TUESDAY 24 JANUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
JANUARY d. Andrey Paounov, 2021 UK Premiere + Q&A with the director & writer Alex Barrett, presented by New East Cinema at Barbican (24 JAN 18:05).
“A group of men are waiting for Petar Motorov in a pub near an abandoned hotel. The horse footsteps and the tracks from Motorov’s sleigh are still visible, which means that he must have left a few hours ago. Soon, the horses and the sleigh return, carrying Petar Motorov’s coat, his gun, and a dead frozen wolf.”
“Coming from documentary, director Andrey Paounov debuts in fiction with January, an adaptation of Yordan Radichkov’s 1974 short story of the same name. Paounov’s vision merges Bulgaria’s postsocialist legacy with that of global film history, offering a cinematic return to Radichkov’s once vibrant village – today an abandoned area long deprived of life.” (New East Cinema)
- JANUARY d. Andrey Paounov, 2021 UK Premiere + Q&A with the director & writer Alex Barrett, presented by New East Cinema at Barbican (24 JAN 18:05).
- THE LAST TREE d. Shola Amoo, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (24 JAN 20:00 / 25 JAN 20:00 / 29 JAN 17:00).
- PLEX SHORTS [DOCS] short film programme at Peckhamplex (24 JAN 20:30).
- QUO VADIS, AIDA? d. Jasmila Žbanić, 2020 presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (24 JAN 20:00).
- ROMY AND MICHELE’S HIGH SCHOOL REUNION d. David Markin, 1997 presented by Jellied Reels at The Castle Cinema (24 JAN 18:45).
- THE TASTE OF TEA d. Katsuhito Ishii, 2004 presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon Wimbledon (24 JAN 20:30).
- THREE MINUTES: A LENGTHENING d. Biana Stigter, 2021 at The David Lean (24 JAN 19:30).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- KES 35mm d. Ken Loach, 1969 (24 JAN 13:00).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 02 FEB).
- BABYLON d. Damien Chazelle, 2023 (until 26 JAN).
- SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022: 84= BLUE VELVET d. David Lynch, 1986 (24 JAN 21:00).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Talks & Events: SCANDAL 35mm aka Shûbun d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 + Intro by season curator Ian Haydn Smith (24 JAN 18:10).
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (06 to 31 JAN).
BEST OF 2022 at Bertha DocHouse
- MOONAGE DAYDREAM d. Brett Morgen, 2022 (24 JAN 15:30).
CELEBRATING JACK NICHOLSON at The Garden Cinema
- ABOUT SCHMIDT d. Alexander Payne, 2002 (24 JAN 18:00).
CHAZELLE SEASON at Genesis Cinema
- BABYLON d. Damien Chazelle, 2023 (20 to 26 JAN).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- COME AND SEE d. Elem Klimov, 1985 (24 JAN 20:40).
‘I PURPLE U’ at The Prince Charles
- PURPLE RAIN d. Albert Magnoli, 1984 (24 JAN 18:00).
- Curated by Heeyeon Park in partnership with NFTS.
MARK JENKIN’S THE CINEMATIC DNA OF ENYS MEN at BFI Southbank
- TWO YEARS AT SEA 35mm + A PORTRAIT OF GA 16mm ds. Ben Rivers, 2011 + Margaret Tait, 1952 (24 JAN 20:45).
- Releases: ENYS MEN d. Mark Jenkins, 2022 (13 to 31 JAN).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 67= THE RED SHOES d. Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1948 (24 JAN 18:05).
- BFI IMAX: 84= BLUE VELVET d. David Lynch, 1986 (24 JAN 21:00).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (24 JAN 18:10).
THROWBACK SEASON at Everyman Cinemas
- THE KING’S SPEECH d. Tom Hooper, 2010 (24 JAN various).
TRINTIGNANT: THE NON-CONFORMIST at Ciné Lumière
- THE CONFORMIST aka Il conformista d. Bernardo Bertolucci, 1970 (24 JAN 18:15).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (24 JAN 15:35 – 4K).
- London Short Film Festival (20 to 29 JAN).
BABYLON dir Damien Chazelle, 2022
Also 20 to 26 JAN (various dates/times):
- ALICE DARLING d. Mary Nighy, 2022 at: Peckhamplex / Rio Cinema
- HIDE & SEEK aka Nascondino d. Victoria Fiore, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse
- MORE THAN EVER aka Plus que jamais d. Emily Atef, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / ICA
- SKINAMARINK d. Kyle Edward Ball, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- THE SUBSTITUTE d. Diego Lerman, 2023 + Recorded Q&A with the director at: Picturehouse Cinemas.
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.