TUESDAY 31 JANUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
EVENT HORIZON d. Paul W.S. Anderson, 1997 + Live panel discussion with Journey Through Sci-Fi podcast, presented by Evolution of Horror at Genesis Cinema (31 JAN 18:20).
“Join The Evolution of Horror and special guests for a big screen presentation of Paul W.S. Anderson’s 1997 science fiction shocker EVENT HORIZON.”
“A rescue crew investigates a spaceship that disappeared into a black hole and has now returned… with someone or something new on-board.“
“The EOH team will be joined after the screening for a live panel discussion by James and Matt from the Journey Through Sci-Fi podcast. Plus there will be drinks and horror-fan mingling in BAR PARAGON before the film, including special themed cocktails.”
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 at The David Lean (31 JAN 19:30).
- DRIVE MY CAR d. Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (31 JAN 20:00 / 01 FEB 20:00 / 05 FEB 17:00).
- EVENT HORIZON d. Paul W.S. Anderson, 1997 + Live panel discussion with Journey Through Sci-Fi podcast, presented by Evolution of Horror at Genesis Cinema (31 JAN 18:20).
- FLASH GORDON d. Mike Hodges, 1980 in tribute to Mike Hodges (1932 – 2022), presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (31 JAN 20:00).
- LA BETE HUMAINE d. Jean Renoir, 1938 presented in-venue & online by Sands Films Cine Club at Sands Films Studios (31 JAN 20:00 – Donation requested).
- Movie Night with Minute Shorts short film programme at Dijonss E1 (31 JAN 19:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- DECISION TO LEAVE 35mm aka Heojil Kyolshim d. Park Chan-wook, 2022 (31 JAN 12:45).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 02 FEB).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Honour: SANJURO aka Tsubaki Sanjûrô d. Akira Kurosawa, 1962 (31 JAN 17:50).
- Social Status: KAGEMUSHA d. Akira Kurosawa, 1980 (31 JAN 19:35).
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (until 02 FEB).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles (Not listed elsewhere!)
- SUPERMAN d. Richard Donner, 1978 (31 JAN 15:00 – 4K/£1 Members Film).
CARL MAYER MINI SEASON at Ciné Lumière & Austrian Cultural Forum
- SUNRISE – A SONG OF TWO HUMANS d. F.W. Murnau, 1927 + Intro by Brigitte Mayr & Michael Omasta at Austrian Cultural Forum (31 JAN 19:00 – FREE!).
CELEBRATING JACK NICHOLSON at The Garden Cinema
- FIVE EASY PIECES d. Bob Rafelson, 1970 (31 JAN 15:15).
CHAZELLE SEASON at Genesis Cinema
- BABYLON d. Damien Chazelle, 2023 (until 02 FEB).
‘I PURPLE U’ at The Prince Charles
- THE HANDMAIDEN d. Park Chan-Wook, 2016 (31 JAN 20:20).
- Curated by Heeyeon Park in partnership with NFTS.
MARK JENKIN’S THE CINEMATIC DNA OF ENYS MEN at BFI Southbank
- BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO + WIND ds. Peter Strickland, 2012 + Bill Scott, 1999 (31 JAN 18:10).
- REQUIEM FOR A VILLAGE + THE SIGNALMAN ds. David Gladwell, 1975 + Lawrence Gordon Clark, 1976 (31 JAN 20:40).
- Releases: ENYS MEN d. Mark Jenkins, 2022 (until 02 FEB).
NOBODY DOES IT LIKE SAM PECKINPAH at The Prince Charles
- RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY aka Guns In The Afternoon d. Sam Peckinpah, 1962 (31 JAN 18:15).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 66 TOUKI-BOUKI d. Djibril Diop Mambéty, 1973 (31 JAN 17:40).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (31 JAN 15:45).
TRINTIGNANT: THE NON-CONFORMIST at Ciné Lumière
- THREE COLOURS: RED aka Trois couleurs: Rouge d. Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1994 (31 JAN 18:30).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (31 JAN 18:00).
- London Short Film Festival (20 to 29 JAN).
THE FABELMANS dir Steven Spielberg, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / JW3 / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Riverside Studios
Also 27 JAN to 02 FEB (various dates/times):
- JANUARY d. Andrey Paounov, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- SKINAMARINK d. Kyle Edward Ball, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.