WEDNESDAY: What’s on in London today [01/02/23]
WEDNESDAY 01 FEBRUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
South By South: LOSING GROUND d. Kathleen Collins, 1982 at South London Gallery (01 FEB 19:00).
“LOSING GROUND (1982) is the second film by director Kathleen Collins. The film tells the story of a marriage of two remarkable people, both at a crossroads in their lives. Sara Rogers, a black professor of philosophy, is embarking on an intellectual quest to understand ‘ecstasy’ just as her painter husband Victor sets off on a more earthy exploration of joy.”
“Celebrating a recent museum sale, Victor decides to rent a country house where he can return to more realism after years working as an abstract expressionist. Away from the city, the couple’s summer idyll becomes complicated by Sara’s research and by Victor’s involvement with a young model. When one of her students casts Sara as the woman scorned in a film version of the song Frankie and Johnny, she experiences a painful emotional awakening.” (South London Gallery)
- Pink Palace: THE CRYING GAME d. Neil Jordan, 1992 + Intro/discussion with Fringe! programmer, Jaye Hudson in the basement bar at Rio Cinema (01 FEB 20:00).
- Films from Iran for Iran: DREAM SILK + GUT FEELINGS: FRAGMENTS OF TRUTH ds. Nahid Reza, 2003 + Katayoun Jalilipour, 2021 at One And A Half (01 FEB 18:30).
- DRIVE MY CAR d. Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (01 FEB 20:00 / 05 FEB 17:00).
- THE FABELMANS d. Steven Spielberg, 2022 + Intro by Adrian Wootton at Barbican (01 FEB 20:15).
- South By South: LOSING GROUND d. Kathleen Collins, 1982 at South London Gallery (01 FEB 19:00).
- THE SUBSTITUTE d. Diego Lerman, 2022 + Recorded Q&A with the director at Picturehouse Crouch End (01 FEB 20:30).
- SUPER NATURAL d. Jorge Jácome, 2022 UK Premiere + Intro/Q&A with the artist at Tate Modern (01 FEB 18:30).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- RATATOUILLE 35mm d. Brad Bird, 2007 (01 FEB 12:30).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 02 FEB).
- BABYLON d. Damien Chazelle, 2023 (01 FEB 11:15).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (until 02 FEB).
ANNIVERSARY SEASON at Everyman Belsize Park
- LE MÉPRIS aka Contempt d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1963 (01 FEB 17:45).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles (Not listed elsewhere!)
- SUPERMAN d. Richard Donner, 1978 (01 FEB 20:45).
BAR TRASH: TRASH OR TREASURE? at Rule Zero & Genesis Cinema
- DAMNATION ALLEY d. Jack Smight, 1977 + Intro, intermission, themed drinks & prize giveaways at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon (01 FEB 20:30).
- Presented by Token Homo.
CELEBRATING JACK NICHOLSON at The Garden Cinema
- CHINATOWN d. Roman Polanski, 1974 (01 FEB 15:10).
CHAZELLE SEASON at Genesis Cinema
- BABYLON d. Damien Chazelle, 2023 (until 02 FEB).
MARK JENKIN’S THE CINEMATIC DNA OF ENYS MEN at BFI Southbank
- Releases: ENYS MEN d. Mark Jenkins, 2022 (until 02 FEB).
SCI-FI SELECTIONS at The Prince Charles
- EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE d. The Daniels, 2022 (01 FEB 15:00 – 4K).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 38=BREATHLESS aka À bout de souffle d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1960 (01 FEB 14:30).
- 54= LE MÉPRIS aka Contempt d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1963 (01 FEB 18:10).
- 60= DAUGHTERS OF THE DUST d. Julie Dash, 1991 (01 FEB 18:15).
- 59 SANS SOLEIL 35mm aka Sunless d. Chris Marker, 1982 (01 FEB 20:40).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (01 FEB 15:30).
- STORIES WE TELL d. Sarah Polley, 2012 (01 FEB 18:15).
STEVEN SPIELBERG FROM 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- SAVING PRIVATE RYAN 35mm d. Steven Spielberg, 1998 (01 FEB 10:30).
TRINTIGNANT: THE NON-CONFORMIST at Ciné Lumière
- Z aka Il est vivant d. Costa-Gavras, 1969 (01 FEB 18:00).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- FALLEN ANGELS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1995 (01 FEB 18:00 – 4K).
- London Short Film Festival (20 to 29 JAN).
ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED dir Laura Poitras, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / The Castle Cinema / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / Genesis Cinema / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema
THE FABELMANS dir Steven Spielberg, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / JW3 / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Riverside Studios
Also 27 JAN to 02 FEB (various dates/times):
- JANUARY d. Andrey Paounov, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- SKINAMARINK d. Kyle Edward Ball, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- Pushkin House presents WITNESSING HISTORY: FILMS BY SERGEI LOZNITSA at venues across London (02 to 10 JUN 2023)
- Exploding Cinema presents a night of short films at The Cinema Museum (10 JUN 2023).
- Saraband presents Queer Reflections on Horror + JENNIFER’S BODY at Rio Cinema (08 JUN 2023).
- Tibet Film Festival presents BALLOON in honour of Pema Tseden at Genesis Cinema (19 JUN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.