THURSDAY 27 MAY 2021 (A–Z) // Films screening in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
- THE 8TH d. Aideen Kane, Lucy Kennedy & Maeve O’Boyle, 2020 at The Castle Cinema (27 MAY 16:30).
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70MM ‘unrestored version’ d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 at The Prince Charles (27 MAY 12:00).
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 at Picturehouse Central (27 MAY 14:50).
- AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 at The Prince Charles (27 MAY 21:00 – SUB).
- BACK TO THE FUTURE d. Robert Zemeckis, 1985 at Backyard Cinema (27 MAY 16:00).
- COUNTY LINES d. Henry Blake, 2019 at BFI Southbank (27 MAY 20:45).
- DEMON SLAYER: MUGEN TRAIN d. Haruo Sotozaki, 2020 at Genesis Cinema (27 MAY 18:15).
- DEMON SLAYER: MUGEN TRAIN d. Haruo Sotozaki, 2020 at BFI IMAX (27 MAY 20:30).
- DEMON SLAYER: MUGEN TRAIN d. Haruo Sotozaki, 2020 at Picturehouse (27 MAY various venues).
- DR STRANGELOVE 16MM d. Stanley Kubrick, 1964 presented by Ciné-Real 16MM Film Club at The Castle Cinema (27 MAY 19:30 / 30 MAY 13:30 – our featured attraction of the week!).
- ERASERHEAD 4K d. David Lynch, 1976 at BFI Southbank (27 MAY 18:20).
- THE GLEANERS & I aka Les glaneurs et la glaneuse d. Agnès Varda, 2000 + Pre-recorded intro by director Zhu Shengze at BFI Southbank (27 MAY 18:15).
- GODZILLA VS KONG d. Adam Wingard, 2021 at Backyard Cinema (27 MAY 20:00).
- THE LONG GOODBYE d. Robert Altman, 1973 at BFI Southbank (27 MAY 20:50).
- MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM d. George C. Wolfe, 2020 at The Lexi Cinema (27 MAY 15:30).
- MY DONKEY, MY LOVER & I aka Antoinette dans les Cévennes d. Caroline Vignal, 2020 at Ciné Lumière (27 MAY 20:35).
- PITCH PERFECT d. Jason Moore, 2012 at Backyard Cinema (27 MAY 16:30).
- QUEEN & SLIM d. Melina Matsoukas, 2019 at Picturehouse Central (27 MAY 15:15).
- SIR ALEX FERGUSON: NEVER GIVE IN d. Jason Ferguson, 2021 + Recorded Q&A with Sir Alex and Jason Ferguson at Everyman Muswell Hill (27 MAY 19:30).
- TALE OF SPRINGTIME aka Conte de printemps 35MM d. Éric Rohmer, 1989 at The Prince Charles (27 MAY 18:00).
- WEST SIDE STORY d. Jerome Robbins, Robert Wise, 1961 at Backyard Cinema (27 MAY 20:30).
- THE BEACH d. Danny Boyle, 2000 at Drive In Film Club at Alexandra Palace (27 MAY 21:00).
- DIRTY DANCING d. Emile Ardolino, 1987 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (27 MAY 21:00).
- FERRIS BUELLER’S DAY OFF: OPEN CAPTIONS d. John Hughes, 1986 at Drive In Film Club at Alexandra Palace (27 MAY 18:00).
- MORTAL KOMBAT d. Simon McQuoid, 2021 at The Drive In at Troubadour Meridian Water (27 MAY 21:30).
- PULP FICTION d. Quentin Tarantino, 1994 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (27 MAY 21:00).
- UNHINGED d. Derrick Borte, 2020 at The Drive In at Troubadour Meridian Water (27 MAY 19:00).
- Chronic Youth Film Festival (01 APR to 03 JUN)
- Kinoteka: The 19th Polish Film Festival (06 MAY to 04 JUN 2021)
- UK Asian Film Festival (26 MAY to 06 JUN). READ MORE
WINGS OF DESIRE d. Wim Wenders, 1987 at Picturehouse Central (daily until 27 MAY).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
- Tony Paley presents his “greatest films of all time” at Close-Up Film Centre (from 03 FEB 2023).
- Irish Film London presents the St Brigid’s Day Film Festival at Rio Cinema, Riverside Studios & online (03 to 05 FEB 2023).
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.