TUESDAY 14 JUNE 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Ukraine Fundraiser: THE LONG FAREWELL dir Kira Muratova, 1971 + Intro by Dr Elena Gorfinkel presented by Oliver Dickens at Ciné Lumière (14 JUN 18:30).
“Ostensibly the story of the strained relationship between a divorced translator and her teenaged son, who would rather live with his father in Siberia, THE LONG FAREWELL’s “almost unbearable tension… is explored in a series of fluid, inventive sequences, which … show Muratova [to be] streets ahead of her male contemporaries” (Ian Christie).”
“Completed in 1971 and promptly shelved by censors for sixteen years, Muratova’s important early feature, scripted by prominent feminist Natalya Ryazantseva, was deemed too aesthetic, personal and elitist by Soviet authorities and got her disqualified from directing at Odessa Film Studio. Heralded as a lost masterpiece when finally released in 1987, this simple tale of maternal jealousy and filial rebellion is transformed by Muratova into a thrillingly odd drama full of visual sophistication, exquisite camerawork, and quietly stunning piano score by Oleg Karavaichuk.”
- AFTER LOVE d. Aleem Khan, 2020 presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon Wimbledon (14 JUN 20:30).
- ALL MY FRIENDS HATE ME d. Andrew Gaynord, 2021 + Q&A with Tom Palmer & Tom Stourton at Riverside Studios (14 JUN 17:45).
- BLACK SUNDAY aka La Maschera Del Demonio d. Mario Bava, 1960 presented by Mondo Nights at Avalon Cafe (14 JUN 20:00).
- BLADE RUNNER d. Ridley Scott, 1982 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (14 JUN 20:00).
- COME AND SEE aka Idi i smotri d. Elem Klimov, 1985 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (14 JUN 19:30).
- CYRANO d. Joe Wright, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (14 JUN 20:00).
- LE QUATTRO VOLTE 35mm d. Michelangelo Frammartino, 2010 at ICA (14 JUN 16:30).
- Ukraine Fundraiser: THE LONG FAREWELL dir Kira Muratova, 1971 + Intro by Dr Elena Gorfinkel presented by Oliver Dickens at Ciné Lumière (14 JUN 18:30).
- OPERATION MINCEMEAT d. John Madden, 2021 at The David Lean (14 JUN 19:30).
- PLEASURE d. Ninja Thyberg, 2021 presented by Dazed x MUBI Cinema Club at The Garden Cinema (14 JUN 18:30).
- SHIVA BABY d. Emma Seligman, 2020 at The Prince Charles (14 JUN 18:00).
- TAMPOPO d. Jûzô Itami, 1985 at The Prince Charles (14 JUN 21:00 – 4K).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- CELINE AND JULIE GO BOATING 35mm aka Céline et Julie vont en bateau d. Jacques Rivette, 1974 (14 JUN 20:00).
ALFRED HITCHCOCK IN 4K at The Prince Charles
- PSYCHO d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1960 (14 JUN 15:30 – 4K).
BERNARD SHAW ON FILM at Sands Films Cinema Club
- ANDROCLES AND THE LION d. Chester Erskine, 1952 (14 JUN 20:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AFTER BRESSON… at BFI Southbank
- THE SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE aka El espíritu de la colmena d. Víctor Erice, 1973 (14 JUN 20:45).
CELEBRATING ANNA MAGNANI at The Garden Cinema
- THE ROSE TATTOO d. Daniel Mann, 1955 (14 JUN 16:00).
- ROME, OPEN CITY d. Roberto Rossellini, 1945 (14 JUN 20:30).
CELEBRATING FILM NOIR at The Garden Cinema
- THE MALTESE FALCON d. John Huston, 1941 (14 JUN 18:20).
JOURNEYS ACROSS AFRO-FUTURISM at Barbican
- RATNIK d. Dimeji Ajibola, 2020 + Intro by the director (14 JUN 18:20).
JUDY GARLAND: A STAR IS REBORN at BFI Southbank
- FOR ME AND MY GAL 35mm d. Busby Berkeley, 1942 (14 JUN 18:10).
LONG-ASS MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- CELINE AND JULIE GO BOATING 35mm aka Céline et Julie vont en bateau d. Jacques Rivette, 1974 (14 JUN 20:00 – 190mins).
MORRICONE at Picturehouse Cinemas
- THE BATTLE OF ALGIERS d. Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966 (14 JUN various).
OF SIN & SALVATION: THE CINEMA OF ROBERT BRESSON at BFI Southbank
- Re-releases: PICKPOCKET d. Robert Bresson, 1959 (03 JUN to 30 JUN various).
RETURN OF THE OUTSIDER: THE FILMS OF MIKE HODGES at BFI Southbank
- Re-releases: GET CARTER d. Mike Hodges, 1971 (14 JUN 18:15).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (14 JUN 18:35 – 4K).
- Barnes Film Festival (16 to 22 JUN).
- Odyssey: A Chinese Cinema Season (10 MAY to 10 JUNE).
- Riverside Pride Film Festival (10 to 15 JUN).
- Sundance Film Festival: London (09 to 12 JUN).
- The Wave: Italian Women Filmmakers (15 to 19 JUN – Featured attraction of the month!).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- BLACK PANTHER + Q&A with RIBA (14 JUN 21:15).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- THE GREATEST SHOWMAN (14 JUN 21:15).
- Also 10 to 16 JUN (various dates/times): IN BALANCHINE’S CLASSROOM d. Connie Hochman, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // JACK’S RIDE aka No táxi do Jack d. Susana Nobre, 2021 at: ICA // LEAVE NO TRACES aka Zeby nie bylo sladów d. Jan P. Matuszynski, 2021 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Watermans // SWAN SONG d. Todd Stephens, 2021 at: Barbican / BFI / Curzon Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios.
- Brixton Community Cinema presents THE LITTLE GIRL WHO SOLD THE SUN at Brixton Village (02 DEC 2022).
- Cinema of Ideas presents ‘Repetition as Differentiation via LATIFAH AND HIMLI’S NOMADIC UNCLE’ curated by Jemma Desai (online 05 to 20 DEC 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
- The Social Cinema presents FRAMEBURN at Hackney Brewery & High Hill Taproom (08 SEP to 08 DEC 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.