TUESDAY 22 MARCH 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
BIRDMAN: OR (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE) d. Alejandro G. Iñárritu, 2014 (22 MAR 20:55) / Part of ONE & DONE at Genesis Cinema.
“Inspired by your love for BOILING POINT, we’re showing some of our favourite (real and appearing as) one-take films. This technique adopts or gives an impression of continuity, of one long take with one camera, never breaking from filming. The filmmakers we chose to feature in this season approached it in various, playful ways, which we want you to experience on the big screen! In BIRDMAN, a washed-up superhero actor attempts to revive his fading career by writing, directing, and starring in a Broadway production.” (Genesis Cinema)
- BREATHLESS aka À bout de souffle d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1960 + Q&A with film historian Peter Evans presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon Wimbledon (22 MAR 20:30).
- THE GODFATHER: 50TH ANNIVERSARY SCREENING d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1972 at The Cinema In The Arches (22 MAR 18:10).
- HOSTILE d. Sonita Gale, 2021 + Q&A with the director hosted by Gurinder Chadha at ArtHouse Crouch End (22 MAR 19:45).
- LEAVE NO TRACES aka Zeby nie bylo sladów d. Jan P. Matuszynski, 2021 in-venue screening + online discussion with Michael Brooke at Watermans (22 MAR 19:00 + 23 MAR 20:00).
- THE NOVICE d. Lauren Hadaway, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Genesis Cinema (22 MAR 18:10).
- Ukraine Fundraiser: OLGA d. Elie Grappe, 2022 at Catford Mews (22 MAR 12:45 / 24 MAR 21:00).
- OXIDE GHOSTS: THE BRASS EYE TAPES + Q&A with director Michael Cumming at Chiswick Cinema (22 MAR 18:10 & 20:30).
- PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN d. Emarald Fennell, 2020 at Whirled Cinema (22 MAR 20:00 / 23 MAR 20:00 / 27 MAR 17:00).
- SILENT RUNNING d. Douglas Trumbull, 1972 screened in tribute to Douglas Trumbull by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (22 MAR 20:00).
- SOUTH: SIR ERNEST SHACKLETON’S GLORIOUS EPIC OF THE ANTARCTIC d. Frank Hurley, 2019 at Olympic Studios (22 MAR 14:45).
- THE SOUVENIR PART II d. Joanna Hogg, 2021 at The David Lean (22 MAR 14:30 & 19:30 / 23 MAR 19:30).
- THRESHOLD aka Limiar d. Coraci Ruiz, 2020 raising funds for CasaNem presented by Cine Brazil at Glass House London (22 MAR 19:00).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 04 APR various); THE MUMMY: DOUBLE FEATURE 35mm (22 MAR 18:15).
1982 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL d. Steven Spielberg, 1982 (22 MAR 15:35).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BELLE aka Ryû to sobakasu no hime d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2021 (22 MAR 12:30).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): PARIS 13TH DISTRICT aka Les Olympiades d. Jacques Audiard, 2021 (18 to 31 MAR various).
BRENDAN FRASER at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE MUMMY: DOUBLE FEATURE 35mm (22 MAR 18:15).
GENERATION AFRICA at Bertha DocHouse
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE LAST SHELTER d. Ousmane Samassekou, 2021 (MAR 20:20); MAKONGO d. Elvis Sabin Ngaibino, 2020 (22 MAR 18:20).
MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): THE MUMMY: DOUBLE FEATURE 35mm (22 MAR 18:15).
ONE AND DONE at Genesis Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BIRDMAN d. Alejandro G. Iñárritu, 2014 (22 MAR 20:55).
- Includes (check venue for listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 04 APR various).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): ONLY YESTERDAY d. Isao Takahata, 1991 (from 19 MAR); WHISPER OF THE HEART d. Yoshifumi Kondô, 1995 (from 19 MAR).
- The Banff Mountain Film Festival (14 to 25 MAR).
- BFI Flare (16 to 27 MAR).
- Essay Film Festival (19 MAR to 23 APR).
- Hong Kong Film Festival (19 to 27 MAR).
- Human Rights Watch Film Festival (17 to 25 MAR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 03 APR).
- London Short Film Festival: Award Winners (19 & 20 MAR).
- Mois de la Francophonie (MAR).
- Oska Bright Film Festival (19 & 21 MAR).
- Also 18 to 24 MAR (various dates/times): EUROPA d. Haider Rashid, 2021 at: ICA // HIVE aka Zgjoi d. Blerta Basholi, 2021 at: ActOne Cinema / Barbican / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas // LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 at: ICA / Prince Charles Cinema // RIVER d. Jennifer Peedom, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Picturehouse Cinemas // SIN LA HABANA d. Kaveh Nabatian, 2021 at: JW3 (from 20 MAR) // THREE FLOORS d. Nanni Moretti, 2021 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / JW3 // X d. Ti West, 2022 at: Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
- Tony Paley presents his “greatest films of all time” at Close-Up Film Centre (from 03 FEB 2023).
- Irish Film London presents the St Brigid’s Day Film Festival at Rio Cinema, Riverside Studios & online (03 to 05 FEB 2023).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.