WEDNESDAY 20 APRIL 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE MOTHER AND THE WHORE 35mm aka La maman et la putain d. Jean Eustache, 1973 + Intro by Françoise Lebrun + Intermission at Picturehouse Central (20 APR 19:00):
“In the midst of the sexual revolution, a twenty-something Parisian finds himself in a bizarre love triangle: Alexandre (Jean-Pierre Léaud) is an unemployed young radical who finds himself intertwined with his live-in girlfriend Marie (Bernadette Lafont) and the promiscuous Polish nurse Veronika (Françoise Lebrun).”
“Considered a crowning achievement of the French New Wave, director Jean Eustache’s epic masterpiece won the Grand Prix at the 1973 Cannes Film Festival, and remains enviably hard to see.”
“We are delighted to welcome Françoise Lebrun to introduce the film in person, ahead of the release of Gaspar Noé’s new film VORTEX, in which she stars.” (Picturehouse)
- THE ADVENTURES OF PRISCILLA, QUEEN OF THE DESERT d. Stephan Elliot, 1994 presented by Pinc. at The Castle Cinema (20 APR 18:45).
- BLINDED BY THE LIGHT d. Gurinder Chadha, 2019 presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas Church W5 (20 APR 20:15).
- CODA d. Sian Heder, 2021 at The David Lean (20 APR 19:30).
- DAZED AND CONFUSED d. Richard Linklater, 1993 at The Prince Charles (20 APR 20:45).
- EASTER PARADE d. Arthur Freed, 1948 at Riverside Studios (20 APR 12:05).
- EASTER PARADE d. Charles Walters, 1948 presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas Church W5 (20 APR 15:00).
- THE ELECTRIC LIFE OF LOUIS WAIN d. Will Sharpe, 2020 at Rio Cinema (20 APR 14:30).
- LOLA AND THE SEA aka Lola vers la mer d. Laurent Micheli, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (20 APR 20:00 / 24 APR 17:00).
- THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY d. John Mackenzie, 1980 at The Prince Charles (20 APR 15:15).
- THE MOTHER AND THE WHORE 35mm aka La maman et la putain d. Jean Eustache, 1973 + Intro by Françoise Lebrun + Intermission at Picturehouse Central (20 APR 19:00).
- PLAYGROUND d. Laura Wandel, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Ciné Lumière (20 APR 18:30).
- T-MEN 16mm d. Anthony Mann, 1947 presented by Kennington Noir at The Cinema Museum (20 APR 19:30).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- BLUE COLLAR 35mm d. Paul Schrader, 1978 (20 APR 18:00).
- LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (20 APR 20:55).
ANIME at BFI Southbank
- STEAMBOY aka Suchîmubôi d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 2004 (20 APR 18:10).
- BUBBLE aka Baburu d. Tetsurô Araki, 2022 + Recorded Q&A (20 APR 20:30).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- BELLE aka Ryû to sobakasu no hime d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2021 (20 APR 18:10).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- BENEDETTA d. Paul Verhoeven, 2021 (until 28 APR various).
- ONODA: 10,000 NIGHTS IN THE JUNGLE aka Onoda: 10 000 Nuits dans la jungle d. Arthur Harari, 2021 (until 21 APR various).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- I CONFESS 35mm d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1953 + Recorded intro by Christina Newland (20 APR 18:00).
- LOURDES 35mm d. Jessica Hausner, 2009 (20 APR 20:50).
CELEBRATING MARLON BRANDO at The Garden Cinema
- LISTEN TO ME MARLON d. Stevan Riley, 2015 (20 APR 18:30).
- THE WILD ONE d. László Benedek, 1953 (20 APR 21:00).
FROM THE MIND OF PAUL SCHRADER at The Prince Charles
- BLUE COLLAR 35mm d. Paul Schrader, 1978 (20 APR 18:00).
JOACHIM TRIER’S OSLO TRILOGY at ICA
- THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD d. Joachim Trier, 2022 (until 21 APR various).
JOACHIM TRIER’S OSLO TRILOGY at The Prince Charles
- THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD d. Joachim Trier, 2022 (until 28 APR various).
LIV ULLMANN: FACE TO FACE at BFI Southbank
- AN-MAGRITT 35mm d. Arne Skouen, 1969 (20 APR 18:20).
PAUL VERHOEVEN 35MM LATE NIGHTS at Everyman Screen On The Green
- ROBOCOP 35mm d. Paul Verhoeven, 1987 (20 APR 10:30).
- Essay Film Festival (19 MAR to 23 APR).
THE NORTHMAN d. Robert Eggers, 2022:
- Also 15 to 21 APR (various dates/times): MARIUPOLIS d. Mantas Kvedaravičius, 2016 at: ICA // ONODA: 10,000 NIGHTS IN THE JUNGLE d. Arthur Harari, 2021 at: ICA // OPERATION MINCEMEAT d. John Madden, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / The Lexi Cinema / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Riverside Studios.
- Oliver Dickens presents two films by Kira Muratova to raise funds for Ukraine at Rio Cinema & Ciné Lumière (07 & 14 JUN 2022).
- Lost Vampires presents BILLY THE KID AND THE GREEN BAIZE VAMPIRE 35mm + Q&A with Phil Daniels at The Prince Charles (27 JUN 2022).
- Science Fiction Theatre returns with three sci-fi classics this summer at The Castle Cinema (10 JUN to 12 AUG 2022).
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE FLY at The Castle Cinema (24 JUN 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.