TUESDAY 07 JUNE 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE ASTHENIC SYNDROME dir Kira Muratova, 1989 + Intro by Dr Elena Gorfinkel presented by Oliver Dickens at Rio Cinema (07 JUNE 18:15).
“A distraught widow who has just buried her husband is about to destroy everything and everybody, but mainly herself. An exhausted man tries to find an escape from his daily chaos and routine in perpetual sleep. While their paths don’t really cross, the film implies they both suffer from the titular syndrome—a weakness, enervation, fatigue that is equally concrete and allegorical.”
“Muratova’s most celebrated film, the epic THE ASTHENIC SYNDROME was winner of the Silver Bear at the 1990 Berlinale and brought her international acclaim. The film has been called a magnificent fresco and an apocalypse. Muratova created vivid images of desperate characters determined to endure, capturing and divining the state of the USSR on the eve of its collapse. A searing portrait of individual malaise and collective apathy, with polyphonic elements and absurdist tableaus, the film stuns the viewer with shock therapy, destroying every illusion.” – Elena Gorfinkel
Followed by: THE LONG FAREWELL dir Kira Muratova, 1971 + Intro by Dr Elena Gorfinkel at Ciné Lumière (14 JUN 18:30).
- ALL MY FRIENDS HATE ME d. Andrew Gaynord, 2021 + Q&A with Tom Palmer & Tom Stourton at Genesis Cinema (07 JUN 18:20).
- Ukraine Fundraiser: THE ASTHENIC SYNDROME d. Kira Muratova, 1989 + Intro by Dr Elena Gorfinkel presented by Oliver Dickens at Rio Cinema (07 JUN 18:15).
- THE BIG LEBOWSKI d. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 1998 at The Prince Charles (07 JUN 15:30).
- DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA d. Simon Curtis, 2022 at The David Lean (07 JUN 14:30 / 09 JUN 14:30 & 19:30).
- Film Talks Live: IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING – Expanded Cinema & Sonics at Cafe Oto (07 JUN 20:00).
- FIREBIRD d. Peeter Rebane, 2021 + Recorded Q&A at Riverside Studios (07 JUN 17:45 – Pay What You Can).
- THE FORTUNE COOKIE d. Billy Wilder, 1966 presented by Tufnell park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (07 JUN 20:00).
- THE HOLY MOUNTAIN d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1973 at The Prince Charles (07 JUN 12:20 / 09 JUN 17:55).
- IL BUCO d. Michelangelo Frammartino, 2021 at Picturehouse Cinemas (07 JUN various).
- NIGHTMARE ALLEY d. Guillermo del Toro, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (07 JUN 20:00 / 08 JUN 20:00 / 12 JUN 17:00).
- THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER d. Charles Laughton, 1955 at The Garden Cinema (07 JUN 20:00 / 08 JUN 14:00).
- PSYCHO: 4K Restoration/Uncut d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1960 at Olympic Studios (07 JUN 20:15).
- VAMPYR d. Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1932 at ICA (07 JUN 14:30).
- WE ARE d. Eugene Kotlyarenko, 2021 presented by Deeper Into Movies at TT Liquor Store (07 JUN 19:30 – FREE!).
- WILD MEN d. Thomas Daneskov, 2021 at The David Lean (07 JUN 19:30).
- WOT NO ART? d. Christopher Mason, 1978 + Intro by BFI National Archive Curator Steve Foxon at BFI Southbank (07 JUN 18:30).
Check venues for full listings…
BERNARD SHAW ON FILM at Sands Films Cinema Club
- YOU NEVER CAN TELL d. James Cellan Jones, 1977 (07 JUN 20:00).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- LOST ILLUSIONS aka Les Illusions perdues d. Xavier Giannoli, 2021 (07 JUN 20:10).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AFTER BRESSON… at BFI Southbank
- THIEF d. Michael Mann, 1981 (07 JUN 20:30).
CELEBRATING ANNA MAGNANI at The Garden Cinema
- ROME, OPEN CITY d. Roberto Rossellini, 1945 (07 JUN 15:15).
CELEBRATING FILM NOIR at The Garden Cinema
- OUT OF THE PAST d. Jacques Tourneur, 1947 (07 JUN 18:00).
JOURNEYS ACROSS AFRO-FUTURISM at Barbican
- MADE IN AMERICA d. Shirley Clarke, 1985 (07 JUN 18:30).
JUDY GARLAND: A STAR IS REBORN at BFI Southbank
- THE CLOCK 35mm (aka Under The Clock) d. Vincente Minnelli, 1945 (07 JUN 18:10).
LONG-ASS MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- SWEET CHARITY d. Bob Fosse, 1969 (07 JUN 20:15 – 4K – 150mins).
OF SIN & SALVATION: THE CINEMA OF ROBERT BRESSON at BFI Southbank
- AU HASARD BALTHAZAR 4K Restoration d. Robert Bresson, 1966 (07 JUN 20:45).
- Talks: Style, Anti-style and Influence: Robert Bresson Re-assessed season intro (07 JUN 18:20).
- Re-releases: PICKPOCKET d. Robert Bresson, 1959 (03 JUN to 30 JUN various).
RAINER WERNER FASSBINDER at The Prince Charles
- LOVE IS COLDER THAN DEATH aka Liebe ist kälter als der Tod d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1969 (07 JUN 18:10 – £1 Members’ Film).
RETURN OF THE OUTSIDER: THE FILMS OF MIKE HODGES at BFI Southbank
- Re-releases: GET CARTER 4K Restoration d. Mike Hodges, 1971 (until 09 JUN).
- Re-releases: GET CARTER 4K Restoration d. Mike Hodges, 1971 + Intro by Jah Wobble (07 JUN 20:40).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (07 JUN 21:00).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- DRIVE 2011 (07 JUN 21:15).
THE CAMERA IS OURS: BRITAIN’S WOMEN DOCUMENTARY MAKERS d. Marion Grierson, Ruby Grierson, Brigid ‘Budge’ Cooper, Kay Mander & Sarah Erulkar, 1935-67:
- Various venues, inc: ICA
LUCHADORAS d. Paola Calvo & Patrick Jasim, 2021:
- Various venues, inc: Bertha DocHouse
- Also 03 to 09 JUN (various dates/times): DASHCAM d. Rob Savage, 2021 at: The Prince Charles // ELIZABETH: A PORTRAIT IN PART(S) d. Roger Michell, 2022 + Recorded Q&A at: Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios // LANCASTER d. David Fairhead & Anthony Palmer, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / Olympic Studios / Regent Street Cinema // MEN d. Alex Garland, 2022 at: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema // OLGA d. Elie Grappe, 2022 at: Riverside Studios // PICKPOCKET d. Robert Bresson, 1959 at: BFI / Ciné Lumière / ICA.
- Bohemia Media presents REBEL DYKES at The Apple Tree (03 JUL 2022)
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE PSYCHO SEQUELS at The Cinema Museum (24 JUL 2022)
- Create Hong Kong & Focus Hong Kong present Making Waves – Navigators of Hong Kong Cinema (08 to 10 JUL 2022)
- Crap Film Club presents TAMMY AND THE T-REX at The Old Queens Head (14 JUL 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.