WEDNESDAY 24 NOVEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
WALCHENSEE FOREVER d. Janna Ji Wonders, 2020 at Goethe-Institut London (24 NOV 19:00).
- “Janna Ji Wonders’ moving documentary tells the story of four generations of women in her family. The anchor of the film is the beautiful Walchensee, a lake located about 75km south of Munich in Bavaria. Here the director’s great-grandmother, Ada, opened a tourist café in 1920 that still exists today. It becomes the family business that her daughter Norma dutifully runs. For her grand daughters, Frauke and Anna, it is the base to which they can return after touring as folk musicians in the USA and Mexico or visit on weekends, coming from their commune in Munich and bringing along Rainer Langhans, co-founder of the politically motivated Commune 1 in Berlin. The sisters will go their different ways, however, one increasingly withdraws from life, the other moves to the USA, where she becomes pregnant…”
- DYING TO DIVORCE d. Chloe Fairweather, 2021 + Q&A with the director & producer Sinead Kirwan at Rio Cinema (24 NOV 18:30).
- THE FATHER d. Florian Zeller, 2020 at Whirled Cinema (24 NOV 20:00).
- FOUR DAYS IN JULY d. Mike Leigh, 1985 at BFI Southbank (24 NOV 14:15).
- H3 d. Les Blair, 2001 at BFI Southbank (24 NOV 20:50).
- I DO NOT CARE IF WE GO DOWN IN HISTORY AS BARBARIANS d. Radu Jude, 2018 at ICA (24 NOV 13:00).
- INHERENT VICE 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2014 at The Prince Charles (24 NOV 20:25).
- JAWS d. Steven Spielberg, 1975 at The Prince Charles (24 NOV 12:30).
- THE LAST BUS d. Giles MacKinnon, 2021 at Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (24 NOV 19:45).
- NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN 4k d. Joel & Ethan Coen, 2007 + Intro by Geoff Andrew, Programmer-at-Large at BFI Southbank (24 NOV 18:00).
- ROCKY IV: ROCKY VS DRAGO THE ULTIMATE DIRECTOR’S CUT d. Sylvester Stallone, 1985 + Recorded Q&A with the director at: The Cinema In The Arches (24 NOV 19:10); Olympic Studios (24 NOV 20:50); The Prince Charles (24 NOV 21:00).
- SEVEN SAMURAI aka Shichinin no Samurai d. Akira Kurosawa, 1954 at BFI Southbank (24 NOV 13:15).
- TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY d. Tomas Alfredson, 2011 + Q&A with the director, screenwriter Peter Straughan, producer Robyn Slovo & John le Carré’s son & producer, Simon Cornwell at Regent Street Cinema (24 NOV 20:00).
- TOKYO OLYMPIAD aka Tôkyô orinpikku d. Kon Ichikawa, 1964 at BFI Southbank (24 NOV 18:40).
- WALCHENSEE FOREVER d. Janna di Wonders, 2020 at Goethe-Institut London (24 NOV 19:00).
- THE WIND THAT SHAKES THE BARLEY 35mm d. Ken Loach, 2006 at Genesis Cinema (24 NOV 18:00) / Part of The Freedom & Independence Theatre Festival.
- EFG London Jazz Festival (12 to 21 NOV).
- Frames Of Representation (25 NOV to 04 DEC).
- French Film Festival (03 NOV to 15 DEC).
- From Venice To London (18 to 22 NOV).
- Irish Film Festival London (17 to 21 NOV).
- London Korean Film Festival (04 to 19 NOV).
- London Migration Film Festival (25 NOV to 01 DEC).
- London Palestine Film Festival (19 NOV to 03 DEC).
- Made In Prague Festival (07 NOV to 10 DEC).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 OCT to 20 NOV).
- Ocean Film Festival (16 to 24 NOV).
- Ukrainian Film Festival (22 NOV to 06 DEC).
- Also (19 to 25 NOV various dates/times): BRUISED d. Halle Berry, 2020 at: Curzon Cinemas // CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 at: The Prince Charles // THE JUMP d. Giedrė Žickytė, 2020 at: Bertha DocHouse // KING RICHARD d. Reinaldo Marcus Green, 2021 at: Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Kino Bermondsey / The Lexi / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix // ROCKY IV: ROCKY VS DRAGO [Ultimate Director’s Cut] d. Sylvester Stallone, 1985 at: The Prince Charles.
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- BIG BOYS DON’T CRY + Q&A raising funds for NAPAC at Everyman Borough Yards (03 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.