WEDNESDAY 18 JANUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
BAR TRASH: TRASH OR TREASURE? Season Launch + THE GREEN SLIME d. Kinji Fukasaku, 1968 at Genesis Cinema (18 JAN 20:30):
“With Sight & Sound showcasing the “100 greatest films ever made” at BFI and the global film industry about to slap itself silly in awards season, BAR TRASH takes a different path… For the third sensational season of his cult movie event – TRASH OR TREASURE? – Token Homo will be resurrecting one of the most controversial movie lists of all time, The Golden Turkey Awards!”
“Published in the 1980s by Harry and Michael Medved, The Golden Turkeys were two volumes of satyrical, attention-grabbing snark. They disrespected film lore, eviscerated Hollywood’s hypocrisies, and (accidentally?) revived forgotten film histories. Edward D. Wood Jr. (GLEN OR GLENDA, PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE) was crowned ‘The Worst Director of All Time’.”
“But are these films TRASH OR TREASURE? And what does ‘best/worst’ mean when all we’re looking for is a good time in the darkness? At this special launch event, Token Homo will reveal the full season lineup and he’ll also be screening Kinji Fukasaku’s 1968 Japanese sci-fi catastrophe, THE GREEN SLIME! All BAR TRASH films are served with themed drinks, introductions, intermissions, prize giveaways and subtitles (where possible). Tickets from £3.”
- Pink Palace: BAD EDUCATION aka La mala educación d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2004 + Intro/discussion in the Basement Bar at Rio CInema (18 JAN 20:00).
- THE BOOK OF VISION d. Carlo Hintermann, 2020 + Q&A with Charles Dance at Olympic Studios (18 JAN 19:25).
- DETOUR d. Edgar G Ulmer, 1945 presented by Kennington Noir at The Cinema Museum (18 JAN 19:30).
- HOLY SPIDER d. Ali Abbasi, 2022 presented by Deeper Into Movies x MUBI at Rio Cinema (18 JAN 18:30).
- LIVING d. Oliver Hermanus, 2022 at The David Lean (18 JAN 19:30).
- Classic Matinee: THE QUEEN OF SPADES d. Thorold Dickinson, 1949 at ActOne Cinema (18 JAN 15:45).
- YOUR NAME d. Makoto Shinkai, 2022 + Intro & book signing by Ghibliotheque podcast at Picturehouse Stratford (18 JAN 19:00).
- Darren Aronofsky in conversation at BFI Southbank (18 JAN 20:35).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2022 (until 22 JAN).
- BRICK 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2005 (18 JAN 15:40).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- INTERSTELLAR 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (18 JAN 20:10).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 26 JAN).
- SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022: 90= PARASITE aka Gisaengchung d. Bong Joon Ho, 2019 (18 JAN 17:30).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Talks & Events: Kurosawa season introduction (18 JAN 18:20).
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (06 to 31 JAN).
ARCHITECTURE ON FILM at Barbican
- DREAMING WALLS: INSIDE THE CHELSEA HOTEL d. Amélie van Elmbt & Maya Duverdier, 2021 (18 JAN 18:45).
BAR TRASH: TRASH OR TREASURE? at Genesis Cinema
- Season Launch + THE GREEN SLIME d. Kinji Fukasaku, 1968 + Intro, intermission, themed drinks & prize giveaways with Token Homo at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon (18 JAN 20:30).
- Presented by Token Homo.
BEST OF 2022 at Bertha DocHouse
- MOONAGE DAYDREAM d. Brett Morgen, 2022 (18 JAN 19:00).
CELEBRATING JACK NICHOLSON at The Garden Cinema
CHAZELLE SEASON at Genesis Cinema
- LA LA LAND d. Damien Chazelle, 2016 (18 JAN 18:05).
FROM THE REQUEST BOARD at The Prince Charles
- MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSEd. Gary Goddard, 1987 (18 JAN 13:00).
JEAN-LUC GODARD: PERSPECTIVES at Ciné Lumière
- ALPHAVILLE d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1965 (18 JAN 18:20).
MARK JENKIN’S THE CINEMATIC DNA OF ENYS MEN at BFI Southbank
- Releases: ENYS MEN d. Mark Jenkin, 2022 (13 to 31 JAN).
MEL BROOKS SELECTROSPECTIVE (IN REVERSE) at The Prince Charles
- SILENT MOVIE d. Mel Brooks, 1976 (18 JAN 18:00).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 75= IMITATION OF LIFE d. Douglas Sirk, 1959 (18 JAN 20:30).
- BFI IMAX: 90= PARASITE aka Gisaengchung d. Bong Joon Ho, 2019 (18 JAN 17:30).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERSat The Prince Charles
- TAKE THIS WALTZ d. Sarah Polley, 2011 (18 JAN 18:10).
STAFF PICKS at The Garden Cinema
- SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS d. Alexander Mackendrick, 1957 (18 JAN 18:15).
STEVEN SPIELBERG FROM 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- HOOK 35mm d. Steven Spielberg, 1991 (18 JAN 10:30).
TWO FROM SARAH POLLEY at The Prince Charles
- TAKE THIS WALTZ d. Sarah Polley, 2011 (18 JAN 18:10).
WUXIA SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles
- DRAGON INN d. King Hu, 1967 (18 JAN 15:25).
- COMING SOON: London Short Film Festival (20 to 29 JAN).
Also 13 to 19 JAN 2023 (various dates / times):
- GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- MORE THAN EVER aka Plus que jamais d. Emily Atef, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière (from 19 JAN).
- THE OLD WAY d. Brett Donowho, 2023 at: The Prince Charles.
- SKINAMARINK d. Kyle Edward Ball, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- THIS STOLEN COUNTRY d. Marc Wiese, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse (from 14 JAN).
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.