TUESDAY 10 JANUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
MYSTERY TRAIN d. Jim Jarmusch, 1989 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (10 JAN 20:00).
“Jim Jarmusch’s cult favourite takes its title from Junior Parker’s 1953 r n b classic (later immortalised by Elvis in 1955). A seedy hotel in Memphis, Tennessee, provides the backdrop for three separate tales, featuring everything from a kitsch-obsessed Japanese couple (Masatoshi Nagase, Yûki Kudô) to a trio of amateur robbers (Joe Strummer, Rick Aviles, Steve Buscemi) who discover the true nature of their relationship during a botched heist. Linking the stories together is the hotel’s eccentric and creepy night clerk (Screamin’ Jay Hawkins) as well as the spirit of Elvis Presley. With all the quirk and cool you’d expect from 1980s Jarmusch, this is a true American indie gem.” (TPFC)
- EVERYTHING WENT FINE d. François Ozon, 2021 presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (10 JAN 20:00).
- GERMINAL d. Claude Berri, 1993 presented in-venue & online by Sands Films Cine Club at Sands Films Studios (10 JAN 19:30 – Donation requested!).
- MYSTERY TRAIN d. Jim Jarmusch, 1989 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (10 JAN 20:00).
- OCCUPIED a BBC Eye Investigation at Frontline Club (10 JAN 19:00).
- OFFICIAL COMPETITION aka Competencia oficial d. Mariano Cohn & Gastón Duprat, 2021 presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon Wimbledon (10 JAN 20:30).
- RETURN TO DUST d. Ruijun Li, 2022 at The David Lean (10 JAN 19:30).
- RRR d. S. S. Rajamouli, 2022 at The Prince Charles (10 JAN 19:45).
- Monsters In The Mouse House: Walt Disney Studios And The Horror Genre talk by Jay Bamber, presented by The Miskatonic Institute Of Horror Studies at The Horse Hospital (10 JAN 19:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2022 (until 22 JAN).
- DECISION TO LEAVE 35mm aka Heojil Kyolshim d. Park Chan-wook, 2022 (10 JAN 12:00).
- KOYAANISQATSI: LIFE OUT OF BALANCE 35mm d. Godfrey Reggio, 1982 (10 JAN 17:40).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 19 JAN).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Society: SCANDAL 35mm aka Shûbun d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (10 JAN 17:45); NO REGRETS FOR OUR YOUTH 35mm aka Waga Seishun ni Kuinashi d. Akira Kurosawa, 1946 (10 JAN 20:40).
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (06 to 31 JAN).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles (Not listed elsewhere!)
- DUCK SOUP d. Leo McCarey, 1933 (10 JAN 15:45).
BEST OF 2022 at Bertha DocHouse
- ASCENSION d. Jessica Kingdon, 2020 (10 JAN 16:10).
- THE VELVET QUEEN: SNOW LEOPARD d. Marie Amiguet & Vincent Munier, 2021 (10 JAN 20:30).
CELEBRATING JACK NICHOLSON at The Garden Cinema
- THE WITCHES OF EASTWICKd. George Miller, 1987 (10 JAN 17:45).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- THE HOLY MOUNTAIN d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1973 (10 JAN 13:00).
‘I PURPLE U’ at The Prince Charles
- YUNI d. Kamila Andini, 2021 (10 JAN 18:00).
- Curated by Heeyeon Park in partnership with NFTS.
JEAN-LUC GODARD: PERSPECTIVES at Ciné Lumière
- PIERROT LE FOU d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1965 (10 JAN 18:15).
MARK JENKIN’S THE CINEMATIC DNA OF ENYS MEN at BFI Southbank
- LONG WEEKEND + BETWEEN THE TIDES 35mm ds. Colin Eggleston, 1978 + Ralph Keene, 1959 (10 JAN 18:20).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 88= THE SHINING d. Stanley Kubrick, 1980 (10 JAN 20:10).
STAFF PICKS at The Garden Cinema
- ALI: FEAR EATS THE SOUL d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1974 (10 JAN 16:00).
THROWBACK SEASON at Everyman Cinemas
- FORREST GUMP d. Robert Zemeckis, 1994 (10 JAN various).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- AS TEARS GO BY d. Wong Kar Wai, 1988 (10 JAN 20:30).
- COMING SOON: London Short Film Festival (20 to 29 JAN).
EMPIRE OF LIGHT dir Sam Mendes, 2023
- Various venues, inc (from 09 JAN): ArtHouse Crouch End / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Power Station / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
- From 35mm (various dates): BFI / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas.
Also 06 to 12 JAN (various dates / times / venues):
- CROWS ARE WHITE d. Ahsen Nadeem, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- HONG KONG FAMILY d. TSANG Hing Weng, 2022 at: Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles.
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.