TUESDAY 13 SEPTEMBER 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
FLUX GOURMET + Short: BLANK NARCISSUS d. Peter Strickland, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Curzon Soho (13 SEP 18:00).
FLUX GOURMET: “Welcome to the Sonic Catering Institute, a creative retreat for artists whose work occupies a place somewhere between avant-garde music and outré cuisine. Run by the eccentric Jan Stevens (Gwendoline Christie, Game of Thrones), the three-week workshop is playing host to a three-piece outfit comprising the severe and unbending Elle di Elle (Strickland regular Fatma Mohamed), the troubled Lamina Propria (Ariane Labed, The Souvenir, The Lobster) and Jan’s soon-to-be lover Billy Rubin (Asa Butterfield, Sex Education). Their journey at the institute is documented by photographer Stones (Makis Papadimitriou, Suntan), whose digestive troubles are as turbulent as the creations his subjects are producing. But relations between the bandmembers are deteriorating quicker than the concoctions they conjure up, their host’s psyche is unravelling and the in-house doctor’s obsession with classical texts is driving everyone to distraction.” (Curzon)
BLANK NARCISSUS: “A UK short film drama in which the director of gay male adult films in the 1970s provides an audio commentary over one of his productions.” (BBFC)
- ALL IN! 35mm d. Marcel Varnel, 1936 + Intro by film historian Mark Newell at BFI Southbank (13 SEP 18:20).
- A TRIBUTE TO JORDAN + PUNK & THE PISTOLS with special guests presented by Heavenly Films at Rio Cinema (13 SEP 18:30).
- CLERKS III d. Kevin Smith, 2022 previews at Picturehouse Cinemas (13 SEP various).
- CLERKS III d. Kevin Smith, 2022 previews at The Prince Charles (13 SEP 13:30 & 18:10 HOH / 14 SEP 13:15 HOH & 17:55 / 15 SEP 18:00).
- FLUX GOURMET + Short: BLANK NARCISSUS d. Peter Strickland, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Curzon Soho (13 SEP 18:00).
- HER WAY d. Cécile Ducrocq, 2021 at The David Lean (13 SEP 19:30).
- HERR TARTÜFF d. F.W. Murnau, 1925 presented in-venue & online by Sands Films Cinema Club at Sands Films Studios (13 SEP 20:00 – Donation requested).
- THE HITCH-HIKER d. Ida Lupino, 1953 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (13 SEP 20:00).
- OPERATION MINCEMEAT d. John Madden, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (13 SEP 20:00 / 14 SEP 20:00 / 18 SEP 17:00).
- Architecture on Film: RIOTSVILLE USA d. Sierra Pettengil, 2022 + Virtual Q&A with the director at Barbican (13 SEP 20:30).
- STRAWBERRY MANSION d. Kentucker Audley & Albert Birney, 2021 preview presented by Deeper Into Movies at TT Liquor (13 SEP 19:30 – FREE!).
- VIDEODROME 35mm d. David Cronenberg, 1983 at ICA (13 SEP 21:30).
- WHEN I SAY AFRICA d. Cassandra Herrman, 2022 + Panel discussion ‘Interrogating enduring stereotypes of Africa’ at Frontline Club (13 SEP 19:00).
- An Exploration of the Evolution of the Monstrous-Feminine with Bruna Foletto Lucas presented by The Miskatonic Institute of Horror Studies at The Horse Hospital (13 SEP 19:00).
- Life In The Woods: Unbuilding the World – A conversation with Half-Earth Socialism authors Drew Pendergrass and Troy Vettese online event as part of ICO – THE CINEMA OF IDEAS with No Planet (13 SEP 18:30).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- THE KILLING OF A CHINESE BOOKIE 35mm d. John Cassavetes, 1974 (13 SEP 15:55).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- BRAHMÃSTRA PART ONE: SHIVA d. Ayan Mukerji, 2022 (09 to 15 SEP).
- JAWS d. Steven Spielberg, 1975 (09 to 15 SEP).
BADASS B-MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- TREASURE OF THE NINJA d. William Lee, 1987 (13 SEP 20:45 – £1 Members’ Film).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FATEFUL MOMENTS IN TIME! at BFI Southbank
- CLEO FROM 5 TO 7 aka Cléo de 5 à 7 d. Agnès Varda, 1962 (13 SEP 14:30).
- WILD STRAWBERRIES aka Smultronstället d. Ingmar Bergman, 1957 (13 SEP 18:10).
- THE ENIGMA OF KASPAR HAUSER aka Jeder für sich und Gott gegen alle d. Werner Herzog, 1974 (13 SEP 20:30).
CELEBRATING FILM NOIR at The Garden Cinema
- THE THIRD MAN d. Carol Reed, 1949 (13 SEP 15:50).
- IT ALWAYS RAINS ON SUNDAY d. Robert Hamer, 1947 (13 SEP 20:30).
COLLECTIVE MOBILISATION at ICA
- DRY GROUND BURNING aka Mato seco em chamas d. Adirley Queirós & Joana Pimenta, 2022 (until 15 SEP).
MIKE LEIGH IN CONVERSATION at The Garden Cinema
- SECRETS & LIES d. Mike Leigh, 1996 + Mike Leigh in conversation (13 SEP 18:30).
- THE SHIRANUI SEA 16mm d. Tsuchimoto Noriaki, 1975 + Intro by Ricardo Matos Cabo (13 SEP 18:30).
- Everyman Music Film Festival (01 to 30 SEP).
- Open City Documentary Festival (07 to 13 SEP).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (08 to 18 SEP).
- Portobello Film Festival (01 to 18 SEP).
- Wild Indie Sci-fi & Fantasy Film Festival (10 SEP).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE (13 SEP 19:45).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- MEAN GIRLS (13 SEP 19:45).
- Also 09 to 15 SEP (various dates/times): BOTH SIDES OF THE BLADE aka Avec amour et acharnement d. Claire Denis, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas // HALLELUJAH: LEONARD COHEN, A JOURNEY, A SONG d. Daniel Geller & Dayna Goldfine, 2021 at: JW3 (from 11 SEP) // I USED TO BE FAMOUS d. Eddie Sternberg, 2022 at: Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex // JAWS 3D d. Steven Spielberg, 1975 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // ONE DAY IN UKRAINE d. Volodymyr Tykhyy, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse // RIDE THE WAVE d. Martyn Robertson, 2021 at: ICA // THE SCORE d. Malachi Smyth, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas // WHO WE ARE d. Marc Bauder, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- BIG BOYS DON’T CRY + Q&A raising funds for NAPAC at Everyman Borough Yards (03 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.