOPLE d. Raphael Warner, 2022 at Genesis Cinema (15 DEC 16:15).
- NORTH CIRCULAR d. Luke McManus, 2022 presented by Irish Film London at Bertha DocHouse (15 DEC 18:20).
- Ukraine Fundraiser: PAMFIR d. Dmytro Sukholytkyy-Sobchuk, 2022 + Q&A presented by Ukrainian Signal at Genesis Cinema (15 DEC 18:15).
- TRADING PLACES d. John Landis, 1983 presented by Black Ink Cinema at Jim & Tonic at The Print House (15 DEC 19:00).
- ZUHAL d. Nazli Elif Durlu, 2021 presented by Reclaim The Frame x International at The Garden Cinema (15 DEC 20:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE 35mm d. Frank Capra, 1946 (01 to 24 DEC – check daily listings).
- THE APARTMENT 35mm d. Billy Wilder, 1960 (15 DEC 15:30).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER 2D d. Ryan Coogler, 2022 (until 15 DEC various).
- TOP GUN: MAVERICK d. Joseph Kosinski, 2022 (09 to 15 DEC various).
- VIOLENT NIGHT d. Tommy Wirkola, 2022 (09 to 15 DEC various).
CHRISTMAS at Everyman Cinemas
- Check venue for daily listings: DIE HARD d. John McTiernan, 1988 (various dates); HOME ALONE d. Chris Columbus, 1990 (various dates); ELF d. Jon Favreau, (various dates); THE POLAR EXPRESS d. Robert Zemeckis, 2004 (various dates); CASABLANCA d. Michael Curtiz, 1942 (various dates); LOVE ACTUALLY d. Richard Curtis, 2003 (various dates).
CHRISTMAS at Genesis Cinema
- DIE HARD d. John McTiernan, 1988 presented by Signature (15 DEC 21:00 + FREE drink).
CHRISTMAS at The Prince Charles
- IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE 35mm d. Frank Capra, 1946 (until 24 DEC – check daily listings).
- THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL d. Brian Henson, 1992 Sing Along (until 24 DEC various).
- THE APARTMENT 35mm d. Billy Wilder, 1960 (15 DEC 15:30).
- LOVE ACTUALLY d. Richard Curtis, 2003 (15 DEC 20:45).
IN DREAMS ARE MONSTERS at BFI Southbank
- Special events: Woman With A Movie Camera: THE BABADOOK d. Jennifer Kent, 2014 (15 DEC 18:15); GHOSTS CHRISTMAS SPECIAL + Q&A with cast & crew (15 DEC 18:20); The Final Girls Live: A celebration of producer Debra Hill (15 DEC 20:30); Film Wallahs: NIRVANA INN d. Vijay Jayapal, 2019 (15 DEC 20:50).
JEAN-LUC GODARD: PERSPECTIVES at Ciné Lumière
- BANDE À PART d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1964 (15 DEC 18:15).
OVER THE RAINBOW at BFI Southbank
- THE ELEPHANT MAN 4K d. David Lynch, 1980 (15 DEC 20:40).
- New releases: LYNCH/OZ d. Alexandre O Philippe, 2022 (until 15 DEC various).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- 2046 d. Wong Kar Wai, 2004 (15 DEC 18:00).
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (15 DEC 20:30 – 4K).
Also 09 to 15 DEC (various dates / times / venues):
- A LOVE SONG d. Max Walker-Silverman, 2022 at: Chiswick Cinema / Olympic Studios / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- ANONYMOUS CLUB d. Danny Cohen, 2022 at: Rio Cinema.
- CASABLANCA 80th Anniversary d. Michael Curtiz, 1942 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- EMANCIPATION d. Antoine Fuqua, 2022 at: Barbican / The Cinema In The Arches / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex.
- FANNY & ALEXANDER aka Fanny och Alexander d. Ingmar Bergman, 1982 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / BFI / Chiswick Cinema.
- MR BACHMANN AND HIS CLASS d. Maria Speth, 2021 at: Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / ICA.
- MUSIC IS MY LIFE d. Mpumi “Supa” Mbele, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- THE VOLCANO: RESCUE FROM WHAKAARI d. Rory Kennedy, 2022 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.