TUESDAY 08 FEBRUARY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
TOMBOY d. Céline Sciamma, 2011 + Short: BEAUTIFUL d. Emma Frayne-Ford + Intro presented by Wimbledon Film Club & Free2B for LGBT History Month at Curzon Wimbledon (08 FEB 20:30).
“When a family moves to a new neighbourhood during summer break, the 10-year-old, named Laure, presents as a boy named Mikhael to the local children. Screened in partnership with the South London youth charity Free2B. With an introduction by the Mayor of Merton.”
- DUNE d. Denis Villeneuve, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (08 FEB 20:00 / 09 FEB 20:00 / 13 FEB 17:00).
- THE ELECTRICAL LIFE OF LOUIS WAIN d. Will Sharpe, 2021 at The David Lean (08 FEB 14:30 & 19:30 / 09 FEB 19:30).
- FLEE d. Jonas Poher Rasmussen, 2021 at Picturehouse Cinemas (08 FEB various).
- HOSTILE d. Sonita Gale, 2021 + Q&A with the director at The Lexi Cinema (08 FEB 18:15).
- IN A LONELY PLACE d. Nicholas Ray, 1950 presented by Twickenham Cinema Club at The Venue, Heatham House TW1 (08 FEB 19:00).
- Projecting the Archive: JURY’S EVIDENCE 35mm d. Ralph Ince, 1936 + Intro by writer Ming Ho at BFI Southbank (08 FEB 18:30).
- MEMORIA d. Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2021 + Recorded Q&A with Tilda Swinton at Olympic Studios (08 FEB 20:10 / 10 FEB 13:00).
- NIGHTMARE ALLEY: VISIONS OF DARKNESS AND LIGHT d. Guillermo del Toro, 2021 at Chiswick Cinema (08 FEB 19:10 / 10 FEB 19:15).
- PAPER MOON d. Peter Bogdanovich, 1973 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club in tribute to Peter Bogdanovich at The Lord Palmerston (08 FEB 20:00).
- Simulacra – Sculpting Our Time: A Showcase Of Moving Images #1 at The Prince Charles (08 FEB 12:00).
- Simulacra – Sculpting Our Time: A Showcase Of Moving Images #2 at The Prince Charles (08 FEB 14:00).
- TAMBIÉN LA LLUVIA aka Even The Rain d. Icíar Bollaín, 2010 + Tapas presented by Spanish Marks at India Club Lounge-Bar (08 FEB 19:00).
- TOMBOY d. Céline Sciamma, 2011 + Short: BEAUTIFUL d. Emma Frayne-Ford + Intro presented by Wimbledon Film Club & Free2B for LGBT History Month at Curzon Wimbledon (08 FEB 20:30).
- VG High-Score + s01e03 d. Kurt Walker, 2020 playlist programme presented by Double Wonderful at Venue MOT Unit 18 (08 FEB 19:30).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LAST NIGHT IN SOHO 35mm d. Edgar Wright, 2021 (from 06 to 17 FEB various).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BELLE aka Ryû to sobakasu no hime d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2021 (04 to 17 FEB various); AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 (08 FEB 20:35).
- See also STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER.
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: LGBT HISTORY MONTH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): HAPPY TOGETHER 4K aka Chun gwong cha sit d. Wong Kar Wai, 1997 + Intro by Yi Wang, Queer East (08 FEB 18:15); MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO d. Gus Van Sant, 1991 (08 FEB 20:45).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT: FOR THE LOVE OF FILMS at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): The Hitchcock Truffaut: THE WOMAN NEXT DOOR aka La Femme d’à côté d. François Truffaut, 1981 (08 FEB 20:30). Re-release: JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 (04 to 17 FEB various).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT REVISITED at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 (04 to 11 FEB various); THE WOMAN NEXT DOOR aka La Femme d’à côté d. François Truffaut, 1981 (08 FEB 20:15).
- Includes (check venue for full listings): AFTER THE APOLOGY d. Larissa Behrendt, 2017 + Virtual Introduction by the director (08 FEB 18:30).
JULIA DUCOURNAU at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): TITANE d. Julia Ducournau, 2021 (04 to 17 FEB various).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): LAPUTA: CASTLE IN THE SKY d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1986 (from 05 FEB).
THREE FROM STEVE MCQUEEN at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): SHAME d. Steve McQueen, 2011 (08 FEB 18:10 – £1 Members’ Screening).
- Includes (check venue for listings): ARISTOCRATS d. Yukiko Sode, 2021 (08 FEB 18:15); LIFE: UNTITLED d. Kana Yamada, 2019 (08 FEB 20:55).
- London International Mime Festival (25 JAN to 05 FEB).
- Syrian Arts & Cultural Festival (20 JAN to 04 FEB).
- Also 04 to 10 FEB (various dates/times): JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 at: BFI / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas // KISS ME KOSHER d. Shirel Peleg, 2020 at: JW3 (from 10 FEB) // LINGUI, THE SACRED BONDS d. Mahamat-Saleh Haroun, 2021 at: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / ICA // NIGHTMARE ALLEY: VISIONS OF DARKNESS AND LIGHT d. Guillermo del Toro, 2021 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // THE ROSSELINIS d. Alessandro Rossellini, 2020 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
- Crap Film Club presents ONE MAN FORCE at The Old Queens Head (03 OCT 2022)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.