WEDNESDAY 15 DECEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
NOSFERATU d. Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau, 1922 + Live score by Dritëro Demjaha at Screen25 Cinema (15 DEC 19:45).
- “Thomas Hutter is sent by his master to finalise a deal with Count Orlok. However, he soon learns that Orlok is a vampire whose eyes are set on his wife, Ellen. To accompany Murnau’s symphony of horror, we are pleased to present a haunting electric live score, improvised by friend of Screen25, Dritëro Demjaha.”
- A THOUSAND CUTS d. Ramona S. Diaz, 2020 + Panel discussion at Bertha DocHouse (15 DEC 18:20 – FREE!).
- FLEE d. Jonas Poher Rasmussen, 2021 + Q&A at Curzon Soho (15 DEC 18:10).
- FLEE d. Jonas Poher Rasmussen, 2021 preview at Catford Mews (15 DEC 20:30).
- FROM DUSK ‘TIL DAWN + THE COMEBACK SPECIAL d. Tim Pope, 1993 + 2018 at ICA (15 DEC 20:45).
- IN THE HEIGHTS d. Jon M Chu, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (15 DEC 20:00).
- Classic Matinee: IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE d. Frank Capra, 1946 + Live performance by Ida Barr at Rio Cinema (15 DEC 14:30).
- KING RICHARD d. Reinaldo Marcus Green, 2021 at The David Lean (15 DEC 19:30).
- NOSFERATU d. Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau, 1922 + Live score by Dritëro Demjaha at Screen25 Cinema (15 DEC 19:45).
- SPICE WORLD: THE MOVIE d. Bob Spiers, 1997 presented by Pinc at The Castle Cinema (15 DEC 18:45).
- TITANE d. Julia Ducornau, 2021 + Panel discussion presented by The Final Girls UK at Rio Cinema (15 DEC 20:45).
- UNSOPHISTICATED LADY aka La Pièce rapportée d. Antonin Peretjatko , 2021 at Ciné Lumière (15 DEC 20:30).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE 35mm d. Frank Capra, 1946 (01 to 24 DEC various).
- DIE HARD 35mm d. John McTiernan, 1988 (15 DEC 20:15).
100 YEARS: SIMONE SIGNORET, THE POLITICAL STAR – PART I at Ciné Lumière
- THE SLEEPING CAR MURDERS d. Costa-Gavras, 1965 (15 DEC 18:30).
ALT. XMAS at The Prince Charles
- ROCKY IV: ROCKY VS DRAGO [Ultimate Director’s Cut] d. Sylvester Stallone, 1985 (15 DEC 15:55).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: CHRISTMAS ON SCREEN at BFI Southbank
- THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER d. Ernst Lubitsch, 1940 (03 to 23 DEC various).
- CAROL d. Todd Haynes, 2015 (15 DEC 17:50).
CHRISTMAS at Catford Mews
- DIE HARD d. John McTiernan, 1988 (15 DEC 17:45).
CHRISTMAS at Genesis Cinema
- CAROL d. Todd Haynes, 2015 (15 DEC 21:00).
CHRISTMAS at The Prince Charles
- IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE 35mm d. Frank Capra, 1946 (daily to 24 DEC various).
- THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL d. Brian Henson, 1992 (03 to 24 DEC various Sing Along/Santa – check venue for details).
- NATIONAL LAMPOON’S CHRISTMAS VACATION d. Jeremiah S. Chechik, 1989 (15 DEC 15:40).
- HOME ALONE d. Chris Columbus, 1990 (15 DEC 18:00).
- TIM BURTON’S THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS d. Henry Selick, 1993 (15 DEC 18:15).
- DIE HARD 70/35mm d. John McTiernan, 1988 (15 DEC 20:15 – 35mm).
THE EDGE OF BELIEF at Close-Up
- THE ILLINOIS PARABLES + SENSEMAYÁ d. Deborah Stratman, 2016 + Colectivo Los Ingrávidos, 2021 (15 DEC 20:15).
- Curated by Emily Wright. Presented in partnership with the National Film & Television School.
JAPAN 2021 at BFI Southbank
- DRIVE MY CAR aka Doraibu mai kâ d. Ryûsuke Hamaguchi, 2021 (11 to 19 DEC various).
- SILENCE HAS NO WINGS 35mm aka Tobenai chinmoku d. Kazuo Kuroki, 1966 (15 DEC 18:00).
- WOMAN OF THE LAKE 35mm aka Onna no mizûmi d. Kijû Yoshida, 1966 (15 DEC 20:50).
JAPAN 2021: ANOTHER GAZE at BFI Southbank
- Experimenta presents: A selection of video & film works by experimental filmmaker Mako Idemitsu + Intro by Another Gaze’s Daniella Shreir (15 DEC 18:10).
- SKY, WIND, FIRE, WATER, EARTH + BIRTH/MOTHER aka Kya ka ra ba a + Tarachime d. Naomi Kawase, 2001 + 2006 (15 DEC 20:45).
JEAN-PAUL BELMONDO LE MAGNIFIQUE at Ciné Lumière
- PIERROT LE FOU d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1965 (15 DEC 18:10).
- French Film Festival (03 NOV to 15 DEC).
- London Film Week (06 to 12 DEC).
- Made In Prague Festival (07 NOV to 10 DEC).
- Also (10 to 16 DEC, various dates/times): CITIZEN ASHE d. Rex Miller & Sam Pollard, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse / ICA // DYING TO DIVORCE d. Chloe Fairweather, 2021 at: The Garden Cinema (13 to 19 DEC) // HOPE aka Håp d. Maria Sødahl, 2019 at: Curzon Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas // THE STORMS OF JEREMY THOMAS d. Mark Cousins, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.