WEDNESDAY 25 JANUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
NATION’S FINEST, PUTTING DOWN ROOTS AND BIRTHING d. Beverley Bennett, 2022 Short film programme + Q&A with the director & Blk Art Group at BFI Southbank (25 JAN 18:15).
“To mark the 40th anniversary of The First National Convention of Black Art at Wolverhampton Polytechnic, we present this insightful, celebratory new film by Beverley Bennett. Commissioned by the Blk Art Research Group and Birmingham 2022, it pays homage to the pioneering Blk Art Group and its legacy and influence on the art scene and, more personally, Bennett’s own practice. The screening will be accompanied by other short films related to the Blk Art Group and followed by an extended discussion with Beverley Bennett and Blk Art Group members Claudette Johnson, Trevor Mathison and Marlene Smith. Presented in collaboration with LUX.” (BFI Experimenta)
- COYOTE UGLY d. David McNally, 2000 presented by Fab Film Club at The Old Nun’s Head (25 JAN 19:45).
- FREE COUNTRY d. Christian Alvart, 2020 at Goethe-Institut London (25 JAN 19:00).
- THE LAST TREE d. Shola Amoo, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (25 JAN 20:00 / 29 JAN 17:00).
- NATION’S FINEST, PUTTING DOWN ROOTS AND BIRTHING d. Beverley Bennett, 2022 Short film programme + Q&A with the director & Blk Art Group at BFI Southbank (25 JAN 18:15).
- Pink Palace: THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE d. Ronald Neame, 1969 + Intro/discussion in the basement bar at Rio Cinema (25 JAN 20:00).
- TÁR d. Todd Field, 2023 + Intro by Pamela Hutchinson at Riverside Studios (25 JAN 19:50).
- WILD AT HEART d. David Lynch, 1990 at The Garden Cinema (25 JAN 15:15).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- BRICK 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2005 (25 JAN 12:15).
- THERE WILL BE BLOOD 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007 (25 JAN 20:30).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 02 FEB).
- BABYLON d. Damien Chazelle, 2023 (until 26 JAN).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (06 to 31 JAN).
BAR TRASH: TRASH OR TREASURE? at Genesis Cinema
- TROG d. Freddie Francis, 1970 + Intro, intermission, themed drinks & prize giveaways with Token Homo at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon (25 JAN 20:30).
- Presented by Token Homo.
BEST OF 2022 at Bertha DocHouse
- MOONAGE DAYDREAM d. Brett Morgen, 2022 (25 JAN 20:10).
CELEBRATING JACK NICHOLSON at The Garden Cinema
- THE LAST DETAIL d. Hal Ashby, 1973 (25 JAN 17:10).
CHAZELLE SEASON at Genesis Cinema
- BABYLON d. Damien Chazelle, 2023 (20 to 26 JAN).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- APOCALYPSE NOW: FINAL CUT d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1979 (25 JAN 14:45 – 4K).
JEAN-LUC GODARD: PERSPECTIVES at Ciné Lumière
- KING LEAR 35mm d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1987 + Talk by Professor Garin Dowd: Godard’s 1980s: Self-Portraiture and Surrogacy (25 JAN 18:10).
- PIERROT LE FOU d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1965 (25 JAN 20:35).
MARK JENKIN’S THE CINEMATIC DNA OF ENYS MEN at BFI Southbank
- Releases: ENYS MEN d. Mark Jenkins, 2022 (13 to 31 JAN).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 75= IMITATION OF LIFE d. Douglas Sirk, 1959 (25 JAN 14:30).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- TITANE d. Julia Ducournau, 2021 (25 JAN 18:00).
STEVEN SPIELBERG FROM 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- JURASSIC PARK 35mm d. Steven Spielberg, 1993 (25 JAN 10:30).
WORLD CINEMA PASSPORT SEASON at Everyman Belsize Park
- CLEO FROM 5 TO 7 d. Agnès Varda, 1962 (25 JAN 15:00).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- DAYS OF BEING WILD d. Wong Kar Wai, 1990 (25 JAN 12:45).
- London Short Film Festival (20 to 29 JAN).
BABYLON dir Damien Chazelle, 2022
Also 20 to 26 JAN (various dates/times):
- ALICE DARLING d. Mary Nighy, 2022 at: Peckhamplex / Rio Cinema
- HIDE & SEEK aka Nascondino d. Victoria Fiore, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse
- MORE THAN EVER aka Plus que jamais d. Emily Atef, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / ICA
- SKINAMARINK d. Kyle Edward Ball, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- THE SUBSTITUTE d. Diego Lerman, 2023 + Recorded Q&A with the director at: Picturehouse Cinemas.
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.