TUESDAY 24 MAY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
B*A*P*S d. Robert Townsend, 1997 presented by Pinc x Black Ink Cinema at The Castle Cinema (24 MAY 18:45).
“We’re excited to host this female buddy comedy film starring Halle Berry and Natalie Desselle, full of fun, laughter and eccentric outfits! Nisi and Mickey are two Black American Princesses – or B.A.P.S. for short – who are Hollywood-bound and determined to star in a music video. Instead, they’re roped into a scam concocted by the nephew of the video’s director.” (Pinc)
Pinc presents you an opportunity to revel in the joy of camp cinema (as well as some of our own guilty pleasures along the way!). BLACK INK CINEMA is an inclusive space where all movie lovers can come and celebrate Black Cinema from old to new releases, while sparking insightful conversations.
- B*A*P*S d. Robert Townsend, 1997 presented by Pinc x Black Ink Cinema at The Castle Cinema (24 MAY 18:45).
- CHARLEY VARRICK d. Don Siegel, 1973 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (24 MAY 20:00).
- COMPARTMENT NO 6 d. Juho Kuosmanen, 2021 at The David Lean (24 MAY 19:30).
- DELICATESSEN d. Jean-Pierre Jeunet & Marc Caro, 1991 at The Prince Charles (24 MAY 13:00).
- GRASS d. Merian C. Cooper & Ernest Schoedsack, 1925 presented in-venue & online by Sands Films Cinema Club at Sands Films Studios (24 MAY 20:00).
- HANDS ON A HARDBODY d. S.R. Bindler, 1997 at The Garden Cinema (24 MAY 15:20).
- THE INTOUCHABLES aka Untouchable d. Olivier Nakache & Éric Toledano, 2011 presented by Film Whitton at Whitton Library (24 MAY 19:30).
- MINUTE SHORTS X BIFA: BRITISH TALENT TELLING GLOBAL STORIES short film programme + Live performance & Panel discussion at Genesis Cinema (24 MAY 18:30).
- RŪRANGI d. Max Currie, 2020 at Whirled Cinema (24 MAY 20:00).
- TAMPOPO d. Jûzô Itami, 1985 at The Prince Charles (24 MAY 15:30).
Check venues for full listings…
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- INTERSTELLAR 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (24 MAY 20:00).
ANIME at BFI Southbank
- MEMORIES aka Memorîzud. Kôji Morimoto, Tensai Okamura & Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1995 (24 MAY 20:40).
BARBRA STREISAND STRAND [A STREIS-STRAND, IF YOU WILL] at The Prince Charles
- WHAT’S UP DOC? d. Peter Bogdanovich, 1972 (24 MAY 18:25).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- A FAREWELL TO ARMS d. Frank Borzage, 1932 (24 MAY 20:50).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- VAMPYR d. Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1932 (24 MAY 18:00).
CELEBRATING SIDNEY POITIER at The Garden Cinema
- TO SIR, WITH LOVE d. James Clavell, 1967 (24 MAY 18:00).
- CRY, THE BELOVED COUNTRY d. Zoltán Korda, 1951 (24 MAY 20:15).
CRUEL FLESH: FILMS OF THE NEW FRENCH EXTREMITY at BFI Southbank
- TROUBLE EVERY DAY 35mm d. Claire Denis, 2001 (24 MAY 20:45).
- Talks etc: Horror à la Française recorded panel discussion (online 11 to 31 MAY).
- Releases: VORTEX d. Gaspar Noé, 2021 (13 to 26 MAY).
#EXPLOREFRANCE – CÔTE D’AZUR at Ciné Lumière
- DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA d. Simon Curtis, 2022 (20 to 26 MAY).
- BY THE FRENCH RIVIERA: ICONIC SHORT FILMS + Intro by Dr Ros Murray (24 MAY 18:40).
GASPAR NOÉ at Genesis Cinema
- VORTEX d. Gaspar Noé, 2021 (24 MAY 15:55 & 20:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU (24 MAY 21:00).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- THE GREATEST SHOWMAN (24 MAY 21:00).
- Beyond Words French Literature Festival (16 to 22 MAY).
- BFI & Radio Times Television Festival (20 to 22 MAY).
- Odyssey: A Chinese Cinema Season (10 MAY to 10 JUNE).
- Queer East Film Festival (18 to 29 MAY).
- Sci-Fi London (19 to 22 MAY).
BENEDICTION dir. Terence Davies, 2021:
- Also 20 to 26 MAY (various dates/times): A-HA: THE MOVIE d. Thomas Robsahm, 2021 at: ICA // BROTHERHOOD d. Francesco Montagner, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // DIVAS d. Máté Kőrösi, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // EMERGENCY d. Carey Williams, 2022 at: Barbican / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema // LUX ÆTERNA d. Gaspar Noé, 2019 at: ICA // THE ROAD DANCE d. Richie Adams, 2021 at: Chiswick Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Bohemia Media presents REBEL DYKES at The Apple Tree (03 JUL 2022)
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE PSYCHO SEQUELS at The Cinema Museum (24 JUL 2022)
- Create Hong Kong & Focus Hong Kong present Making Waves – Navigators of Hong Kong Cinema (08 to 10 JUL 2022)
- Crap Film Club presents TAMMY AND THE T-REX at The Old Queens Head (14 JUL 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.