THURSDAY 22 SEPTEMBER 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER 16mm d. Charles Laughton, 1955 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (22 SEP 19:30 / 25 SEP 14:10).
“An expressionist classic about a corrupt preacher who holds nefarious motives for marrying an unsuspecting widow. Her terrified young children, soon become savvy to this strangers act.”
Ciné-Real is one of the only film clubs in the UK to exclusively play films from original 16mm prints. They are a non-profit organisation which aims to unite film makers and enthusiasts in their appreciation of classic film.
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 presented by Crofton Park Pictures at Rivoli Ballroom (22 SEP 19:30).
- AFTER LOVE d. Aleem Khan, 2020 presented by Highgate Film Society at HLSI (22 SEP 20:00 – followed by an online discussion 23 SEP 17:00).
- BREATHLESS aka A bout de souffle d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1960 + Intro by Programmer-at-Large Geoff Andrew at BFI Southbank (22 SEP 18:20).
- CRASH d. David Cronenberg, 1997 + Intro/Salon with Nick Walker, presented by Cult Classic Collective at Genesis Cinema (22 SEP 18:20).
- DANCER IN THE DARK d. Lars von Trier, 2000 at The Garden Cinema (22 SEP 20:10).
- Identity in Shorts short film programme at Creative Works E17 (22 SEP 18:30 – FREE!).
- JUNIPER d. Matthew J. Saville, 2021 + Q&A with Charlotte Rampling at The Gate (22 SEP 18:00).
- LANCASTER d. David Fairhead & Ant Palmer, 2022 at The David Lean (22 SEP 14:30 HOH & 19:00).
- LAST MAN STANDING: SUGE KNIGHT & THE MURDERS OF BIGGIE & TUPAC d. Nick Broomfield, 2021 presented by Only True Cinema at Whirled Cinema (22 SEP 19:00).
- Film Wallahs: MALAM d. Leonard Yip, 2021 + discussion hosted by Anuj Radia from Film Wallahs at BFI Southbank (22 SEP 18:10).
- THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER 16mm d. Charles Laughton, 1955 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (22 SEP 19:30 / 25 SEP 14:10).
- Preview: SIDNEY d. Reginald Hudlin, 2022 at ICA (22 SEP 18:45).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- BLUE VELVET 35mm d. David Lynch, 1986 (22 SEP 18:10).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- DUNE 70mm d. David Lynch, 1984 (22 SEP 15:00).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- MOONAGE DAYDREAM d. Brett Morgen, 2022 (16 to 22 SEP).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FATEFUL MOMENTS IN TIME! at BFI Southbank
- FARGO d. Joel and Ethan Coen, 1996 (22 SEP 20:55).
THE FILMS OF DAVID LYNCH at The Prince Charles
NEW GERMAN CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- ALI: FEAR EATS THE SOUL d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1974 (22 SEP 18:00).
PAM GRIER at Picturehouse Cinemas
- JACKIE BROWN d. Quentin Tarantino, 1997 (22 SEP various).
PAM GRIER: FOXY, FIERCE & FEARLESS at BFI Southbank
- COFFY d. Jack Hill, 1973 (22 SEP 18:00).
- SHEBA, BABY 35mm d. William Girdler, 1975 (22 SEP 21:00).
- Re-release: JACKIE BROWN d. Quentin Tarantino, 1997 (16 SEP to 02 OCT).
- BULKY TRASH + WHO’S AFRAID OF THE BOGEYMAN? d. Helke Misselwitz, 1990 + 1989 + Intro by Emily Mason at Goethe-Institut London (22 SEP 19:00).
SEASON OF CHAN at The Prince Charles
- POLICE STORY 2 4K d. Jackie Chan, 1988 (22 SEP 12:15).
SOUND AND VISION at BFI IMAX & Southbank
- David Bowie: THE HUNGER d. Tony Scott, 1983 (22 SEP 20:50).
- BFI IMAX: MOONAGE DAYDREAM d. Brett Morgen, 2022 (16 to 22 SEP).
TWO FILMS BY KOGONADA at The Prince Charles
- Alyssa Film Festival (16 to 24 SEP).
- Everyman Music Film Festival (01 to 30 SEP).
- Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest (20 to 25 SEP).
- London Spanish Film Festival (22 to 29 SEP).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (08 to 18 SEP).
- Portobello Film Festival (01 to 18 SEP).
- S.O.U.L. Fest x ABFF Global (16 to 18 SEP).
- Ukraine Defiant: Ukrainian Film Festival (22 to 25 SEP).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- GOOD LUCK TO YOU, LEO GRANDE (22 SEP 19:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA (22 SEP 19:30).
ATHENA dir. Romain Gavras, 2022:
- Exclusively at: Rio Cinema
HALLELUJAH: LEONARD COHEN, A JOURNEY, A SONG dir. Daniel Geller & Dayna Goldfine, 2021:
- Also 16 to 22 SEP (various dates/times): A JAZZMAN’S BLUES d. Tyler Perry, 2022 at: Curzon Cinemas // BLOODY ORANGES d. Jean-Christophe Meurisse, 2021 at: ICA // CLERKS III d. Kevin Smith, 2022 at: Catford Mews / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles // I AM A TOWN d. Mischa Richter, 2020 at: ICA // JACKIE BROWN d. Quentin Tarantino, 1997 at: BFI / Chiswick Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios // JAWS 3D d. Steven Spielberg, 1975 at: Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas // STRAWBERRY MANSION d. Kentucker Audley & Albert Birney, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas / ICA // TICKET TO PARADISE d. Ol Parker, 2022 at (from 20 SEP): Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema in the Arches / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Kino Bermondsey / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- BIG BOYS DON’T CRY + Q&A raising funds for NAPAC at Everyman Borough Yards (03 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.