THURSDAY 26 AUGUST 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
LET THE RIGHT ONE IN d. Tomas Alfredson, 2009 + Intro/Salon with Nick Walker presented by the Cult Classic Collective at Genesis Cinema (26 AUG 18:15).
- “When Oskar, a sensitive, bullied 12-year-old boy living with his mother in suburban Sweden, meets his new neighbour, the mysterious and moody Eli, they strike up a friendship. Initially reserved with each other, Oskar and Eli slowly form a close bond, but it soon becomes apparent that she is no ordinary young girl. Eventually, Eli shares her dark, macabre secret with Oskar, revealing her connection to a string of bloody local murders.”
- A SUMMER’S TALE 35MM aka Conte d’été d. Éric Rohmer, 1996 at The Prince Charles (26 AUG 15:15).
- BYE BYE MORONS aka Adieu les cons d. Albert Dupontel, 2020 at Ciné Lumière (26 AUG 18:15).
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS aka Chung Hing sam lam d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 at Picturehouse Cinemas (daily 20 to 26 AUG various).
- CINEMA PARADISO 4K aka Nuovo Cinema Paradiso d. Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988 at BFI (26 AUG 14:30).
- DARK VICTORY d. Edmund Goulding, 1939 at BFI (26 AUG 18:20).
- DR TERROR’S HOUSE OF HORRORS d. Freddie Francis, 1965 at BFI Southbank (26 AUG 20:40).
- JOSEE, THE TIGER AND THE FISH d. Kôtarô Tamura, 2020 at The Prince Charles (26 AUG 13:30 – SUB).
- LES DEMOISELLES DE ROCHEFORT 35MM aka The Young Ladies of Rochefort, d. Jacques Demy , 1967 at BFI (26 AUG 17:40).
- LET THE RIGHT ONE IN d. Tomas Alfredson, 2009 + Intro/Salon with Nick Walker presented by the Cult Classic Collective at Genesis Cinema (26 AUG 18:15).
- THE MISSION d. Roland Joffé, 1986 at BFI (26 AUG 18:00).
- NOW, VOYAGER d. Irving Rapper, 1942 at BFI (daily until 26 AUG various times).
- THE ORPHANAGE aka Parwareshghah d. Shahrbanoo Sadat, 2019 at ICA (26 AUG 20:50).
- THE PIANO TEACHER 35MM d. Michael Haneke, 2001 at Genesis Cinema (26 AUG 20:50).
- THE PRINCE OF NOTHINGWOOD d. Sonia Kronlund, 2021 at ICA (26 AUG 18:40).
- PULP FICTION 16MM d. Quentin Tarantino, 1994 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (26 AUG 19:30).
- Surprise Film at Picturehouse Cinemas (26 Aug various).
- TWO-LANE BLACKTOP d. Monte Hellman, 1971 at ICA (26 AUG 16:15).
- UNDER THE VOLCANO d. Gracie Otto, 2021 + Q&A with music producer Chris Kimsey at Olympic Studios (26 AUG 20:20).
- THE WHALES OF AUGUST d. Lindsay Anderson, 1987 at BFI (26 AUG 20:30).
- GREASE d. Randal Kleiser, 1978 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (26 AUG 20:00).
- Instructions for the Future a programme of artist films & audio works at Barbican Sculpture Court (26 AUG 20:30).
- MAGIC MIKE d. Steven Soderbergh, 2012 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (26 AUG 20:00).
- MAMMA MIA! d. Phyllida Lloyd, 2008 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (26 AUG 17:45).
- Short Film Night at Film & Food Fest South London at Beckenham Place Park (26 AUG 18:00).
- TOP GUN d. Tony Scott, 1986 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (26 AUG 20:30).
A SONG CALLED HATE d. Anna Hildur Hildibrandsdóttir, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse (daily 20 to 26 AUG).
- Also (20 to 26 AUG various dates/times): NEW ORDER aka Nuevo orden d. Michel Franco, 2020 at ArtHouse Crouch End / The Castle Cinema / Ciné Lumière (from 25 AUG) / ICA // THE NIGHT HOUSE d. David Bruckner, 2020 at Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema // SABAYA d. Hogir Hirori, 2021 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Picturehouse Cinemas // UNDERGROUND aka Souterrain d. Sophie Dupuis, 2020 at Curzon Cinemas.
- Zodiac Film Club x Final Girls Berlin present Sci-Fi Shorts at The Castle Cinema (24 AUG 2022)
- Bermondsey Project Space presents Loops + Q&A (13 AUG 2022)
- Crap Film Club presents THE SWORD AND THE CLAW at The Old Queen’s Head (22 AUG 2022)
- Queer Horror Nights presents POSSESSOR at The Castle Cinema (19 AUG 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.