THURSDAY 28 OCTOBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
BLEAK MOMENTS d. Mike Leigh, 1971 (28 OCT 18:00) followed by Mike Leigh in Conversation at BFI (28 OCT 20:40) / Part of MIKE LEIGH.
- BLEAK MOMENTS: “This remarkable first feature film was based on Leigh’s own stage play. It was, said Leigh, about ‘my own loneliness, a lament for lost sexual opportunities, a celebration of the alternative sub-culture.’ There is a sad, Chekhovian atmosphere, a memorably depressing scene in a Chinese restaurant, and acting that makes you cringe (in a good way) with embarrassment. Albert Finney helped fund the film.”
- IN CONVERSATION: “As we celebrate the extensive career of Mike Leigh, here’s a unique chance for you to hear the director reflect upon his body of work for film and television, the ensemble teams he employed both in front of and behind the camera, and his thoughts for the future as he plans his next film.”
- Tickets £15, concs £12 (Members pay £2 less). Joint ticket available: £20, concs £16 (Members pay £2 less); joint tickets must be booked via box office on 020 7928 3232 or in person.
- 2040 d. Damon Gameau, 2019 at Bertha DocHouse (28 OCT 13:45).
- ANATOMY OF WINGS d. Kirsten D’Andrea Hollander & Nikiea Redmond, 2020 + Recorded Q&A at BFI Southbank (28 OCT 18:15).
- THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE d. Dario Argento, 1970 at The Prince Charles (28 OCT 18:30).
- BLEAK MOMENTS d. Mike Leigh, 1971 at BFI (28 OCT 18:00).
- CANDYMAN d. Nia DaCosta, 2021 + PANEL presented by The New Black Collective at Stratford East Picturehouse (28 OCT 20:00 – FREE!/Booking essential).
- CARRIE d. Brian De Palma, 1976 at The Prince Charles (28 OCT 16:00).
- CASINO ROYALE 35mm d. John Huston, 1967 at Ciné Lumière (28 OCT 20:10).
- DARLING 35mm d. John Schlesinger, 1965 at BFI (28 OCT 20:30).
- DEAD PRESIDENTS d. Albert Hughes & Allen Hughes, 1995 presented by Black Ink Cinema at The Castle Cinema (28 OCT 21:00).
- DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS d. Carl Franklin, 1995 at BFI (28 OCT 20:50).
- DONNIE DARKO d. Richard Kelly, 2001 at The Prince Charles (28 OCT 13:15).
- EPISODE 1 d. Renzo Martens, 2003 at ICA (28 OCT 17:20).
- HIGH HOPES d. Mike Leigh, 1998 at BFI (28 OCT 14:30).
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE 4K aka Fa yeung nin wah d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 at BFI (28 OCT 18:10).
- JIMI HENDRIX IN MAUI d. John McDermott at Olympic Studios (28 OCT 20:30).
- THE MERMAID d. Stephen Chow, 2016 + Discussion presented by Lau China Institute at King’s College London (28 OCT 18:30).
- Mike Leigh in Conversation at BFI (28 OCT 20:40).
- QUANT d. Sadie Frost, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Picturehouse Fulham Road (28 OCT 19:00).
- THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW d. Jim Sharman, 1975 at Rivoli Ballroom (28 OCT 20:00).
- THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW d. Jim Sharman, 1975 at Backyard Cinema (28 OCT 20:00).
- THE SECRET OF SINCHANEE d. Steven Grayhm, 2020 at Genesis Cinema (28 OCT 20:30) / Part of SCREAMDANCE at Raindance Film Festival.
- SUMMER OF SOUL d. Questlove, 2021 at The David Lean (28 OCT 14:30 & 19:30).
- THE WITCHES d. Robert Zemeckis, 2020 at Rivoli Ballroom (28 OCT 17:00).
- Brazil Indigenous Film Festival (22 to 24 OCT).
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (28 OCT to 14 NOV).
- London East Asia Film Festival (21 to 31 OCT).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 OCT to 20 NOV).
- Raindance Film Festival (27 OCT to 06 NOV).
- Sci-Fi-London 21 (19 to 24 OCT).
- Short Com Film Festival (28 OCT 20:30).
DUNE d. Denis Villeneuve, 2021.
- Various venues, inc: Barbican / BFI IMAX / The Castle / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Kino Digital / The Lexi / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Regent Street Cinema / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
SCREAM 35mm d. Wes Craven, 1996.
- Also (22 to 28 OCT various dates/times): PLAYLIST d. Nine Antico, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas // SMOG TOWN d. Meng Han, 2019 at: Bertha DocHouse // WHITE CUBE d. Renzo Martens, 2020 at: ICA.
- Ryan Ninesling presents HUMAN RESOURCES at Close-Up & Genesis Cinema (03 to 14 DEC 2021).
- Musical Sunday presents THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL at The Cinema Museum (05 DEC 2021).
- Double Wonderful presents Video Expert 1 at Venue MOT Unit 18 (07 DEC 2021).
- The Care-fuffle Collective presents REPEATED APPARITIONS at The Horse Hospital (18 NOV to 16 DEC 2021).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.