WEDNESDAY 15 JUNE 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
CREATURE WITH THE ATOM BRAIN d. Edward L. Cahn, 1955 + Intro (15 JUN 20:30 – £1!) / Part of BAR TRASH at Genesis Cinema:
“Creature With The Atom Brain is a chilling science-fiction thriller from 1955 directed by Edward L. Cahn (Invasion Of The Hell Creatures) and penned by legendary screenwriter Curt Siodmak (Bride Of The Gorilla). A detective investigates a series of murders orchestrated by a mob boss and an ex-Nazi scientist. Turns out the bad guys are reanimating dead thugs to do their dirty work using atomic radiation… Can anyone stop their nuclear-powered zombies?”
“This “classic Cold War creature feature” was released by Arrow Video in their limited edition Blu-ray boxset Cold War Creatures: Four Films From Sam Katzman. The set contains four thrilling films and a host of additional content including intros by critic Kim Newman, various takes on producer Sam Katzman’s incredible career, and stunning artwork by Matt Griffin.”
BAR TRASH is a new weekly event in Bar Paragon for all lovers of incredibly curious films and collectors of physical media. We’ll be showing low budget exploitation movies from the grind house and drive-in, as well as sharing our love of cult titles from distributors like Arrow, 101, Indicator, Retromedia and Eureka. Hosted by queer horror blogger TOKEN HOMO, BAR TRASH is the kind of event where the audience is the special feature. Join us!
- THE CAMERA IS OURS d. various at Kino Bermondsey (15 JUN 14:25).
- CYRANO d. Joe Wright, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (15 JUN 20:00).
- EVERYTHING WENT FINE d. François Ozon, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Curzon Soho (15 JUN 18:00).
- Pink Palace: FUNERAL PARADE OF ROSES d. Toshio Matsumoto, 1969 + Discussion in the Rio Cinema Basement Bar (15 JUN 19:30).
- GROOMED + Q&A with protagonist Patrick Sandford & Gary Pleece of 1in6uk at The Garden Cinema (15 JUN 18:30).
- THE MAN WITHOUT DESIRE 35mm + JOHN HERIOT’S WIFE 35mm d. Adrian Brunel, 1923 + B. E. Doxat-Pratt, 1920 + Live piano accompaniment by Colin Sell & John Sweeney presented by Kennington Bioscope at The Cinema Museum (15 JUN 19:30).
- PLEASURE d. Ninja Thyberg, 2021 + Recorded Q&A with the director & actor Sofia Kappel hosted by film critic Hannah Strong presented by Birds’ Eye View #ReclaimTheFrame at: Barbican (15 JUN 20:20) / Curzon Cinemas (15 JUN various) / Electric Cinemas (15 JUN 21:15) / Everyman Cinemas (15 JUN various) / Genesis Cinema (15 JUN 20:45) / ICA (15 JUN 18:25).
Check venues for full listings…
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- INTERSTELLAR 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (15 JUN 20:15).
80S CINEMA ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- THE GOONIES 35mm d. Richard Donner, 1985 (15 JUN 10:30).
BAR TRASH at Genesis Cinema
- CREATURE WITH THE ATOM BRAIN d. Edward L. Cahn, 1955 + Intro (15 JUN 20:30 – £1!).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AFTER BRESSON… at BFI Southbank
- STRANGER BY THE LAKE aka L’Inconnu du lac d. Alain Guiraudie, 2013 + Intro by Dr Edward Lamberti (15 JUN 18:10).
- TAXI DRIVER 4K d. Martin Scorsese, 1976 (15 JUN 20:40).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE d. Elia Kazan, 1951 (15 JUN 15:10).
CELEBRATING FILM NOIR at The Garden Cinema
- DOUBLE INDEMNITY d. Billy Wilder, 1944 (15 JUN 20:00).
CHISWICK PRIDE at Chiswick Cinema
- AMMONITE d. Frances Lee, 2020 (15 JUN 20:30).
CULTITUDE at Catford Mews
- ALIEN d. Ridley Scott, 1979 (15 JUN 21:00).
THE FILMS OF TERRENCE MALICK at The Prince Charles
- DAYS OF HEAVEN d. Terrence Malick, 1978 (15 JUN 18:00).
LONG-ASS MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- INTERSTELLAR 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (15 JUN 20:15 – 168mins).
OF SIN & SALVATION: THE CINEMA OF ROBERT BRESSON at BFI Southbank
- MOUCHETTE 4K Restoration d. Robert Bresson, 1966 (15 JUN 18:20).
- Re-releases: PICKPOCKET d. Robert Bresson, 1959 (03 JUN to 30 JUN various).
RETURN OF THE OUTSIDER: THE FILMS OF MIKE HODGES at BFI Southbank
- Re-releases: GET CARTER d. Mike Hodges, 1971 (15 JUN 14:40).
SEASCAPES: OUR OCEANS ON SCREEN at Ciné Lumière
- AN OCEANIC FEELING short film programme (15 JUN 18:20).
SUMMER OF SCI-FI at The Castle Cinema
- MARS ATTACKS! d. Tim Burton, 1996 presented by Pinc. (15 JUN 18:45).
THE WAVE: ITALIAN WOMEN FILMMAKERS at Ciné Lumière
- SWING RIDE aka Calcinculo d. Chiara Bellosi, 2021 + Q&A with the director + Short: COSMOETICO (15 JUN 19:30).
- Barnes Film Festival (16 to 22 JUN).
- Odyssey: A Chinese Cinema Season (10 MAY to 10 JUNE).
- Riverside Pride Film Festival (10 to 15 JUN).
- Sundance Film Festival: London (09 to 12 JUN).
- The Wave: Italian Women Filmmakers (15 to 19 JUN – Featured attraction of the month!).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS (15 JUN 21:15).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- DIRTY DANCING (15 JUN 21:15).
- Also 10 to 16 JUN (various dates/times): IN BALANCHINE’S CLASSROOM d. Connie Hochman, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // JACK’S RIDE aka No táxi do Jack d. Susana Nobre, 2021 at: ICA // LEAVE NO TRACES aka Zeby nie bylo sladów d. Jan P. Matuszynski, 2021 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Watermans // SWAN SONG d. Todd Stephens, 2021 at: Barbican / BFI / Curzon Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios.
- Brixton Community Cinema presents THE LITTLE GIRL WHO SOLD THE SUN at Brixton Village (02 DEC 2022).
- Cinema of Ideas presents ‘Repetition as Differentiation via LATIFAH AND HIMLI’S NOMADIC UNCLE’ curated by Jemma Desai (online 05 to 20 DEC 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
- The Social Cinema presents FRAMEBURN at Hackney Brewery & High Hill Taproom (08 SEP to 08 DEC 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.