WEDNESDAY 21 SEPTEMBER 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE MOTHER d. Roger Michell, 2003 presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas, Ealing (21 SEP 19:30).
“The most talked about and controversial British film for years, THE MOTHER centres around an uncomfortably atypical relationship, far more shocking than that of HAROLD & MAUDE. May is an ordinary grandmother from the suburbs. When her husband dies on a family visit to London, she recedes into the background of her busy, metropolitan childrens lives. Stuck in an unfamiliar city far from home, May fears that she has become another invisible old woman whose life is more or less over. Until that is, she falls for Darren, a man half her age who is renovating her sons house and sleeping with her daughter.” (Pitshanger Pictures)
- ALL MY FRIENDS HATE ME d. Andrew Gaynord, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (21 SEP 20:00 / 25 SEP 17:00).
- Classic Matinee: THE AXE FORGETS BUT THE TREE REMEMBERSd. Alberta Whittle, 2022 + Discussion with Lauren Gee from Create London at Rio Cinema (21 SEP 14:30).
- Preview: CATHERINE CALLED BIRDY d. Lena Dunham, 2022 at Barbican (21 SEP 18:10).
- Preview: DON’T WORRY DARLING d. Olivia Wilde, 2022 at The Cinema In The Arches (21 SEP 19:45).
- HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE d. Jean Negulesco, 1953 presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas, Ealing (21 SEP 15:00).
- TV Preview: INSIDE MAN d. Paul McGuigan, 2022 + Q&A with the director, David Tennant, Stanley Tucci, Dolly Wells, Lydia West, & writer Steven Moffat at BFI Southbank (21 SEP 18:40).
- KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS d. Robert Hamer, 1949 at ActOne Cinema (21 SEP 14:00).
- JUNIPER d. Matthew J. Saville, 2021 + Q&A with Charlotte Rampling at Olympic Studios (21 SEP 18:40).
- THE MOTHER d. Roger Michell, 2003 presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas, Ealing (21 SEP 19:30).
- Fringe! vs Pink Palace: POISON IVY d. Katt Shea, 1992 + Intro by Molly Miles in the Rio Cinema basement bar (21 SEP 19:30).
- Preview: SILENT LAND d. Aga Woszczyńska, 2021 at Picturehouse Cinemas (21 SEP various).
- VIDEODROME 35mm d. David Cronenberg, 1983 at ICA (21 SEP 18:40).
Check venues for full listings…
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- MOONAGE DAYDREAM d. Brett Morgen, 2022 (16 to 22 SEP).
- TOP GUN: MAVERICK d. Joseph Kosinski, 2022 (21 SEP 17:50).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FATEFUL MOMENTS IN TIME! at BFI Southbank
- LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN d. Max Ophuls, 1948 + Intro by Geoff Andrew, Programmer-at-Large (21 SEP 18:00).
- LIFT TO THE SCAFFOLD d. Louis Malle, 1958 (21 SEP 21:00).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- FRANCES HA d. Noah Baumbach, 2012 (21 SEP 16:00).
FROM THE REQUEST BOARD… at The Prince Charles
- LOST IN TRANSLATION d. Sofia Coppola, 2003 (21 SEP 20:50).
INDIANA JONES IN 4K at The Prince Charles
- INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE d. Steven Spielberg, 1989 (21 SEP 18:00 – 4K).
MAD MAX ON 35MM at Everyman Screen on the Green
- MAD MAX 2: THE ROAD WARRIOR 35mm d. George Miller, 1981 (21 SEP 10:30).
PAM GRIER at Picturehouse Cinemas
- JACKIE BROWN d. Quentin Tarantino, 1997 (21 SEP various).
PAM GRIER: FOXY, FIERCE & FEARLESS at BFI Southbank
- Re-release: JACKIE BROWN d. Quentin Tarantino, 1997 (16 SEP to 02 OCT).
SOUND AND VISION at BFI IMAX & Southbank
- Directed by Brett Morgen: COBAIN: MONTAGE OF HECK d. Brett Morgen, 2015 (21 SEP 20:20).
- BFI IMAX: MOONAGE DAYDREAM d. Brett Morgen, 2022 (16 to 22 SEP).
SPOTLIGHT ON ISABELLE HUPPERT at Ciné Lumière
- MRS HARRIS GOES TO PARIS d. Anthony Fabian, 2021 (21 SEP 19:30).
- LA CÉRÉMONIE 4K Restoration d. Claude Chabrol, 1995 (21 SEP 20:15 + Recorded intro by Nick Rees-Roberts & Darren Waldron).
THROWBACK at Everyman Cinemas
- JACKIE BROWN d. Quentin Tarantino, 1997 (21 SEP various).
- Alyssa Film Festival (16 to 24 SEP).
- Everyman Music Film Festival (01 to 30 SEP).
- Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest (20 to 25 SEP).
- London Spanish Film Festival (22 to 29 SEP).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (08 to 18 SEP).
- Portobello Film Festival (01 to 18 SEP).
- S.O.U.L. Fest x ABFF Global (16 to 18 SEP).
- Ukraine Defiant: Ukrainian Film Festival (22 to 25 SEP).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- BEAST (21 SEP 19:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- KILL BILL: VOL. 1 (21 SEP 19:30).
ATHENA dir. Romain Gavras, 2022:
- Exclusively at: Rio Cinema
HALLELUJAH: LEONARD COHEN, A JOURNEY, A SONG dir. Daniel Geller & Dayna Goldfine, 2021:
- Also 15 to 22 SEP (various dates/times): A JAZZMAN’S BLUES d. Tyler Perry, 2022 at: Curzon Cinemas // BLOODY ORANGES d. Jean-Christophe Meurisse, 2021 at: ICA // CLERKS III d. Kevin Smith, 2022 at: Catford Mews / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles // I AM A TOWN d. Mischa Richter, 2020 at: ICA // JACKIE BROWN d. Quentin Tarantino, 1997 at: BFI / Chiswick Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios // JAWS 3D d. Steven Spielberg, 1975 at: Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas // STRAWBERRY MANSION d. Kentucker Audley & Albert Birney, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas / ICA // TICKET TO PARADISE d. Ol Parker, 2022 at (from 20 SEP): Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema in the Arches / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Kino Bermondsey / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- BIG BOYS DON’T CRY + Q&A raising funds for NAPAC at Everyman Borough Yards (03 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.