WEDNESDAY 15 SEPTEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS d. Julien Temple, 1986 + Q&A with the director & cinematographer Oliver Stapleton at BFI (15 SEP 20:25) / Part of NFTS AT 50.
- “Julien Temple’s brave reboot of the British movie musical for the MTV generation comes on like a hyper West Side Story. Its tale of young lovers divided – set against a backdrop of generational conflict, gentrification and white supremacy in 1950s London – is a riot of day-glo production design and anarchic energy. Bowie’s ad man Vendice Partners gets a memorable number, dancing atop a spinning globe and an over-sized type-writer. But it’s his chart-topping title theme that steals the show.”
- 200 METERS d. Ameen Nayfeh, 2019 at BFI (15 SEP 20:50).
- ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS d. Julien Temple, 1986 + Q&A with the director & cinematographer Oliver Stapleton at BFI (15 SEP 20:25).
- THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD 35mm d. Andrew Dominik, 2007 at The Prince Charles (15 SEP 20:15).
- BYE BYE MORONS aka Adieu les cons d. Albert Dupontel, 2020 at Ciné Lumière (15 SEP 16:15).
- DAVID BYRNE’S AMERICAN UTOPIA d. Spike Lee, 2020 at The Prince Charles (15 SEP 13:00).
- GIRLFRIENDS d. Claudia Weill, 1978 at The Prince Charles (15 SEP 18:00).
- GUNDA d. Victor Kossakovsky, 2021 at Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (15 SEP 19:45).
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE 4K aka Fa yeung nin wah d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 at Picturehouse Cinemas (daily until 16 SEP).
- LADY SINGS THE BLUES d. Sidney J Furie, 1972 at BFI (15 SEP 13:50).
- THE PHANTOM d. Patrick Forbes, 2021 + Q&A with the director & civil rights attorney Clive Stafford Smith at Curzon Soho (15 SEP 18:20).
- PHANTOM THREAD 70mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2018 at The Prince Charles (15 SEP 15:00).
- THE RAID d. Gareth Evans, 2011 at The Prince Charles (15 SEP 12:30).
- REAR WINDOW d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1954 + Recorded intro by Geoff Andrew at BFI (15 SEP 17:20).
- ROSE PLAYS JULIE d. Joe Lawlor & Christine Molloy, 2019 at Picturehouse Central (15 SEP 18:15).
- TALKING HEADS STOP MAKING SENSE d. Jonathan Demme, 1984 presented by Pitchblack Playback at Rio Cinema (15 SEP 19:00).
- TO BE SOMEONE d. Ray Burdis, 2020 at Whirled Cinema (15 SEP 20:00).
- WHICH WAY IS UP? 35mm d. Michael Schultz, 1977 at BFI (15 SEP 21:00).
- WOLF AND SHEEP d. Shahrbanoo Sadat, 2016 at ICA (15 SEP 20:55).
- PEOPLE JUST DO NOTHING: BIG IN JAPAN d. Jack Clough, 2021 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (15 SEP 20:00).
- TRUE ROMANCE d. Tony Scott, 1993 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (15 SEP 20:00).
- Banglaverse Film Festival (16 to 18 SEP).
- CASA Festival (01 to 29 SEP).
- Crystal Palace International Film Festval (09 SEP to 02 OCT).
- Ethiopian Film Week (10 to 14 SEP).
- Japanese Avant-garde & Experimental Film Festival (16 to 19 SEP at Barbican / 20 to 30 SEP online). READ OUR FESTIVAL GUIDE
- Leytonstone Loves Film 2021 (15 to 19 SEP).
- Open City Documentary Festival (08 to 14 SEP in venues / 13 to 23 SEP online).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (09 to 19 SEP). READ OUR FESTIVAL GUIDE
- Queer East Film Festival (15 to 26 SEP). READ OUR FESTIVAL GUIDE
- Also (10 to 16 SEP various dates/times): HERSELF d. Phyllida Lloyd, 2020 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Riverside Studios // THE SPARKS BROTHERS d. Edgar Wright, 2021 at: The Prince Charles.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.