WEDNESDAY 11 MAY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Pink Palace: PINK NARCISSUS d. James Bidgood, 1971 bar screening & discussion at Rio Cinema (11 MAY 19:30 – £5!).
“Housed in the Rio basement bar and lounge, the Rio team will be presenting weekly queer cinema classics and docs with introduction talks and supporting shorts, art and performances. All tickets £5.”
“Our first screening is the 1971 classic PINK NARCISSUS, in tribute to its writer and director James Bidgood who died recently aged 88. With an introduction talk setting the context of the New York underground gay scene at the time and telling Bidgood’s epic passion project to create this film, shot mostly in his own apartment, created in an era of experimental film by contemporaries like Warhol and Anger. PINK NARCISSUS is both a homage to classic Hollywood and an erotic queer fantasy.” (Rio Cinema)
- Film Wallahs: ADIEU GODARD d. Amartya Bhattacharyya, 2021 + Intro at BFI Southbank (11 MAY 18:20).
- BELFAST d. Kenneth Branagh, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (11 MAY 20:00).
- BLOW UP d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1966 presented by Rebel Reel Cine Club outside Locket’s Wine Bar at Smithson Plaza, one of the original locations of the film (11 MAY 19:30 – Ticket includes a light supper & glass of wine).
- H IS FOR HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT d. Edwin Mingard, 2022 + Q&A presented by Chisenhale Gallery at Rio Cinema (11 MAY 17:30).
- MARIUPOLIS d. Mantas Kvedaravicius, 2016 in tribute to the director at Ciné Lumière (11 MAY 20:15).
- Pink Palace: PINK NARCISSUS d. James Bidgood, 1971 bar screening & discussion at Rio Cinema (11 MAY 19:30 – £5!).
- RIPTIDE d. Tim Barrow, 2020 + Q&A with the director for Mental Health Awareness Week at The Castle Cinema (11 MAY 18:30).
- Short Film Showcase at Peckhamplex (11 MAY 19:00).
- THIS MUCH I KNOW TO BE TRUE d. Andrew Dominik, 2021 at: ActOne Cinema (11 MAY 20:45); ArtHouse Crouch End (11 MAY 20:15); Barbican(11 MAY 20:25); Bertha DocHouse (11 MAY 20:30); The Castle Cinema (11 MAY 21:00); Catford Mews (11 MAY 19:00); Chiswick Cinema (11 MAY 20:30); The Cinema in the Arches (11 MAY 20:10); Curzon Cinemas (11 MAY various); Everyman Cinemas (11 MAY various); Genesis Cinema (11 MAY 21:00); ICA (11 to 15 MAY various); The Lexi Cinema (11 MAY 20:30); Olympic Cinema (11 MAY 20:40); Phoenix Cinema (11 MAY 20:45); Picturehouse Cinemas (11 MAY various); Rio Cinema (11 MAY 20:45); Riverside Studios (11 MAY 20:40).
- WHAT SHALL WE DO WITH THESE BUILDINGS? d. Jonathan Ben-Shaul, 2022 + Q&A with the director & participants at RIBA (11 MAY 18:00 – FREE!).
- Grace Ndiritu – An Absolute River opens at LUX Moving Image (11 MAY to 16 JUL). Opening Event – 11 MAY 19:00: Artist Grace Ndiritu in conversation with LUX Director, Benjamin Cook. The exhibition will be on view from 17:00-20:00. RSVP here.
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- THE WARRIORS 35mm d. Walter Hill, 1979 (11 MAY 21:00).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- BELLE aka Ryû to sobakasu no hime d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2021 (11 MAY 12:45).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- HAPPENING aka L’événement d. Audrey Diwan, 2021 (11 MAY 20:30).
- THE VELVET QUEEN aka La Panthère des neiges d. Marie Amiguet & Vincent Munier, 2021 (until 12 MAY various).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- STILL WALKING aka Aruitemo aruitemo d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2008 + Intro by Dr Alexander Jacoby, Senior Lecturer in Japanese Studies (11 MAY 17:50).
CELEBRATING SIDNEY POITIER at The Garden Cinema
- CRY, THE BELOVED COUNTRY d. Zoltán Korda, 1951 (11 MAY 20:40).
CRUEL FLESH: FILMS OF THE NEW FRENCH EXTREMITY at BFI Southbank
- Talks etc: Horror à la Française recorded panel discussion (online 11 to 31 MAY).
CULTITUDE at Catford Mews
- THE PRINCESS BRIDE d. Rob Reiner, 1987 (11 MAY 21:00).
GENESIS 23RD BIRTHDAY at Genesis Cinema
- BLADE RUNNER 2049 d. Denis Villeneuve, 2017 (11 MAY 20:20).
JOHN CARPENTER IN 4K at The Prince Charles
- THE FOG d. John Carpenter, 1980 (11 MAY 15:35 – 4K).
MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS WEEK at BFI Southbank
- GOLIATH – Playing with Reality: A Virtual Reality Installation at BFI Southbank (10 to 15 MAY).
- Playing with Reality + panel discussion at BFI Southbank (11 MAY 20:40).
NICHOLAS CAGE 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- CON AIR 35mm d. Simon West, 1997 (11 MAY 10:30).
RETURN OF THE OUTSIDER: THE FILMS OF MIKE HODGES at BFI Southbank
- PULP 35mm d. Mike Hodges, 1972 (11 MAY 20:50).
- Re-releases: CROUPIER d. Mike Hodges, 1998 (06 to 11 MAY various).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- JACKASS FOREVER (11 MAY 20:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (11 MAY 20:30).
- Frames Of Representation (05 to 12 MAY).
- Girls in Film Festival (06 to 08 MAY).
- In Short, Europe (07 MAY).
- Odyssey: A Chinese Cinema Season (10 MAY to 10 JUNE).
- UK Asian Film Festival (04 to 15 MAY 2022).
- Village Screen Film Week (10 to 15 MAY).
- Wondrous Stories Film Festival (06 to 08 MAY).
COME BACK ANYTIME dir. John Daschbach, 2021 at:
- Various venues, inc: Bertha DocHouse
- Also 06 to 12 MAY (various dates/times): ARICA d. Lars Edman, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // ATABI d. Niki Karimi, 2020 at: Ciné Lumière / Picturehouse Cinemas // ELEVEN DAYS IN MAY d. Mohammed Sawwaf & Michael Winterbottom, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / Picturehouse Cinemas // THE SWIMMER d. Adam Kalderon, 2021 at: ICA / JW3 // THIS MUCH I KNOW TO BE TRUE d. Andrew Dominik, 2021 at: ICA (from 11 MAY) // WAKE UP PUNK d. Nigel Askew, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Curzon Cinemas.
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.