THURSDAY 30 JUNE 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
BROWN GIRL BEGINS d. Sharon Lewis, 2019 + Recorded intro by the director (30 JUN 18:20) / Part of JOURNEYS ACROSS AFRO-FUTURISM at Barbican.
“Director Sharon Lewis actively constructs an Afro-Futurist fable, following Ti-Jeanne, who finds herself trapped in an unfamiliar, sinister world against her will. Reluctantly pressed into taking a stand, Ti-Jeanne must use her powers as a priestess to resurrect distant Caribbean spirits to save her people, while attempting to survive the possession ritual that killed her mother.”
“The film is an adaptation of sorts of Brown Girl in the Ring, a 1998 novel by Jamaican-Canadian writer Nalo Hopkinson. The novel contains Afro-Caribbean culture with themes of folklore and magical realism, which are transposed into Brown Girl Begins. The film becomes a prequel to the novel, re-imagining the book’s reflections on seer traditions and obeah: a system of spiritual healing and justice-making practices developed among enslaved West Africans.” (Barbican)
- BETWEEN TWO WORLDS d. Emmanuel Carrère, 2021 at The David Lean (30 JUN 14:30 & 19:30).
- FOX IN A HOLE d. Arash T. Riahi, 2020 at Austrian Cultural Forum (30 JUN 19:00 – FREE!).
- MAZEL TOV d. Eli Zuzovsky + Q&A with the writer-director for Pride Month at JW3 (30 JUN 19:30).
- SIDEWAYS d. Alexander Payne, 2004 presented by Sydenham Film Club at The Sydenham Centre (30 JUN 19:30).
- SUSPIRIA d. Dario Argento, 1977 + Intro/Salon with Nick Walker presented by Cult Classic Collective at Genesis Cinema (30 JUN 18:30).
- VOYAGERS d. Has San, 2018 + Q&A with the director at Imperial Cinema (30 JUN 18:45).
Check venues for full listings…
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AFTER BRESSON… at BFI Southbank
- THIEF d. Michael Mann, 1981 (30 JUN 20:30).
COLLECTIVE MOBILISATION at ICA
- Três Realizadoras Portuguesas short film programme (24 to 30 JUN).
- A PLEASURE, COMRADES! aka Prazer, Camaradas! d. José Filipe Costa, 2019 + Q&A with the director (30 JUN 18:20).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up
- STALKER d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979 (30 JUN 20:00).
JOURNEYS ACROSS AFRO-FUTURISM at Barbican
- BROWN GIRL BEGINS d. Sharon Lewis, 2019 + Recorded intro by the director (30 JUN 18:20).
OF SIN & SALVATION: THE CINEMA OF ROBERT BRESSON at BFI Southbank
- Re-releases: PICKPOCKET d. Robert Bresson, 1959 (03 JUN to 30 JUN various).
RAINER WERNER FASSBINDER at The Prince Charles
- THE MERCHANT OF FOUR SEASONS aka Händler der vier Jahreszeiten d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1972 (30 JUN 12:45).
SEASCAPES: OUR OCEANS ON SCREEN at Ciné Lumière
- BECOMING COUSTEAU d. Liz Garbus, 2021 (30 JUN 18:15).
SUMMER OF SCI-FI at The Castle Cinema
- PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE 16mm d. Ed Wood, 1957 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club (30 JUN 19:30).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (30 JUN 13:00).
- HAPPY TOGETHER d. Wong Kar Wai, 1997 (30 JUN 18:00 – 4K).
- FALLEN ANGELS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1995 (30 JUN 21:00).
- The Hornet Student Film Festival (26 JUN).
- London Bengali Film Festival (21 to 26 JUN).
- London Indian Film Festival (23 JUN to 05 JUL).
- ‘Queer’ Asia Film Festival – London (25 JUN to 26 JUN).
- RAFT Festival (10 JUN to 08 JUL).
- Sohome Horror Pride 2022 (24 to 26 JUN – online).
- Sunday Shorts Film Festival (26 JUN).
- Windrush Caribbean Film Festival (17 JUN to 17 JUL).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- ROCKETMAN: SING-A-LONG (30 JUN 21:15).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW (30 JUN 21:30).
- Also 24 to 30 JUN (various dates/times): THE BIG HIT aka Un Triomphe d. Emmanuel Courcol, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas // CHILDREN OF THE ENEMY d. Gorki Glaser-Muller, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // WINGS OF DESIRE 4K Restoration aka Der Himmel über Berlin d. Wim Wenders, 1987 at: BFI / Curzon Cinemas / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Zodiac Film Club x Final Girls Berlin present Sci-Fi Shorts at The Castle Cinema (24 AUG 2022)
- Bermondsey Project Space presents Loops + Q&A (13 AUG 2022)
- Crap Film Club presents THE SWORD AND THE CLAW at The Old Queen’s Head (22 AUG 2022)
- Queer Horror Nights presents POSSESSOR at The Castle Cinema (19 AUG 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.