THURSDAY 26 MAY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
IRREVERSIBLE d. Gaspar Noé, 2002 + Intro/Salon with Nick Walker presented by The Cult Classic Collective at Genesis Cinema (26 MAY 18:25).
“Events over the course of one traumatic night in Paris unfold in reverse-chronological order, as the beautiful Alex is brutally raped and beaten by a stranger in the underpass. Her boyfriend and ex-lover take matters into their own hands and subsequently seek revenge upon the assailant. A simultaneously beautiful and terrible examination of the destructive nature of cause and effect, and how time destroys everything.” (Genesis)
- BACK TO THE FUTURE d. Robert Zemeckis, 1985 presented by Crofton Park Pictures at Rivoli Ballroom (26 MAY 19:30).
- HITCHHIKER’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY d. Garth Jennings, 2005 presented by Sydenham Film Club at The Sydenham Centre (26 MAY 19:30).
- NIGHTMARE ALLEY d. Edmund Goulding, 1947 at The Garden Cinema (26 MAY 17:00).
- ROBOCOP [Director’s Cut] d. Paul Verhoeven, 1987 at Picturehouse Cinemas (26 MAY various).
- UNDERPLAYED d. Stacey Lee, 2020 + DJ sets at House Of Vans (26 MAY 19:00 – FREE!).
- VISIONS OF EMPIRE aka Visões do Império, 2020 at ICA (26 MAY 19:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- GLADIATOR 35mm d. Ridley Scott, 2000 (26 MAY 20:30).
007 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS d. John Glen, 1987 (26 MAY 15:00 – 4K).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- THE VELVET QUEEN aka La Panthère des neiges d. Marie Amiguet & Vincent Munier, 2021 (26 MAY 16:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- DAUGHTERS OF THE DUST d. Julie Dash, 1991 (26 MAY 20:40).
- THE LONG DAY CLOSES 35mm d. Terence Davies, 1992 (26 MAY 20:50).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- VAMPYR d. Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1932 (26 MAY 13:00).
CELEBRATING MARLON BRANDO at The Garden Cinema
- THE GODFATHER d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1972 (26 MAY 19:15).
CELEBRATING SIDNEY POITIER at The Garden Cinema
- IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT d. Norman Jewison, 1967 (26 MAY 18:00).
- BLACKBOARD JUNGLE d. Richard Brooks, 1955 (26 MAY 20:20).
CRUEL FLESH: FILMS OF THE NEW FRENCH EXTREMITY at BFI Southbank
- INSIDE aka À l’intérieur d. Alexandre Bustillo & Julien Maury, 2007 (26 MAY 18:20).
- Talks etc: Horror à la Française recorded panel discussion (online 11 to 31 MAY).
- Releases: VORTEX d. Gaspar Noé, 2021 (13 to 26 MAY).
#EXPLOREFRANCE – CÔTE D’AZUR at Ciné Lumière
- DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA d. Simon Curtis, 2022 (20 to 26 MAY).
- LA PISCINE aka The Swimming Pool d. Jacques Deray, 1969 (26 MAY 18:00).
GASPAR NOÉ at Genesis Cinema
- IRREVERSIBLE d. Gaspar Noé, 2002 + Intro/Salon with Nick Walker presented by The Cult Classic Collective (26 MAY 18:25).
RETURN OF THE OUTSIDER: THE FILMS OF MIKE HODGES at BFI Southbank
- Work In Progress Preview: ALL AT SEA d. Mike Hodges, 2022 (26 MAY 18:10 – FREE!).
ROBERT EGGERS at The Prince Charles
- THE LIGHTHOUSE d. Robert Eggers, 2019 (26 MAY 18:00).
- THE NORTHMAN d. Robert Eggers, 2022 (26 MAY 20:45).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- DONNIE DARKO (26 MAY 21:00).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- GET OUT (26 MAY 21:00).
- Beyond Words French Literature Festival (16 to 22 MAY).
- BFI & Radio Times Television Festival (20 to 22 MAY).
- Odyssey: A Chinese Cinema Season (10 MAY to 10 JUNE).
- Queer East Film Festival (18 to 29 MAY).
- Sci-Fi London (19 to 22 MAY).
BENEDICTION dir. Terence Davies, 2021:
- Also 20 to 26 MAY (various dates/times): A-HA: THE MOVIE d. Thomas Robsahm, 2021 at: ICA // BROTHERHOOD d. Francesco Montagner, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // DIVAS d. Máté Kőrösi, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // EMERGENCY d. Carey Williams, 2022 at: Barbican / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema // LUX ÆTERNA d. Gaspar Noé, 2019 at: ICA // THE ROAD DANCE d. Richie Adams, 2021 at: Chiswick Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Brixton Community Cinema presents THE LITTLE GIRL WHO SOLD THE SUN at Brixton Village (02 DEC 2022).
- Cinema of Ideas presents ‘Repetition as Differentiation via LATIFAH AND HIMLI’S NOMADIC UNCLE’ curated by Jemma Desai (online 05 to 20 DEC 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
- The Social Cinema presents FRAMEBURN at Hackney Brewery & High Hill Taproom (08 SEP to 08 DEC 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.