THURSDAY 23 SEPTEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
YOU WILL DIE AT TWENTY aka Satamoto fel eshreen d. Amjad Abu Alala, 2019 + Recorded Q&A with the director at BFI (23 SEP 20:30) / Part of THE TIME IS NEW.
- “In this debut feature by Sudanese filmmaker Amjad Abu Alala, a young man is haunted by a prophecy that his life will end as soon as he turns 20. Bullied by the children of the village and called ‘the son of death’, Muzamil finds himself torn between a desire to live and an acceptance of his looming death.”
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 ‘unrestored version’ at The Prince Charles (23 SEP 20:15).
- A BRIXTON TALE d. Darragh Carey & Bertrand Desrochers, 2021 + Q&A with the directors & actor Craige Middleburg at Genesis Cinema (23 SEP 18:30).
- BLUE VELVET d. David Lynch, 1984 + Intro/Salon with Nick Walker presented by Cult Classic Collective at Genesis Cinema (23 SEP 18:15).
- BREATHLESS aka A bout de souffle d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1959 at Ciné Lumière (23 SEP 16:30).
- BREWSTER’S MILLIONS d. Walter Hill, 1985 at BFI (23 SEP 20:45).
- JIGSAW + ILLUMINATING THE WILDERNESS d. Robina Rose + Kate Adams, 1980 + 2018 + Intro by Professor Janet Harbord & Q&A with the directors at Barbican (23 SEP 18:00).
- ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT d. Beeban Kidron, 1989 + Q&A with the director at BFI (23 SEP 18:00).
- PATHS OF GLORY d. Stanley Kubrick, 1957 at The Prince Charles (23 SEP 17:45).
- THE THIRD MAN 16mm d. Carol Reed, 1949 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (23 SEP 19:30 – full capacity / 26 SEP 14:15 – socially distanced).
- THE UNDERCOVER MAN d. Joseph H Lewis, 1949 at BFI (23 SEP 14:45).
- YOU WILL DIE AT TWENTY aka Satamoto fel eshreen d. Amjad Abu Alala, 2019 + Recorded Q&A with the director at BFI (23 SEP 20:30).
- THE STORY OF LOOKING: Online Q&A with Mark Cousins presented by Bertha DocHouse (23 SEP 19:00 – Free / Q&A only).
- FRIDAY d. F. Gary Gray, 1995 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (23 SEP 20:00).
- OUR LADIES d. Michael Caton-Jones, 2019 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (23 SEP 20:00).
- Banglaverse Film Festival (16 to 18 SEP).
- CASA Festival (01 to 29 SEP).
- Crystal Palace International Film Festval (09 SEP to 02 OCT).
- Japanese Avant-garde & Experimental Film Festival (16 to 19 SEP at Barbican / 20 to 30 SEP online).
- Leytonstone Loves Film 2021 (15 to 19 SEP).
- Little Wing Film Festival (21 to 26 SEP).
- London Mountain Film Festival (18 SEP).
- London Palestine Film Pre-Festival Programme (21 to 23 SEP).
- London Spanish Film Festival (23 to 29 SEP).
- Open City Documentary Festival (08 to 14 SEP in venues / 13 to 23 SEP online).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (09 to 19 SEP).
- Queer East Film Festival (15 to 26 SEP).
- Unrestricted View Horror Film Festival (20 to 25 SEP).
- Also (17 to 23 SEP various dates/times): A BRIXTON TALE d. Darragh Carey & Bertrand Desrochers, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Catford Mews / Genesis Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Riverside Studios // AREN’T YOU HAPPY? d. Susanne Heinrich, 2018 at: ICA // FAUCI d. John Hoffman & Janet Tobias, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // GUNPOWDER MILKSHAKE d. Navot Papushado, 2021 at: Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / The Prince Charles (35mm) / Rich Mix // KAAMELOTT: FIRST INSTALMENT aka Kaamelott: Premier Volet d. Alexandre Astier, 2021 at: Ciné Lumière // MANDIBLES aka Les Mandibules d. Quentin Dupieux, 2020 at: Ciné Lumière / ICA // NINJABABY d. Yngvild Sve Flikke, 2021 at: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas // PRISONERS OF THE GHOSTLAND d. Sion Sono, 2020 at: Genesis Cinema / The Prince Charles // ROSE PLAYS JULIE d. Joe Lawlor & Christine Molloy, 2019 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / BFI / Chiswick Cinema / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Riverside Studios.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.