WEDNESDAY 24 AUGUST 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
KA BODYSCAPES d. Jayan Cherian, 2016 + Short: DEAR BRADFORD d. Vivek Vadoliya, 2022 presented by Baesianz Cinema Club at Spanners SW9 (24 AUG 19:00).
“???????? ?????? ???? will be showcasing some of the best, subversive and iconic Asian films from across the continent. For each screening, we will invite an emerging filmmaker to screen one of their short films as well as a feature film selected by them.”
“Kicking us off, we’ll be showing Vivek Vadoliya short film “Dear Bradford” (2022). From Muslim ‘no-go areas’ to Brexit-voting white nationalists, stereotypes continue to be perpetuated about Bradford 21 years after the ‘race riots’. This is an intergenerational account of one family that tells the story of a place, but also of many other diaspora families across the UK and the world.”
“Vivek has selected the film “Ka Bodyscapes” (2016) by Jayan Cherian. Three young people—Haris, a queer painter; Vishnu, a rural kabaddi player and their friend Sia, an activist who refuses to conform to dominant norms of femininity—struggle to find space and happiness in a conservative Indian city. The film is a honest attempt to mainstream a many-splendored queer love and challenge tropes of homosexuality and misogyny.” (Baesianz Cinema Club)
- Classic Matinee: DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA d. Simon Curtis, 2022 at Rio Cinema (24 AUG 14:30).
- I CAME BY d. Babak Anvari, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Regent Street Cinema (24 AUG 19:15).
- KA BODYSCAPES d. Jayan Cherian, 2016 + Short: DEAR BRADFORD d. Vivek Vadoliya, 2022 presented by Baesianz Cinema Club at Spanners SW9 (24 AUG 19:00).
- OASIS – LIVE BY THE SEA presented by Deeper Into Movies at Signature Brew Haggerston (24 AUG 19:30 – FREE!).
- THE OUTFIT d. Graham Moore, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (24 AUG 20:00 / 28 AUG 17:00).
- Pink Palace: PANDORA’S BOX d. GW Pabst, 1929 + Intro/Discussion with Adam Smith & So Mayer in the Basement Bar at Rio Cinema (24 AUG 19:30).
- WINGS OF DESIRE d. Wim Wenders, 1987 at Olympic Studios (24 AUG 19:40).
- WINGS OF DESIRE d. Wim Wenders, 1987 at Rio Cinema (24 AUG 15:30 / 25 AUG 13:30 & 21:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- CINEMA PARADISO 35mm aka Nuovo Cinema Paradiso d. Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988 (24 AUG 13:00).
- THE MATRIX 35mm d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 (24 AUG 15:10).
90S CINEMA ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION 35mm d. Frank Darabont, 1994 (24 AUG 10:30).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
BAR TRASH at Genesis Cinema
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME d. J. Lee Thompson, 1981 + Intro, film chat, prize giveaways & themed drinks with Token Homo (24 AUG 20:30 – £1!).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: POWER! at BFI Southbank
- LA HAINE 4K d. Mathieu Kassowitz, 1995 + Intro by Ginette Vincendeau, Professor of film studies at King’s College London (24 AUG 18:10).
- CITIZEN KANE 35mm d. Orson Welles, 1941 (24 AUG 20:40).
CELEBRATING FILM NOIR at The Garden Cinema
- BRIGHTON ROCK d. John Boulting, 1948 (24 AUG 15:00).
CELEBRATING PENÉLOPE CRUZ at The Garden Cinema
- VOLVER d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2006 (24 AUG 17:30).
- ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER d. Pedro Almodóvar, 1999 (24 AUG 20:00).
CLASSIC DISNEY SEASON at Everyman Cinemas
- MOANA d. Ron Clements & John Musker, 2016 (24 AUG various).
FROM JAMAICA TO THE WORLD: REGGAE ON FILM at BFI Southbank
- Re-release: BURNING AN ILLUSION Digital Restoration d. Menelik Shabazz, 1981 (19 to 25 AUG).
SATYAJIT RAY: THE LANGUAGE OF FILM at BFI Southbank
- Documentaries: Documentaries Programme 2 (24 AUG 18:20 – some 35mm).
- The woman question: THE HOME AND THE WORLD 35mm aka Ghare Baire d. Satyajit Ray, 1984 (24 AUG 20:20).
STAR TREK IN 4K at The Prince Charles
- STAR TREK : THE MOTION PICTURE [The Director’s Edition] d. Robert Wise, 1979 (24 AUG 20:40).
SUMMER OF SCI-FI at The Castle Cinema
- Sci-Fi Shorts presented by Zodiac Film Club x Final Girls Berlin (24 AUG 18:45).
THROWBACK at Everyman Cinemas
- GREASE d. Randal Kleiser, 1978 (24 AUG various).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- HAPPY TOGETHER d. Wong Kar Wai, 1997 (24 AUG 18:20 – 4K).
- FrightFest 2022 (25 to 29 AUG).
OUTDOOR CINEMA Cinema at Barbican Centre
- MOTHRA d. Ishirō Honda, 1961 (24 AUG 20:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- WHERE THE CRAWDADS SING (24 AUG 20:00).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- ELVIS (24 AUG 20:00).
BULLETPROOF dir. Todd Chandler, 2020
- Exclusively at: ICA
- Also 19 to 25 AUG (various dates/times): ANAÏS IN LOVE d. Charline Bourgeois-Tacquet, 2021 at: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / ICA // FEAST d. Lee Haven Jones, 2021 at: Barbican / BFI / Curzon Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas // GIRLS CAN’T SURF d. Christopher Nelius, 2020 at: ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema // THE HARDER THEY COME d. Perry Henzell, 1972 at: Watermans // HER WAY aka Une Femme du monde d. Cécile Ducrocq, 2021 at: Ciné Lumière (from 24 AUG) // I CAME BY d. Babak Anvari, 2022 at: Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Regent Street Cinema // MY OLD SCHOOL d. Jono McLeod, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / BFI / Curzon Cinemas / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas // PARIS TEXAS d. Wim Wenders, 1984 at: Rio Cinema.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.