WEDNESDAY 11 JANUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
SIEGFRIED 16mm d. Fritz Lang, 1924 + Short: SUNKISSED 35mm d. Julia Vogl + Live piano accompaniment by Costas Fotopoulos, presented by Kennington Bioscope at The Cinema Museum (11 JAN 19:30).
“Siegfried (1924). 16mm print, German with English titles. The film has been praised for Carl Hoffman and Gunter Rittau’s ground-breaking cinematography, Otto Hunte’s spectacular set designs, Paul Gerd Guderian’s extraordinary costumes and Lang’s exceptional sense of framing and composition. Die Nibelungen: Siegfried is part one of The Nibelungs’ Saga, part two being Kriemhild’s Revenge. The screenplays for both films were co-written by Lang’s then-wife Thea von Harbou, based upon the epic poem Nibelungenlied written around 1200 AD. Die Nibelungen received its UK premiere at the Royal Albert Hall in London, where it played for 40 performances between 29 April and 20 June 1924. As a curtain raiser, we are very pleased to welcome back the American social sculptor and silkscreen artist Julia Vogl, now living in South London with her latest multi-coloured silent film.” (Kennington Bioscope).
- THE DRIVER 4K d. Walter Hill, 1978 at ICA (11 JAN 14:00).
- SIEGFRIED 16mm d. Fritz Lang, 1924 + Short: SUNKISSED 35mm d. Julia Vogl + Live piano accompaniment by Costas Fotopoulos, presented by Kennington Bioscope at The Cinema Museum (11 JAN 19:30).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2022 (until 22 JAN).
- DECISION TO LEAVE 35mm aka Heojil Kyolshim d. Park Chan-wook, 2022 (11 JAN 20:45).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 19 JAN).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Social Status: THE MEN WHO TREAD ON THE TIGER’S TALE 35mm aka ora no O Fumu Otokotachi d. Akira Kurosawa, 1945 (11 JAN 17:55); KAGEMUSHA d. Akira Kurosawa, 1980 (11 JAN 19:35).
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (06 to 31 JAN).
BEST OF 2022 at Bertha DocHouse
- THE VELVET QUEEN: SNOW LEOPARD d. Marie Amiguet & Vincent Munier, 2021 (11 JAN 14:00).
- ASCENSION d. Jessica Kingdon, 2020 (11 JAN 18:10).
CELEBRATING JACK NICHOLSON at The Garden Cinema
- FIVE EASY PIECES d. Bob Rafelson, 1970 (11 JAN 20:00).
- ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST d. Milos Forman, 1975 (11 JAN 15:00).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- McCABE & MRS MILLER d. Robert Altman, 1971 (11 JAN 20:30 – 4K).
MARK JENKIN’S THE CINEMATIC DNA OF ENYS MEN at BFI Southbank
- PENDA’S FEN + A WARNING TO THE CURIOUS ds. Alan Clarke, 1974 + Lawrence Gordon Clark, 1972 (11 JAN 17:50).
SCI-FI SELECTIONS at The Prince Charles
- ALIEN [Theatrical Cut] d. Ridley Scott, 1979 (11 JAN 12:00).
- ALIENS [Director’s Cut] d. James Cameron, 1986 (11 JAN 14:45).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 67= THE GLEANERS AND I aka Les glaneurs et la glaneuse + LA JETÉE ds. Agnès Varda, 2000 + Chris Marker, 1962 (11 JAN 20:30).
TRINTIGNANT: THE NON-CONFORMIST at Ciné Lumière
- ET DIEU CRÉA LA FEMME aka And God Created Woman d. Roger Vadim, 1956 (11 JAN 18:30 + Intro by Professor Ginette Vincendeau).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (11 JAN 18:15 – 4K).
- COMING SOON: London Short Film Festival (20 to 29 JAN).
EMPIRE OF LIGHT dir Sam Mendes, 2023
- Various venues, inc (from 09 JAN): ArtHouse Crouch End / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Power Station / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
- From 35mm (various dates): BFI / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas.
Also 06 to 12 JAN (various dates / times / venues):
- CROWS ARE WHITE d. Ahsen Nadeem, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- HONG KONG FAMILY d. TSANG Hing Weng, 2022 at: Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles.
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.