WEDNESDAY 30 MARCH 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
ONE CUT OF THE DEAD d. Shin’ichirô Ueda, 2017 presented & introduced by The Evolution of Horror podcast (30 MAR 21:00) / Part of ONE AND DONE at Genesis Cinema:
“A cast of relative unknowns, a brilliantly disguised low budget and an epic, 37-minute opening single take makes Shin’ichirô Ueda’s feature debut a bright, breezy and laugh-out-loud hilarious zombie comedy. A film crew is shooting a zombie horror flick in an abandoned water filtration plant, allegedly used for human experiments by the military. Just as the director browbeats his actors and demands more special effects blood, a real zombie apocalypse erupts, much to his auteur delight. Packed with meta-movie references as mocking as they are loving, this relentless takedown of the Living Dead genre is a total blast.” (Genesis Cinema)
- THE AUDITION d. Ina Weisse, 2022 + Q&A with the director & actor Nina Hoss at Picturehouse Finsbury Park (30 MAR 18:15).
- EXIL d. Visar Morina, 2020 at Goethe-Institut London (30 MAR 19:00). Also available to stream online (30 MAR to 06 APR).
- THE GODFATHER PART II d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1974 at Genesis Cinema (30 MAR 19:30 / 31 MAR 19:30).
- HOSTILE d. Sonita Gale, 2021 Q&A with the director at Curzon Soho (30 MAR 18:15).
- MADNESS: TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT d. Dave Robinson, 1981 + Q&A with the director & Suggs at Olympic Studios (30 MAR 20:00).
- MARIO PUZO’S THE GODFATHER, CODA: THE DEATH OF MICHAEL CORLEONE d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1990 at Everyman Cinemas (30 MAR various).
- MARIO PUZO’S THE GODFATHER, CODA: THE DEATH OF MICHAEL CORLEONE d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1990 at The Cinema In The Arches (30 MAR 20:00).
- Ukraine Fundraiser: OLGA d. Elie Grappe, 2021 at Chiswick Cinema (30 MAR 18:00).
- Ukraine Fundraiser: OLGA d. Elie Grappe, 2021 at Everyman Cinemas (30 MAR 18:00).
- RESPECT d. Liesl Tommy, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (30 MAR 20:00 / 03 APR 17:00).
- SOUTH: SIR ERNEST SHACKLETON’S GLORIOUS EPIC OF THE ANTARCTIC d. Frank Hurley, 1919 at Picturehouse Cinemas (25 to 31 MAR various).
- SOUTH: SIR ERNEST SHACKLETON’S GLORIOUS EPIC OF THE ANTARCTIC d. Frank Hurley, 1919 at Riverside Studios (30 MAR 12:30).
- WHEEL OF FORTUNE AND FANTASY d. Ryûsuke Hamaguchi, 2021 at The David Lean (30 MAR 19:30 / 31 MAR 14:30 & 19:30).
- WRITING WITH FIRE d. Sushmit Ghosh & Rintu Thomas, 2021 presented by Southall Black Sisters at Watermans (30 MAR 19:00).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 04 APR various); INCENDIES 35mm d. Denis Villeneuve, 2010 (30 MAR 20:45).
ANIME at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): INU-OH d. Masaaki Yuasa, 2021 preview (30 MAR 18:15); MOMOTARO’S DIVINE SEA WARRIORS aka Momotaro: Umi no Shinpei d. Mitsuyo Seo, 1945 (30 MAR 21:00).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): ALINE, THE VOICE OF LOVEd. Valérie Lemercier, 2020 (30 MAR 18:00); PARIS 13TH DISTRICT aka Les Olympiades d. Jacques Audiard, 2021 (until 31 MAR various).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): ORDET aka The Word d. Carl Dreyer, 1955 + Intro by Geoff Andrew, Programmer-at-Large (30 MAR 17:45).
CELEBRATING MARLON BRANDO at The Garden Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE MEN d. Fred Zinnemann, 1950 (30 MAR 18:30).
DENIS VILLENEUVE: IN REVERSE at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): INCENDIES 35mm d. Denis Villeneuve, 2010 (30 MAR 20:45).
LIV ULLMANN: FACE TO FACE at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): PERSONA d. Ingmar Bergman, 1966 + Intro by Tricia Tuttle, BFI Festivals Director (30 MAR 20:50).
ONE AND DONE at Genesis Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): ONE CUT OF THE DEAD d. Shin’ichirô Ueda, 2017 presented & introduced by The Evolution of Horror podcast (30 MAR 21:00).
OSCAR NOMINEES at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): PARALLEL MOTHERS d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2021 (25 to 31 MAR); LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 04 APR various).
OSCAR® WEEK at Barbican
- Includes (check venue for full listings): FLEE d. Jonas Poher Ramussen, 2021 (30 MAR 18:15); THE POWER OF THE DOG d. Jane Campion, 2021 (30 MAR 20:20).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): SPIRITED AWAY d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2001 (from 26 MAR).
THREE BY SATYAJIT RAY at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): PATHER PANCHALI d. Satyajit Ray, 1955 (30 MAR 18:00).
- The Banff Mountain Film Festival (14 to 25 MAR).
- BFI Flare (16 to 27 MAR).
- Essay Film Festival (19 MAR to 23 APR).
- Hong Kong Film Festival (19 to 27 MAR).
- Human Rights Watch Film Festival (17 to 25 MAR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 03 APR).
Ukraine Fundraiser: CHERNOBYL: THE LOST TAPES d. James Jones, 2022:
- Various venues, inc: Bertha DocHouse
THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD aka Verdens verste menneske d. Joachim Trier, 2021:
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / Genesis Cinema / ICA / The Lexi Cinema /Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix
- Also 25 to 31 MAR (various dates/times): CHOPPER: 20th Anniversary d. Andrew Dominik, 2000 at: Genesis Cinemas / Prince Charles Cinema // ESCAPE FROM MOGADISHU d. Seung-wan Ryu, 2021: Curzon Cinemas // SIN LA HABANA d. Kaveh Nabatian, 2021 at: JW3 // VALLEY OF SOULS aka Tantas almas d. Nicolás Rincón Gille, 2019 at: ICA // XUETA ISLAND d. Ofer Laszewicki, Dani Rotstein & Felipe Wolokita, 2021 at: JW3 (from 29 MAR).
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.