THURSDAY 24 MARCH 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE SALT OF THE EARTH d. Wim Wenders & Juliano Ribeiro Salgado, 2014 presented by Highgate Film Society at Highgate Literary & Scientific Institution (24 MAR 20:00 – Followed by an Online discussion 25 MAR 17:00).
“The universally acclaimed THE SALT OF THE EARTH is a powerful testament to life and work of the Brazilian social-documentary photographer Sebastiao Salgado. Throughout his 40-year-long career Salgado – who self-describes as ‘a witness to the human condition’ – used his photographic projects to explore the social and economic circumstances in some 120 countries, illuminating to unforgettable effect how the environment and humans are exploited to maximise profit for the global economy. Co-directed by his son Juliano alongside Wim Wenders, the documentary allows Salgado space to reflect on and explain the background to some of his photographs, taking us on a journey from hope to despair to some kind of hope again.” (Highgate Film Society)
- THE GODFATHER PART II d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1974 at Olympic Studios (24 MAR 19:40).
- THE GODFATHER PART II d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1974 at The Cinema In The Arches (24 MAR 19:45).
- THE HURT LOCKER 35mm d. Kathryn Bigelow, 2009 presented by Truman’s at Genesis Cinema (24 MAR 20:55 + FREE pint of something Truman’s!).
- CineClub: THE LAST AUSTRIANS d. Lukas Pitscheider, 2020 + Intro/Q&A with the director at Austrian Cultural Forum (24 MAR 19:00 – FREE!).
- NIGHTMARE ALLEY d. Guillermo del Toro, 2021 at The David Lean (24 MAR 14:30 & 19:00 / 29 MAR 19:00).
- Ukraine Fundraiser: OLGA d. Elie Grappe, 2022 at Catford Mews (24 MAR 21:00).
- Ukraine Fundraiser: OLGA d. Elie Grappe, 2022 at Curzon Cinemas (24 MAR various).
- THE ROOM d. Tommy Wiseau, 2003 at The Prince Charles (24 MAR 21:00).
- THE SALT OF THE EARTH d. Wim Wenders & Juliano Ribeiro Salgado, 2014 presented by Highgate Film Society at Highgate Literary & Scientific Institution (24 MAR 20:00 – Followed by an Online discussion 25 MAR 17:00).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 04 APR various).
007 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER 4K d. Guy Hamilton, 1971 (24 MAR 15:15).
1982 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL d. Steven Spielberg, 1982 (24 MAR 18:15).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): PARIS 13TH DISTRICT aka Les Olympiades d. Jacques Audiard, 2021 (18 to 31 MAR various).
CLOSE UP ON WONG KAR WAI at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for full listings): FALLEN ANGELS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1995 (24 MAR 20:15).
GENERATION AFRICA at Bertha DocHouse
- Includes (check venue for full listings): ZINDER d. Aïcha Macky, 2021 (24 MAR 20:20).
- Includes (check venue for listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 04 APR various).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): ONLY YESTERDAY d. Isao Takahata, 1991 (from 19 MAR).
- The Banff Mountain Film Festival (14 to 25 MAR).
- BFI Flare (16 to 27 MAR).
- Essay Film Festival (19 MAR to 23 APR).
- Hong Kong Film Festival (19 to 27 MAR).
- Human Rights Watch Film Festival (17 to 25 MAR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 03 APR).
- London Short Film Festival: Award Winners (19 & 20 MAR).
- Mois de la Francophonie (MAR).
- Oska Bright Film Festival (19 & 21 MAR).
- Also 18 to 24 MAR (various dates/times): EUROPA d. Haider Rashid, 2021 at: ICA // HIVE aka Zgjoi d. Blerta Basholi, 2021 at: ActOne Cinema / Barbican / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas // LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 at: ICA / Prince Charles Cinema // RIVER d. Jennifer Peedom, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Picturehouse Cinemas // SIN LA HABANA d. Kaveh Nabatian, 2021 at: JW3 (from 20 MAR) // THREE FLOORS d. Nanni Moretti, 2021 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / JW3 // X d. Ti West, 2022 at: Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.