TUESDAY 15 FEBRUARY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
YI YI d. Edward Yang, 2000 (15 FEB 20:10) / Part of TWO BY EDWARD YANG at The Prince Charles.
“The extraordinary, internationally embraced YI YI (A One and a Two . . .), directed by the late Taiwanese master Edward Yang, follows a middle-class family in Taipei over the course of one year, beginning with a wedding and ending with a funeral. Whether chronicling middle-age father NJ’s tentative flirtations with an old flame or precocious young son Yang-Yang’s attempts at capturing reality with his beloved camera, the filmmaker deftly imbues every gorgeous frame with a compassionate clarity. Warm, sprawling, and dazzling, this intimate epic is one of the undisputed masterworks of the new century.” (The Prince Charles)
- ELLIE & ABBIE (& ELLIE’S DEAD AUNT) d. Monica Zanetti, 2020 at Whirled Cinema (15 FEB 20:00 / 16 FEB 20:00 / 20 FEB 17:00).
- LA MIF aka The Fam d. Fred Baillif, 2021 at Picturehouse Cinemas (15 FEB various / 17 FEB various).
- LICORICE PIZZA d. Paul Thomas Anderson at The David Lean (15 FEB 19:30).
- LOVE YOURSELF TODAY d. Ross Killeen, 2021 + Q&A with the director & Damien Dempsey presented by Irish Film London at Kiln Cinema (15 FEB 19:00).
- OTHER, LIKE ME d. Marcus Werner Hed & Dan Fox, 2020 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (15 FEB 19:30).
- PITFALL d. André De Toth, 1948 at Fontaine’s Bar (15 FEB 20:30 – FREE!).
- THE SET-UP d. Robert Wise, 1949 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (15 FEB 20:00).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LAST NIGHT IN SOHO 35mm d. Edgar Wright, 2021 (until 17 FEB various); TRUE STORIES 35mm d. David Byrne, 1986 (15 FEB 18:00).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm & 70mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 03 MAR various).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: LGBT HISTORY MONTH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE d. Stephen Frears, 1985 (15 FEB 20:45).
EXPERIMENTA FOCUS: STEPHEN DWOSKIN at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BALLET BLACK 16mm d. Stephen Dwoskin, 1986 + discussion with Jacqueline Boatswain and Colin Charles (15 FEB 18:10).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT: FOR THE LOVE OF FILMS at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): The Literary Truffaut: THE GREEN ROOM aka La Chambre verte d. François Truffaut, 1978 (15 FEB 20:40). Re-release: JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 (04 to 17 FEB various).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT REVISITED at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): FINALLY SUNDAY! aka Vivement dimanche! d. François Truffaut, 1983 (15 FEB 18:15).
JULIA DUCOURNAU at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): TITANE d. Julia Ducournau, 2021 (15 FEB 12:35).
LOVE STORIES at Genesis Cinema
- Includes (check venue for listings): JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 (15 FEB 21:00).
SOVIET SIXTIES: A TURNING POINT IN CINEMA at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for listings): NINE DAYS IN ONE YEAR d. Mikhail Romm, 1962 (15 FEB 18:00).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): KIKI’S DELIVERY SERVICE d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1989 (from 12 FEB).
TWO BY EDWARD YANG at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): YI YI d. Edward Yang, 2000 (15 FEB 20:10).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (15 FEB 18:20).
We’ve got nothing… what did we miss?
- Also 11 to 17 FEB (various dates/times): DOWNFALL: THE CASE AGAINST BOEING d. Rory Kennedy, 2022 at: Everyman Broadgate // THE FORGOTTEN ONES d. Michale Boganim, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // THE POWER OF THE DOG 35mm d. Jane Campion, 2021 at: The Prince Charles (from 17 FEB to 03 MAR).
- Oliver Dickens presents two films by Kira Muratova to raise funds for Ukraine at Rio Cinema & Ciné Lumière (07 & 14 JUN 2022).
- Lost Vampires presents BILLY THE KID AND THE GREEN BAIZE VAMPIRE 35mm + Q&A with Phil Daniels at The Prince Charles (27 JUN 2022).
- Science Fiction Theatre returns with three sci-fi classics this summer at The Castle Cinema (10 JUN to 12 AUG 2022).
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE FLY at The Castle Cinema (24 JUN 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.