WEDNESDAY 29 SEPTEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
CORPO CELESTE d. Alice Rohrwacher, 2011 + Short: STABAT MATER d. Nina Danino, 1990 presented by The Machine That Kills Bad People at ICA (29 SEP 18:45).
- “One of the most remarkable yet discreet debuts of the last decade, CORPO CELESTE announced a major talent in director Alice Rohrwacher, whose signature blend of earthy realism and cosmic mystery arrived seemingly fully formed. Shot on Super 16mm with handheld immediacy by the great Hélène Louvart, Rohrwacher’s film chronicles the physical and spiritual awakening of Marta (Yle Vianello), a soon-to-be 13-year-old girl who has recently relocated with her overworked mother and rather odious older sister from Switzerland to Reggio Calabria on Italy’s southern coast.” – Andréa Picard
- BEVERLY HILLS COP 35mm d. Martin Brest, 1984 + Intro by Rose Matafeo at The Prince Charles (29 SEP 20:30).
- THE BROOD d. David Cronenberg, 1979 at The Prince Charles (29 SEP 18:10).
- CONVERGENCE d. Orlando von Einsiedel, 2021 + Q&A with the director & co-director/contributor Hassan Akkad at BFI (29 SEP 19:00).
- COPILOT d. Anne Zohra Berrached, 2021 at Goethe-Institut (29 SEP 19:00 – Also online for one week).
- CORPO CELESTE d. Alice Rohrwacher, 2011 + Short: STABAT MATER d. Nina Danino, 1990 presented by The Machine That Kills Bad People at ICA (29 SEP 18:45).
- Final Girls Berlin Film Festival “Best of” Programme horror shorts by female & non binary filmmakers presented by Zodiac Film Club at The Castle Cinema (29 SEP 18:45).
- GUNPOWDER MILKSHAKE d. Navot Papushado, 2021 at The Prince Charles (29 SEP 13:20 – Digital).
- LA RONDE 35mm d. Max Ophuls, 1950 at Ciné Lumière (29 SEP 18:20).
- MURDER IN PARIS d. Enver Samuel, 2021 + Zoom Q&A with the director at Bertha DocHouse (29 SEP 18:15).
- OLIVER SACKS: HIS OWN LIFE d. Ric Burns, 2019 + Recorded Q&A at: ArtHouse Crouch End (29 SEP 20:15); Curzon Cinemas (29 SEP 21:00); Everyman Cinemas (29 SEP various); The Lexi Cinema (29 SEP 20:15); Phoenix Cinema (29 SEP 20:00); Rio Cinema (29 SEP 18:00).
- Philosophical Screens: Temptation and Coincidence in Double Indemnity at BFI (29 SEP 20:00).
- SILVER STREAK 4k d. Arthur Hiller, 1976 at BFI (29 SEP 20:45).
- STRAWBERRY AND CHOCOLATE 35mm aka Fresa y chocolate d. Tomás Gutiérrez Alea & Juan Carlos Tabío, 1995 at The Prince Charles (29 SEP 20:45) / Part of CASA Film Festival.
- SUPERNOVA d. Harry Macqueen, 2021 at Screen25Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (29 SEP 19:45)
- THE WARRIOR QUEEN OF JHANSI d. Swati Bhise, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (29 SEP 20:00).
- MARTHA: A PICTURE STORY d. Selina Miles, 2019 + Q&A presented online by Doc’n Roll at House Of Vans (29 SEP to 01 OCT – FREE).
- 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU d. Gil Junger, 1999 at The Luna Cinema at Brompton Cemetery (29 SEP 19:30).
- Alyssa: Tunisian Film Festival (25 to 26 SEP).
- CASA Festival (01 to 29 SEP).
- Crystal Palace International Film Festval (09 SEP to 02 OCT).
- EFN Short Film Festival (27 SEP to 01 OCT).
- Japanese Avant-garde & Experimental Film Festival (16 to 19 SEP at Barbican / 20 to 30 SEP online).
- Little Wing Film Festival (21 to 26 SEP).
- Loco Shorts Weekender (24 to 26 SEP).
- London Indian Film Festival Autumn Edition (18 to 30 SEP).
- London Spanish Film Festival (23 to 29 SEP).
- New Renaissance Film Festival (24 to 26 SEP).
- Queer East Film Festival (15 to 26 SEP).
- Unrestricted View Horror Film Festival (20 to 25 SEP).
- Women Over 50 Film Festival (25 SEP to 02 OCT).
- World Cinema Film Festival (24 to 25 SEP / Online 19 to 26 SEP).
- Also (24 to 30 SEP various dates/times): DUNE d. David Lynch, 1984 at: Genesis Cinema / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema // THE GREEN KNIGHT d. David Lowery, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Cinema in the Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Olympic Studios / Phoenix Cinema // PICTURE STORIES d. Rob West, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // SWEETHEART d. Marley Morrison, 2021 at: BFI / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
- Crap Film Club presents ONE MAN FORCE at The Old Queens Head (03 OCT 2022)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.